Dystopia

Skip to content

Change font size

Our Last Days as Children

Re: Our Last Days as Children

Postby Zach Kaiser on Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:18 am

Eld quickly put on his clothes from yesterday and tossed whatever shirt he was wearing aside; he didn't know where it came from and he didn't particularly want to. At least most of their clothes, both worn and won, were conveniently in a pile.

Really, he wanted nothing more than to follow Etsu's example and crawl into bed (the other bed) and hide from the world for as long as he could get away with. But chances were there were people at home worrying about them as they hadn't come back, and it was going to be hard to figuring out what exactly he was going to say to them.

He glanced at Etsu. He felt like he should say something...apologize, maybe, or explain or reassure her or anything really, but he couldn't bring himself to. He was too ashamed; he didn't have the right to say anything to her right now. He was older, and had been basically in charge; it was all his fault.

So he continued to prepare in silence, trying to ignore the pounding of his head. It was going to be a long walk home...

Signature by Nate-o
Zach Kaiser
Broseiden: God of the Brocean

Postby Nayt on Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:41 am

Not long after Eld dressed himself, she got up and did the same. She didn't even bother staying modest. They'd done a lot worse than just look at each other last night. Her head was pounding too much for her to care, anyways. She undressed and redressed in the clothes she'd come to Galaens in, and with that she was as ready and able to leave the city as she was going to get. No matter what she did, this headache wasn't going away for the rest of the day, nor was the nausea, so she was better off just getting home ASAP.

They didn't speak a word to each other for a long, long time. In fact, it wasn't until they were back in Hillcrest, just entering the town, that Etsu spoke a word.

". . . what are you going to ter-rr Akizetsumei-chan?"

It was the most important question on her mind, and the one she'd been mulling over more than any other before it. She'd never wanted to get in the way of Eld's relationships . . .
Nayt
Olympic Badminton Champion

Postby Zach Kaiser on Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:48 pm

Eld stopped and sighed. It was a question he'd been thinking about ever since his head had stopped pounding too much to give anything serious consideration, plaguing his mind worse than any hangover headache could hope to.

"...I don't know," he admitted. What could he say? How did one even bring up something like this? The only thing he knew was that he couldn't hide it; Akizetsumei had the right to know, as much as it would hurt her...even it meant he risked losing her. "I won't lie, though."

It had been a mistake that he was certain he'd never make sober. If nothing else it would serve a good lesson to him; he'd had alcohol before, usually at Sarah's insistence, but this was the first time he'd ever had cause to regret it for any reason other than getting sick.

Signature by Nate-o
Zach Kaiser

Postby Nayt on Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:14 pm

"Sou desu ka," Etsu sighed.

That was kind of disappointing, actually. It . . . well, that just wasn't going to end well at all. This was the sort of thing that ended better with a secret. If Etsu and Eld were both capable of keeping a secret, they'd be just fine. No harm done to anyone.

"Ar-rr right, then," she rolled her shoulders.

Somehow, she was able to deduce that this was all Eld's fault somehow. Probably because he purchased and provided alcohol. Yes, this was most definitely Eld's fault. It was a fragile deduction, a mask of rationality that made her feel a little bit better about herself.

"I wish you . . . best of r-ruck?" It was the least she could do.
Nayt

Postby Zach Kaiser on Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:41 pm

Etsu took that rather well, he thought. He'd figured she'd insist they keep it a secret--after all, while it was his relationship that would be in jeopardy if word somehow spread around about what happened, it would probably be her that it reflected more poorly on. While he didn't intend to tell anybody but Akizetsumei, the rumor mill had an odd way of putting pieces together and being at least mostly right.

"Thank you. Umm...I'm sorry. I should've been more responsible." While the exact sequence of events wasn't terribly clear to him even now, he knew it was a situation he shouldn't have even allowed them to get in.

Signature by Nate-o
Zach Kaiser

Postby Nayt on Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:15 am

She was really, genuinely hoping that Eld was going to suggest they keep all that a secret. Ugh. Well, whatever. If he wanted to open up that can of worms, then by all means. Etsu wasn't going to stop him. It wasn't like she had to deal with it, right?

Nearly an hour of silence passed between them, every minutes of which resembling the process of waiting for the world’s end. It was the first time Etsu and Akizetsumei of Terra had been alone together since Akizets learned of Etsu and Eld’s “night out.” And yet, Akizetsumei was not too terribly angry. She’d already talked with Eld about it. She was fully versed on what happened, and she knew that Eld was sorry—and she’d forgiven him readily. She knew how she felt about Eld and she knew she didn’t want to be apart from him.

She hadn’t even considered breaking up with him. In fact, she didn’t feel any less determined to give him a particularly important gift . . .

