It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Destiny's Odd Ways
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:44 am 
Broseiden: God of the Brocean

The sense of emotion came back, this time one almost completely of happiness, touched with a bit of concern. It was her words that surprised him more, though...they actually caused him to relax a bit himself. There was no call for him to make any difficult decisions, to examine his own feelings deeply, or to break someone's heart. She just asked him if this, right here, was alright with him. And it was.

"Yeah," he replied, "it's fine."

Though, nice as it was, holding her up constantly was a little uncomfortable for him, and he imagined it was a bit for her as well. Gently, he pulled her down so they were both sitting, Etsu in front of him with his legs on either side of hers, keeping his arms where they were. Though he knew that they'd have to continue the bath soon, and finish cleaning before the water cooled, for the moment he was content where he was.

Signature by Nate-o

Profile  •  •  
 •  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:47 am 
Storyteller

Destiny's Odd Ways, page 102

Profile  •  •  
 •  
Olympic Badminton Champion

"N-nani desu ka . . .?!" Etsu practically jumped back in the bed.

And all of a sudden, the stared of everyone else made sense. Sarah and Mayako had looked at Etsu earlier as if she had said something terribly blasphemous--something along the lines of suggesting that she had sex with Eld. That's why Sarah had gotten so angry, and why Mayako had become very silent. The notion that Etsu may have done that, and that Eld may have been covering it up, would give them every right to be angry or sad. Etsu's hands clung tightly to her blankets, her eyes downcast, body shaking just a bit. She couldn't believe what she had just said. Of course, it wasn't her fault--she didn't speak Common as a primary language, but to everyone that did . . . they had heard something quite disturbing.

"Er-rd-kun and I . . . did no do that . . . th-that is onr-ry for married coupr-re . . ." Etsu whimpered, her voice sounding sad--slowly closing in on the brink of tears, in fact, ". . . a-and I am no r-rike that . . . pr-rease do no think of me r-rike that . . ."

That's exactly what scared Etsu the most about this: that they'd think of her as a whore or a slut. Etsu didn't want to go too fast with anything; she couldn't even bring herself to kiss Eld, and not just because of Mayako and Sarah. She wasn't ready for something like that yet--that was too far away, and even if she wanted it, she wasn't prepared for it. The last thing she wanted to be considered was anything remotely related to a harlot or "loose" girl. Sarah had called her something along those lines yesterday; the insult stuck, though she didn't let on. It just needed to be prompted again for Etsu to feel it; and the result was this: the young Reaper sitting up in bed, whimpering, almost ready to start bordering on the brink of tears . . .

Profile  •  •  
 •  

Again, Eld reacted with surprise. He'd expected Etsu to be embarrassed, and possibly even attempt to hide under the covers, but he hadn't expected her to be this upset. It wasn't even that she was worried for his sake, either; for once, she was concerned about what people thought of her.

"We don't think that," Eld reassured, giving a sympathetic smile. He glanced back and looked at the other girls, a silent request for them to back him up on this. "You just didn't know what it meant to us...and now you do. It's not a big deal, Etsu."

Unlike Sarah and Mayako, who both wanted to get physically closer to him as well as emotionally, Etsu seemed rather worried she was getting too close to him too fast. It clicked in his head when he recalled her needing assurance in the bath that it was still just friendly. Perhaps it was because of her younger age, or that (Eld suspected) she didn't have much social experience, but either way it was fine by him. Though he was unaware of her attempts to kiss him, had he known he would have now understood her actions.

Signature by Nate-o

Profile  •  •  
 •  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:48 am 

"Etsu . . . ?" Emma spoke the girl's name, taken aback by this reaction, "We . . . weren't saying that . . ."

"Yeah--c'mon Blueberry," Sarah spoke reassuringly much like Eld had, "We're just givin' ya a hard time, that's all."

Only for married couples? Mayako thought to herself. It was strange; that was actually a value that wasn't instilled in her. All of her values stemmed from her father's religion. Abstinence was absent in that doctrine. Polygamy and promiscuity? Those were preached against, but there was no thorough statement that sex should not occur outside of the bounds of wedlock. The reason that this confused Mayako was because of conflicting values: while she had been taught that it was best to save herself for someone that was important to her and that it was also all right to have a child with someone (but that she should try and save that for later in life at the very least), Etsu--a Reaper, someone much closer to Saqin than Mayako's father--spoke differently. Maybe it was just the way that Etsu was raised, but . . . it still made very little sense.

"Y-yeah . . ." Mayako agreed with Eld and everyone else, "We d-don't thi-think of you like that, don't worry . . ."

