Dystopia

Skip to content

Change font size

Nothing but Memories.

The main seaport of Xexoria. Outside the city, brief sections of farmland quickly give way to miles upon miles of desert dunes. Among the cliffs and sands lie ancient ziggurats and structures, but inside the city lies ancient knowledge...

Moderator: Ramlock

Re: Nothing but Memories.

Postby SeditiousAmbitions on Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:39 pm

Lamashtu did not respond as she defended herself against an attack he did not employ. He could not blame her for being exhausted after the healing process. He had been badly wounded. Moreso; the fighter was hoping to avoid such abuse in the future. This would make Skylar’s job easier and it would certainly benefit Lamashtu to not be half dead trying to cross most of the maps ever sketched in Utopia. His cold eyes watched her prepare and noted the rapid response and light gear. These were both good things in his eyes.

The elf did not move as she touched his face. He narrowed his eyes though. His lids relaxed once he confirmed that she was simply observing her work; a check-up.

I am ready.’ Skylar said to him. Ready for a walk, perhaps; but Lamashtu was very certain that neither one of them was fully prepared for what they particular journey held in store. He had felt an ominous feeling growing inside of him each day as he wandered on. Though he was relieved to be on to the second part of his quest; the feeling of dread had not gone away. He had the sneaking suspicion that it would only leave once he was back home. Home. It seemed lifetimes away. He was not the same man who left Pembroke. He was a killer and there is no return from that. Once a powerful and cocky fighter; the elf was now a walking machine of death that had the unfortunate character flaw of remembering every face that breathed its last while watching the meticulous gaze of Lamashtu Nekomata.

The elf realized he had spaced out a bit and took a step back out of the doorway. “Good.” He bowed his head slightly in reverence to her position as Duchess. This would not be something that she should grow accustomed to seeing. He merely did it to express that he understood her lineage. However, when on the lam there was none to tell Lamashtu his business. He motioned with his right hand for her to proceed first. This way she could lead them to the edge of town and stray on occasion to say goodbye to her friends and coworkers should she choose.

Lamashtu began to think of a few different routes through the desert. He wasn’t sure that he wanted to go back to the ziggurats. He lifted his staff and followed after Skylar. She was now in his care. He was hoping the role of protector did not switch to patient ever again. His knuckles went white around the staff and he told himself repeatedly it wouldn’t.
SeditiousAmbitions
Badminton Enthusiast

Postby Skylar on Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:41 am

“Please. I am not who I once was. I am now merely Skylar....this Duchess thing..it’s just not who I am.” She smiled and shook her head at her own words. Where she important she would have been found a long time ago. Only now, when she is needed does it seem anyone bothers. A fact that should would not soon forget.

Following his direction, she stepped out first, looking around the quaint village that had been her home for some time now. She would indeed miss it, and the people that resided here, but obviously fate had something different in mind for her now.

It was a short trek to the outside of the town. She didn’t stop once or speak to any. Those who saw them merely passed nods to the duo. She was sure they knew she was leaving, just by the looks of things, and honestly, she hadn’t grown close enough to any to go through the heartache of a goodbye.

Reaching the almost hidden dirt path that lead through a small wooded area that surrounded the town, she paused for a moment, denying the fact she wished to look back on the place one last time. However, it was always told that upon leaving a place on a quest of any kind, looking back was bad luck.

With a heavy breath, her eyes averted to Lamashtu. The right side of her mouth perked slightly, as she brushed a few stray hairs from her brow. “I guess it’s all you now, no?” She considered making small talk, but at this point wasn’t sure what to say to him. He was rugged and handsome, obviously intelligent by his own rights, and completely serious about the mission that he was so nicely tossed into.
Skylar
Almost Famous

Postby SeditiousAmbitions on Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:17 pm

Lamashtu was glad to hear her words. He had been dreading meeting Skylar off and on throughout his journey. He had this impression of her being all ‘I’m a Duchess!’ with a holier-than-thou attitude. He was very relieved to find otherwise. It did not change his opinion of her. Any being worth a damn that turned away from even the slightest of responsibilities was a fool and a clown in the eyes of the warrior. He blinked twice and moved past her once she stopped. He knew exactly where they were heading.

Back into the desert. Back into the fiery sands and blistering sun. Back into the nightmare of ziggurats that haunt the endless horizon. Yes, Lamashtu knew where they were going. He did not have any idea what to expect. He had to fight his way out last time and he damn near lost his hand.

The fighter moved along the trail which lead out of the village and onward towards the desert sands. He paused by a dead tree for a few moments. He reached back his right hand and smashed it against the trunk. A piece of bark fell free and to the ground. The inside of the tree was hollow. Inside the empty space rested an object the looked something like a piece of cellophane or a large drum skin. Lamashtu pulled the object from the inside of the tree and set it down. Once on the ground, it was apparent that the object was actually two identical pieces of... something. Large and flexible, the material seemed to be reflective and sturdy even though it was very thin. The warrior slipped inside on of the ‘cloaks’. It covered him from his shoulders to his knees. His head slipped up through a split which allowed him to look about freely and more importantly; breath freely. He held one up to Skylar and sized it quickly. He snatched it back to the ground and cut off a few inches from the bottom and then offered it to her. “You will need this. It will keep the sun and sand from damaging your body.”