No, Akizets wasn’t angry with anyone. She was merely confused by the whole situation. Why had it happened? Eld said it had nothing to do with her and that she shouldn’t blame herself, but that didn’t stop Akizets from drawing the connections.

And so the silence persisted. She came to confront Etsu, but lost her courage the second Etsu let her into her room. They’d taken to sitting far apart on Etsu’s bed (because it was the only place to sit), and their voices failed to rise from their throats.

Finally, though, Etsu broke the silence. “I am sorry,” she said with a tone no louder than a whisper.

“S—“ Akizets felt the small urge to snap a little, “Sorry?”

Etsu felt intensely awkward. “. . . hai.”

“Just . . . sorry?”

Etsu didn’t respond. She couldn’t. She had no idea what to say, and she didn’t exactly want to upset this girl.

“Y-you’re not even gonna tell me why?” Akizets turned to face Etsu at long last.

“. . . why?” Etsu wrinkled her brow.

“Why it happened!” Akizets exclaimed meekly.

Etsu bit her lower lip. She felt even more awkward than ever before. Now because she didn’t want to answer Akizetsumei. She didn’t want to tell her the truth.

Needless to say, Akizets was a bit frustrated by this. “W-was it ‘cause I’m too afraid? ‘C-‘cause I don’t do those things with Eld? ‘C-‘cause I can! I can do everything you did and I can stop being scared of it!”

The . . . implication . . . it cut Etsu deeper than she’d ever wanted to admit. She felt a flash of anger . . .

“What is that to mean?” she asked lowly.

Akizetsumei’s breath caught when she saw Etsu staring back at her. Glaring back at her.

“Things wour-rd happen because I wour-rd do them?” Etsu said, the rage in her voice evident, “So it is ar-rr my faur-rt be-cause I am r-roose woman?”

Akizets backed away—scooted away, rather—as Etsu clared at her with an anger that only Eld ever experience before. She felt a moment flash of fear, one for her own safety.

“N-no!” Akizets exclaimed frightfully, “Th-that’s not what I meant at all!”

Etsu promptly stood from her bed. She marched around the side until she stood before Akizetsumei, until she cut off all exits.

“Then what?” Etsu asked lowly, “What did you mean?”

Akizets tried to back away, but she was sitting. She had nowhere to go but on her back.

“Th-that—“ Akizets stammered, “Eldridge m-might’ve b-been, um, f-frustrated, a-and—“

“And I, as r-roose woman, was there to take care of that?” Etsu snapped.

The youngest daughter of Terra was left speechless. She’d been trying to avoid it, trying to think of things in a more positive light—but in the end, Etsu was right. In the end, Akizets kind of thought she was a little slutty for having foolded around with Akizetsumei’s boyfriend.

“M. . .” Akizets whispered, “Mayb—“

She couldn’t get all of it out, as the slap that interrupted her could be heard from rooms away. One fell swoops threw Akizets to her side, left clutching her face in pain. She’d never been slapped before. She’d never even been hit before. It was so different from being thrown from a horse, less of a pain in the body and more of a pain in the heart.

Akizetsumei of Terra suddenly wanted to cry.

“I-I-I . . .” she whimpered, “I’m s-sorry . . .”

Etsu’s rage hadn’t settled, though. She didn’t feel done here. She wanted to rip this girl’s world to pieces. She merely lacked the material . . .

“I-I didn’t-- I didn’t want this, honest!” Akizets sniffled, “I di—didn’t want t-t hurt you o-or make you mad o-or . . .”

“Then what did you want?” Etsu practically growled.

“I-I just—“ she whimpered, “I-“

Still laid out on her side, Akizets felt utterly pathetic. Hopeless. She’d lost her steam, lost all the will to stand up and confront Etsu ever again. She was beaten into submission by the girl and was afraid to sit up. Afraid to get hit again.

“I-I wanted t-to know why i-it h-happened, th-tha—“

There was more to that, but Akizets lacked the strength to muster it. And now, Etsu could tell. She could see how fragile this girl was and she knew exactly how to break her. Eld and Etsu’s relationship was special. The fact of the matter was that they were simply good together. They complemented each other perfectly, and as lovers, everything felt completely natural. They were meant to be together. That’s why things happened between them.

Akizets bunched up; she brought her knees to her chest and laid flat on her side, curled up like a scared child. It was only then that Etsu saw the futility of her rage.

“I-I-“ Akizets whimpered, now on the precipice of tears, “I don’t wanna lose him. I-I love him. I really really do . . .”

More and more, the fires in Etsu’s heart quelled. She became aware of herself. Aware of what she was doing. It was like she had a wounded kitten in her arms, hurt and afraid and searching for something, some kind of future, and she was poised and ready to break this kitten’s neck. Etsu frowned at herself.