Four people were more than enough to convince the Reaper. Etsu looked at the sheets before her, loosening her grip upon them. Still, she was worried about them possibly thinking that--maybe . . . she'd have to talk less about things that she did with Eld. Strangely, she didn't once consider the possibility of reducing her proximity to Eld.

"O-kay . . ." Etsu whispered shyly as she relaxed a bit. "G-gomenasai . . ."

Profile  •  •  
 •  

"It's alright...you didn't know what it meant." She could hardly be blamed for not knowing the ins and outs of a language that wasn't her first one. The only truly bilingual of them was Mayako, though he wouldn't be surprised if Emma had studied another language. It was something he felt a little bad over; being half-Cizokian, he felt he should know the language, but he only knew some words and phrases.

Eld didn't know much about where his own morals on the subject lay; until recently it had been a non-issue with him. Even having one girl after him seemed impossible, let alone three. It was something he'd have to think on.

Signature by Nate-o

Profile  •  •  
 •  

And that's where conversation died off for a minutes. Etsu had felt bad, and none of the other girls really knew what to say after that. Sarah wanted to say something to break the silence, feeling it to be too uncomfortable, but couldn't think of a thing. Mayako and Emma, on the other hand, weren't as uncomfortable. It helped that Emma had ideas, though--she wasn't about to let Etsu sulk just because she felt ignorant or something along those lines--which wasn't that far from the truth. Etsu did feel badly for not knowing enough about the language, fearing that it might become a barrier to communication. Etsu had enough communication barriers as it was, she didn't need anymore.

"I have to say--it's kind of a shame, though," Emma noted aloud, "That you two didn't do anything. I mean . . . Etsu is pretty cute. I'd certainly be tempted."

It was a familiar tactic. Embarrass Etsu in order to make cheer her up--that was the same thing that Eld did to Emma earlier. And it worked. Etsu's cheeks turned red immediately, with the Reaper staring at her blankets intently. This was the second time another girl had complimented her. Last time, it was Mayako--and the same result came about: Etsu didn't know how to react, so she said nothing, just staring down, blushing a deep red.

"Y-you think so, too . . .?" Mayako blurted out.

Only after realizing that Sarah and Emma were both looking at her funny did Mayako's face turn about as red as Etsu's currently was. For Emma to say something off like that . . . that was almost expectable. Emma said off-the-wall things just to get to people sometimes, more often than not used to trick someone or cheer them up a bit, just like she was trying to do with Etsu. Mayako, though--well, only Eld and Etsu had seen her say anything like that, and Emma had a great deal of suspicions. Mayako covered her mouth as if she'd said something sinful or deeply offending. What could be worse than calling Etsu cute? Suggesting that she might have done "improper" things with her if she'd been sleeping next to her, that's what.

As attention was placed upon Mayako, Etsu quietly slipped away, laying down flat and tugging her blankets up and over her head, hiding from the others while Mayako accidentally drew attention to herself . . .

Profile  •  •  
 •  

Eld gave Emma an odd look first, before catching on to what she was trying to do. He was about to prompt her by asking about what she was tempted to do, but Mayako spoke before he could.

He added his own stare at her...it was the second time she had said something like that regarding Etsu, and while he normally wouldn't have inferred much by it, Mayako's own reaction plus what Emma had told her about her suspicions of Mayako...well, he couldn't help but wonder if some of those suspicions were right.

I wonder if Etsu understands what they're talking about? He glanced at her, only to find her absent save for a form under the covers of the bed. It was a bizarre habit, and one Eld couldn't help but interfere with. He reached over and pulled the covers down as he usually did, exposing at least her head once more to the world.

Signature by Nate-o

Profile  •  •  
 •  

"I-I di-didn't say anything . . ." Mayako whispered from behind her hands.

Sarah was about ready to say su~re ya didn't, but she was distracted by Etsu. Sarah didn't see the blue hair out of the corner of her eyes anymore--this being strange, she glanced. Low and behold, she saw only a heavy blanket covering the outline of the Reaper's body. That was . . . so obscure that Sarah didn't even have a word to describe it. Emma hadn't seen this tendency, either--and Mayako had not, as well. Eld was the only one who had; he'd been the only one up to this point who had embarrassed Etsu enough that she felt the need to hide away and pretend that she wasn't there anymore. Seeing this habit was new to the girls.

"What . . . is she doing . .?" Emma addressed the question to Sarah.

Sarah glanced over to Emma beside of her. "I ain't too sure . . ."