Lamashtu stared into Skylar’s eyes. He was not so good with words as he was with his blades. He was hoping she would just accept the cover and they could move on. She would have to trust him without any other reason than his simple presence. It was a lot to ask of someone. Especially when that someone left their home and was in essence; a loner.
SeditiousAmbitions
Badminton Enthusiast

Postby Skylar on Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:59 pm

She followed him closely, and silently. She didn’t have much to say really. He had told her what she was needed for and she planned on fulfilling her duty and once more being on her way. She was not royalty...she did not yearn for the lifestyles they led. She looked for something much more simple then that...something she had yet to find.

As they stopped by the tree she took in a deep breath and looked around, it was only the smashing of the tree that caused her to turn her attention back to him, already covered in a protective cloak. She raised a brow slightly at his words an shook her head, taking the garment. Hiding her laughter was pointless. She knew damn good and well what the desert was capable of....there was nothing more enjoyable then being in a burning building..that was half falling down around you, in the middle of a sand storm...

“Thanks.” She wasted no time sliding into the cloak. Thus far this had been a cake walk compared to some of her earlier ventures, however, they started out much the same, so this time she refused to hold her breath so to speak. She did however catch his eyes, that seemed intent on finding something deep within her own. She simply stared back, she did not have secrets to tell or a soul that she felt she needed to bare. He would find nothing there, but only on her own accord. Her secrets were hers and hers alone to share when she deemed it needed....now was not that time....

“I’m ready when you are.” The corner of her lips curled upward slightly. She was not a cold woman, nor uncaring. She was guarded, and with good reason. And sooner or later it would become obvious to her new companion that this was not her first adventure...
Skylar
Almost Famous

Postby SeditiousAmbitions on Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:30 pm

Lamashtu nodded once having sated his curiosity. She would travel well. His primary concern was finding a way back into the underground network of tunnels. The shifting sands would have well hidden the markers he left. His mind tried to wander several times but was brought back abruptly by flashes of reality. He turned and headed out into the sand. He counted each step and upon reaching one hundred, Lamashtu would start over. It was just a way to pass time. A major concern was whether or not the beetles whose skin they both wore were present today.

In his last trip, the elf came to the painful realization that these scarabs could not only travel faster than everything else in the sand, but they can smell their own kind. Using the impenetrable skins as UV protection and a lightweight shield against the sand is a good idea but it is not risk-free. Lamashtu had thought of this of course. He learned underground that the giant bugs never travel in groups greater than four. He could kill four of them fairly easily.

Lamashtu had just started counting over when something caught his eye. They had been traveling for several hours by now [or so it seemed]. He swivelled his glance to find the distraction and it reappeared. There was a small cluster of tall weeds some hundred and fifty yards to their left. He veered his course and headed for them. This was the first of four water holes they would have to find if they intended on surviving the desert.

Lamashtu paused once he was about fifteen feet away. He was scouring the small mud pit for snakes, scorpions, or any other kind of threat. He did not see any at present but he was not completely satisfied. He walked forward and stood next to the tiny pool of water that bubbled from beneath the sands. He looked back to skylar. It was the first time he had turned to see if she was still behind him. His hair was soaked from sweat and stuck in strange patterns to his face. The beetle skin cloak was a great protector from the elements but it was not a cool garment. The thin membrane stuck to his chest and arms via the sweat his skin was shedding to cool his body down. Lamashtu stuck one end of his staff into the sand and began a series of stretches to which his body popped and cracked in response. “Fill your waterskin and get yourself a drink. We can rest for a few minutes but not for too long.” He finished his stretches and looked to the east where in the very far off; if one strains hard enough, the mountains can be seen.
You should learn to listen to me; I'm usually right.
SeditiousAmbitions
Badminton Enthusiast

Postby Skylar on Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:20 pm

Scarabs. A small beast she no longer feared...not that she now knew that there were greater beast to be seen underground. There was nothing in this desert that could surprise her, nothing that would frighten her, nothing that would deter her from the job that she had promise to perform.

She too had seen the small oasis and assumed it was where he was heading, and thus she still remained without words. As he turned to look at her, she walked past him, kneeling down beside the water to dip her hand in and rub it across her sand littered face. Even the best protection could not keep out every tiny grain of sand...

She took a couple meager drinks of water, making sure not to overfill herself. Before refilling it with less cool water, she handed the bladder out to him. “Here, have some.” With a nod she stood and moved a bit closer to him.

“I know what you must be thinking about me, but I assure you I did not abandon my life, but rather it abandoned me.” She pulled her cloak up slightly to allow some air to get to her skin, or at least closer to her skin to cool her off a bit. “I don’t regret it either. I know the things I have done have made a difference in the lives of others. Others that needed me then....and will make a difference to those that will need me in the future.”

Her voice was littered with strength. She was proud of who she was, and the journey that had brought her to where she was in her life. The only regret that she had was the way it all ended, or rather, didn’t end. None the less, she was who she was....and she knew who she was. And in that very moment, that was good enough for her.
Skylar
Almost Famous

Previous

Return to Rhakotis