“I-I w-wanna kn-know—wh- what I- what I gotta do to k-keep him . . .”

Etsu slumped down, gradually lowered herself to the floor and mentally barraged herself for what she’d almost done. She shook her head. She couldn’t tell this girl the truth. She couldn’t break her world down.

“Akizetsumei-chan,” Etsu took in a deep breath and sighed, “You are right. It is because I am r-roose woman . . .”

That was the last thing Akizets had expected to hear. She poked her head up slowly, cautiously, afraid it was all a trap. But what she saw was the dark haired girl slumped down, sulking her head and shoulders.

“I am sorry,” Etsu said again.

Akizets sat up. She felt a little bit of courage returning to her. Her face still stung, though, and with her heart returning, she was reminded of how much that hurt. What was a lot! Etsu was super strong!

“Th-then why did y-you hit me . . .?” Akizets asked, wholly unable to mask how dejected she felt.

“Be-cause,” Etsu sighed again, “I am not used to this . . .”

“Oh . . .” Akizets trailed off. So, Etsu over-reacted out of a total lack of experience? That made sense enough to her.

“W-well,” She rubbed her cheek, “I—it’s okay, j-just—please, um, don’t do that? ‘Cause that really hurt!”
Etsu nodded slightly. “I wir-rr try.”

"Eld, I swear if you don't sit and stop pacin', I'm gonna hog tie your ass an' leave you all night."

They were in Sarah's room. The door was shut. It was night. And Eld was nervous as all holy hell. With good reason, of course. Hi girlfriend had just gone off to confront a girl with a history of random acts of bitchery, and Sarah had taken him away to keep him from interfering.

Also, she had once before hog tied him, gagged him, and left him in her barn for a few hours before. It was hilarious and no amount of whining from Eld could convince her otherwise. If he dserved it again (because he no doubt deserved it the first time, though for posterity's sake, they refrained from ever regarding that incident ever again), she was not against committing another war crime or two.
Nayt

Postby Zach Kaiser on Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:52 pm

Eld paused, and glanced at Sarah, trying to decide if she was serious or not, and ultimately concluding that he didn't want to risk a repeat of that incident, so he went and sat on her bed. Sitting still was nearly impossible; he was currently the embodiment of nervous energy.

It was one of those situations that he just couldn't see any good coming of. Getting answers out of Etsu of any kind was generally only moderately more difficult than pulling teeth. From a hungry wolf. That and while Akizetsumei could be trusted to keep the peace pretty much no matter what, Etsu was much more temperamental. He only hoped that just because she thought nothing of throwing a fist his way if the mood struck her didn't mean that she'd give Akizetsumei the same consideration.

If it weren't for the fact that alcohol was what had gotten him into this mess in the first place, he'd have asked Sarah to sneak them some drinks.

"But...there's not really any way this can end well, is there?" he asked. At least he couldn't see any; at best, he figured Etsu would just shut out Akizetsumei out and ignore her pleas to talk.

Signature by Nate-o
Zach Kaiser

Postby Nayt on Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:33 pm

Finally, he sat down. Sarah briefly wanted to pat him on the head and say "good boy." But then that brought up all kinds of weird connotations (like when a dog does a good thing, you give him a biscuit--but what constitutes and Eld-biscuit?), so she dropped the thought like a bad hat.

"Man, I understand," Sarah finally said.

She had to level with him eventually, she just didn't want to do it too early. If she did that, he'd convince her to do more to help than just keep him in check. He was a charismatic enough guy to pull it off.

"Honestly, Eld, let's just be blunt. Etsu's a bitch. Plain and simple," Sarah paused, "But that's part of why I love 'er. She tells it like it is, punches people she thinks deserves it, and doesn't even give a fuck. It's beautiful."

Okay, so leveling with Eld turned into admiring Etsu. Whatever--at least she didn't talk about those things she wanted to do whenever Etsu spent the night at her place.

"Er . . . uh, okay, how about this. Akizets is like a dainty princess fighting a dragon, or what it is that happens in the shit you read. Sure, a handsome knight," she mimicked a blatantly fake swoon, "can save the day, but if the princess don't get the courage to stick up for herself, then she's just gonna keep gettin' locked up in towers by dragons all the damn time."

The best simile Sarah ever invented, truly.
Nayt

Postby Zach Kaiser on Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:13 pm

"...That's closer to Kyo's reading preference," he pointed out. Though he refrained from thinking too hard about the analogy, particularly about what it would say about the prince's preferences.