Mayako's gaze shifted to Eld when he pulled the blanket down from over Etsu's head. The result of this caused Mayako to stare--not quite considering "inappropriate" things, but rather . . . just staring at Etsu. She hadn't seen another girl do this before--not the hiding part, but be as cute as she now found Etsu to be . . .

Etsu had laid on her side and curled up into a ball before Eld had tugged the blanket down. As she bit her thumbnail again, the blanket was pulled down enough to show her head, revealing Etsu, childishly biting her thumbnail, innocently staring up at Eld, truly looking her age--perhaps even a year or two younger than she really was. This was a sight that Eld had seen before, but the others hadn't. The thoughts that the girls had at that point been in complete unison: wow, that's downright adorable.

"Huh. You know, I was actually just picking on her . . . but that is about as cute as one can get, I think . . ." Emma noted aloud.

Sarah even agreed. "Strange, but . . yeah . . ."

Hearing this, Etsu's cheeks turned even redder. So many compliments . . . she didn't know how to take it, understand it, reply--she didn't personally think that she was that attractive but . . . with so many positive statements, she couldn't help but reconsider how she appeared to other people. That didn't stop her from being embarrassed, though. He face was as red as humanly possible, and instead of biting her thumbnail, she bit her lower lip and kept her hand in a light fist before her lips. First thing was first, though: shut her eyes tightly, let out a quiet whine, and try and take her blanket back--which she could try and pull back over her head again.

Profile  •  •  
 •  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:49 am 

Eld could only shake his head. "You know, most people want to hide when they're insulted and take compliments rather well, not the other way around," he noted with a grin. She was cute, though he didn't add his own sentiments, recalling what Emma had said about how it would be taken if he said it. Too cute, in fact, for him to allow her to hide like she wanted. He continued holding the blanket to prevent it.

Deciding a little less teasing and a little more help might be in order, he leaned a little bit, though she wouldn't notice with her eyes closed. "You know, you're going to have to get used to compliments eventually," he noted. "Besides, getting embarrassed is only going to encourage them."

He didn't realize that the problem was that she didn't know how to react...if that was the case, he could probably offer some better advice.

Signature by Nate-o

Profile  •  •  
 •  

The girl's attempts of hiding came to no fruition as Eld kept the blanket from moving up anymore. Immediately, Etsu looked up to him, feeling a bit of panic. Her heart raced and breathing quickened, reminiscent of the feeling she could get when backed into a corner or bad situation without escape--by default, fight or flight instincts kicked in, and Etsu was the type to try and back away and run. But seeings as this was Eld before her, she calmed a bit, but still . . . the slight panic had been there, and Eld was close enough to see. Etsu's social skills were worse than they originally seemed . . . and, for that matter, being in this situation, however minor and casual, still nearly invoked a panic attack--a potential result of trauma. That could be the only explanation available, even to a less inquisitive mind. Regardless, Etsu calmed down enough to speak.

"I-I do no know . . ." Etsu whispered, quiet enough for just Eld to hear her, "I-I am v-ve-ry bad at . . . at be with peopr-re a-and . . . I d-do no know . . ."

Again Etsu whined quietly, trying to pull on the blanket again and failing by Eld's hand. He just wasn't going to let her hide. It . . . it was cruel, but during the second attempt at resisting, Eld's words finally began to sink in. She should not have been hiding over compliments; they should have made her happy--just like when Eld complimented her. When he told her that she was attractive, Etsu had become immediately elated. But that was Eld; in most situations, he could be considered an isolated case. Etsu acted much differently around him than she did anyone else--she acted more like herself, rather . .

Still, Etsu's voice was too quiet for anyone beyond Eld to hear, "I . . . I r-rike it wh-when you r-rook--b-but I . . I do not know . . . how feer-r about a-and . . . and what to say when compr-ri-ment-ed and . . ."

There wasn't anything more; Etsu trailed off shortly thereafter, her eyes locked with Eld's pleadingly. She was terrible at this--socializing and the like. She wasn't directly asking for it, but truth be told, Etsu was hoping that Eld would help her. That's why she had looked pleadingly into his eyes, though she didn't consciously admit it.

Profile  •  •  
 •  

Eld looked curiously at her. She was a lot shier than even he had thought, and he couldn't help but wonder how she'd gotten by up until now without interacting with others. No one could live a completely isolated life, and given her lack of ability to take care of herself he could only assume that she generally didn't. She must at least have had someone taking care of her that she interacted with, even if she lived a fairly isolated life.

Regardless, he knew she didn't like to talk about her past, so he didn't ask. Instead, he whispered back so that only Etsu would hear, "Well, if you like the compliment you usually thank the person. If you don't like it...well, I guess I'd just ignore it."

He could only hope that helped her, but even with the advice the only real way for her to learn to socialize was to try it. It was trial and error, and while Eld was perfectly comfortable with those he knew well, he tended towards shyness himself when with those he didn't know well. It was true that Etsu didn't know the others real well yet, but...he hoped that would change.

Signature by Nate-o

Profile  •  •  
 •  

"O-okay . . ." Etsu nodded shyly.

That advice was good--in theory. Using it, however, was a whole different subject matter. Etsu, being too shy to raise her voice in public, had difficulty coming up with things to say. From experience, she was best at just answering simple questions. What's your name, how old are you, is that your real hair color--questions like those. Initiating conversation was close to impossible. Not quite impossible, but close. Etsu repositioned herself where she could be more comfortable, sitting up in bed. From there, it was just a matter of working up the courage.

"[/I]A-ariga-arigatou gozaimasu[I] . . ." Etsu finally spoke loud enough for the others to hear, still extremely nervous that she had ended up saying the wrong thing.

Though extremely curious about what Eld and Etsu had been whispering about, Sarah refrained from asking. At least not while Etsu was in the room with them. She had it in her right mind to ask Eld about it personally; not out of accusation, but out of dread curiosity. If something was wrong, she'd like to know.

Mayako was the one to reply to Etsu first, "Y-you're welcome . . ."

"Yeah . . ." Sarah scratched her cheek in thought, "Well, fortunately, the only one of us ya gotta worry 'bout is Mayako. Eld may be a perv, but he's too much of a chicken to do things on his own. I kinda wish he wasn't, but oh well!" There was a certain degree of seriousness behind that statement. "And Emma and I--well, yeah, gotta admit ya happen to be cute as hell, but we ain't into that."

"Sarah isn't," Emma shrugged; she was pretty indifferent towards sexuality . . .

". . . uh, right," Sarah coughed, "So, ya might wanna be careful. Mayako might jump ya bones tonight . . ."

Etsu just . . . stared, blinking--confused to no end. Taking Sarah seriously, she looked over to Mayako, blushing quite a bit. Mayako was blushing, too--not because what Sarah said may have had a tiny sliver of truth in it that Mayako absolutely refused to admit to, but because Sarah had said it.

"Pr-rease do not . . ." Etsu remarked towards Mayako, inevitably causing Sarah and Emma to burst into laughter simultaneously.

Profile  •  •  
 •  

Eld raised an eyebrow at each of the Vaerbond sisters in turn. To Sarah for what she said about him. Not the perv part, because he had begun to realize that no matter what he did she was going to call him that, but because of her comment on wishing he'd do things, presumably with her. Then to Emma, at her insinuation that she'd consider being with a girl. He had assumed she'd been joking earlier about being tempted, but maybe she wasn't, though he had trouble picturing Emma having a crush on anyone, guy or girl.

Though he also found Etsu's response humorous, he restrained his laughter, though he still couldn't help but grin. "I think you're safe, Etsu. Mayako wouldn't do that." Though, he was beginning to wonder if she perhaps might want to.

Signature by Nate-o

Profile  •  •  
 •  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:50 am 

"E-Eld's right!" Mayako stammered, exclaiming her defense. "I-I would never do that!"

She coughed immediately afterwards, though--again and again. It was a fit of coughing, one that didn't stop for a moment. Emma took note of her reaction; she and Sarah may have gotten her too worked up while she was sick. Granted, Mayako exclaiming a defense against Sarah's teasing wasn't uncommon. Sometimes, she could just be goaded along until finally defending herself, and there were never any hard feelings after the fact, nor any digression from casually spending time together. If anything, it resembled a mild tantrum--close to what one could call "cute."

Unfortunately, goading her along like that when she was sick wasn't productive in the slightest. Emma took note of it, as did Sarah. Mayako's coughing fit calmed after taking a long drink of water, though.

"Hm. Well, I hate to break up the party, but I still have a few patches of psilocybin and opium to tend to . . ." Emma remarked as she stood from her chair, "Have I ever said that those plants are needy? I imagine that they require as much commitment as a newborn baby, sad to say . . ."

Sarah stood up, too. "I'll go along; I need to put out some feed for the animals, anyways. I'll be back later, at least."

"Okay . ." Mayako waved weakly, "Th-thank you a-again."

"Ah, no problem," replied Emma. "I'll see you folk later."

Profile  •  •  
 •