"I get what you mean, but...I guess I feel more like an evil wizard who's cast a spell on the princess. And now at any moment the spell will break...and she'll realize I'm no prince."

He flopped onto his back with a sigh. "Not that I'd have any right to complain..." Of course, knowing that he didn't deserve Akizetsumei didn't stop him from wanting her anyway. Love was selfish like that.

Signature by Nate-o
Zach Kaiser

Postby Nayt on Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:25 pm

"What?" Sarah lifted a brow.

Man, was Eld still feeling low about that? Sarah frowned. Well, she guessed she couldn't blame him. Too much, at least. Alcohol was involved, though. That kind of excused a lot of what happened . . . much of which was still kind of vague. Eld and Etsu had ideas about what happened, of course, based entirely on how clothed (or not clothed) they were in the morning, but it was still just vague ideas . . .

"I don't think you cast any spells on her," Sarah rolled her eyes, "Way I see it, she just wants to be with you, and you were, uh, kinda genuine with your apology."

Sarah plopped down on her back next to him. She was quiet for a moment, mulling over those little details about Eld's apology. After a second, she turned her head to him and grinned.

"Honestly, when I heard you almost cried, I didn't think for a second you were jokin'."
Nayt

Postby Zach Kaiser on Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:40 pm

"H-Hey..." he protested weakly, blushing. Not that he could argue, as it was true. That didn't mean he really wanted it to be brought up.

"I-In any case, thanks for looking out for my best interests," he said, trying to change the subject. "It seems I'm not all that great at doing it myself." Not that this was probably news to Sarah, but it was fairly novel to him. He'd always considered himself to be fairly reliable.

Signature by Nate-o
Zach Kaiser

Postby Nayt on Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:57 pm

"Well, yeah," she replied, "You're a guy. You're hopeless by default."

It was a joke, of course. But you never know, sometimes Eld took jokes a little personally, especially when he was feeling down or stressed out. Like now.

"But . . . no," she reached her arm over and tapped him on the belly with her knuckles, "Really, I just wanna see you happy and successful, man. You and her both."

Which meant she was willing to do a lot more than just keep Eld under control, though it would've been begrudging if it all. She didn't exactly want to thrust herself into Eld and Akizetsumei's relationship. That was exactly why she stopped fooling around with Eld awhile back . . .
Nayt

Postby Zach Kaiser on Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:07 pm

Eld gave her a small pout at first; it wasn't like he was always hopeless! Just...pretty much when it came to relationships. His track record in that regard was less than stellar so far.

But then he smiled at her. "Thanks. I appreciate having someone look out for me--well, us." Sarah was truly his best friend; he knew he could count on her to be in his corner no matter what else happened.

He thought to what most of his friends would say, and he imagined varying degrees of berating. Which caused a thought to cross his mind. "Ugh...Kyo's going to kill me if he finds about this," he groaned.

Signature by Nate-o
Zach Kaiser

Postby Nayt on Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:44 pm

"Maybe," Sarah replied, "I'll at least keep him from stabbin' you."

Toushikyo had a sword. This was something she imagined he'd actually make use of if he was angry enough. Toushikyo was kind of a twig, though, so if he wound up coming up to Eld with a sword at his hip, Sarah could always disarm him and leave him to his own devices.

"Can't promise I won't keep him from punchin' you, though. I mean, you might deserve a tiny punch at least," Sarah remarked with a shrug of her shoulders.

Hey, he cheated. Sometimes that ended in being punched. Too much punching was a bad thing, though. Sarah could at least keep that from happening. Honestly, though, all that mattered was that Akizetsumei forgave Eld, and was able to tough up and move on.

Speaking of . . .

It actually wasn't too much longer before a knock came about on the door to Sarah's room. Sarah sat up and climbed out of bed after a moment, groaning as she did. Her back hurt after a long week of work; she'd have demanded a back rub from Eld if he weren't so down in the dumps. What she saw when she opened the door was a girl in a huff. It was Akizetsumei. She seemed to have tears still in her eyes, but was wearing a look of defiance against the urge to cry. The reason, of course, would be evident: one cheek was very, very red.
Nayt

Postby Zach Kaiser on Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:56 pm

"Thanks for that, I suppose," Eld replied dryly.

Further conversation was interrupted by Akizetsumei's entrance. He leaned up to see her, but all it took was one glance and he jumped up to his feet with enough force that Sarah would probably get bounced a bit from the recoil.

"A-Akizetsumei! Are you alright?" He rushed over to her and placed his hands on her shoulders, inspecting the damage. For the moment, the terrifying possibility that whatever happened would cause her to decide he wasn't worth it after all vanished from his mind, replaced with concern for her.

Signature by Nate-o
Zach Kaiser

PreviousNext

Return to Paradiso