Dystopia

Skip to content

Change font size

A Journey Always Begins With The First Step

Re: A Journey Always Begins With The First Step

Postby Nayt on Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:48 pm

Kidnap? That didn't make any sense. Who would want to kidnap a kid? He didn't look like he was made of money. Even if he was dressed regally he probably wouldn't look the part of a prince or a noble or anything of the sort. He looked like a scholar, maybe even a librarian. Who would want to kidnap a librarian? Kei wanted to ask. It was extremely tempting, even. Part of her didn't want to, though. That part was telling her to vacate the premises right now and leave these two to their business.

"Uhhh . . ." Kei trailed off.

She was silent for a moment as she averted her eyes from Hrothgar and Aiden. Hrothgar seemed mightily worn out. Maybe he was Aiden's friend, and this kid, who clearly mismatched reality and fantasy, was dragging him through some crazy fantasy-- and maybe Hrothgar really thought it was real.

Crazier things had happened.

". . . sure," it was a somewhat drawn out word. No doubt they'd understand her feelings regarding the matter right then and there. It was a good enough hint.

Without further adieu, Kei passed Hrothgar and Aiden, stopping only once she was on the other side of the room. The old lady seemed to be much calmer, and Kei opted to take advantage of this while Hrothgar and Aiden collected themselves. Right now, she was listening to the part of her that didn't want to find out if the two were telling the truth.

"Excuse me, ma'am," Kei began, trying to put on the kind of sweet voice you use when addressing someone on their deathbed-- and failing at it. "How many vacancies do you have?"

"Hello young lady," the old lady replied with a sweetness much more genuine than Kei's, "We have two vacancies right now."

"Great!" Kei cheered, "I'll take one."
Nayt
Olympic Badminton Champion

Postby Zach Kaiser on Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:10 pm

Aiden couldn't blame her for not believing him; if he hadn't heard them state their intentions themselves, he wouldn't believe it either. He had no real idea why someone would want to kidnap him--well, not a good idea anyway. Nothing he could be certain about.

Still, there wasn't much he could do about it other than watch his step and avoid running into them. "I'll take the other room," he told the innkeeper.

Not paying much attention to Kei (which was likely the way she preferred it), he turned to Hrothgar, but he was unsure how to say what he meant to, opening his mouth several times before shutting it, unsatisfied. He wasn't a terribly confident speaker.

So instead, he pulled a small notepad and a pencil from his pocket and quickly scribbled something down, before tearing out the page and handing it to Hrothgar.

It read:

You can share the room with me if you want, but if you leave now I doubt Braxa and company will bother you much. It's me they're after.

There wasn't any real reason, from his point of view, for Hrothgar to stay with him--though he admittedly felt slightly better not being alone, there wasn't anything he could offer Hrothgar that was worth putting himself in danger. And he wasn't sure he'd help someone like himself out of charity, were he in his shoes.

Signature by Nate-o
Zach Kaiser
Broseiden: God of the Brocean

Postby adi on Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:23 pm

It dawned on Hrothgar, in the dumb, slow manner it took anything to dawn after an exhausting day that two vacancies meant that two of them would have to share a room. Since Kei was a woman, it left her out due to many different reason. Societal norms and polite chivalry dictated that a young woman shouldn't share a room with a stranger, it was just strange. Besides those, the sheer awkwardness that seemed to collect when the scholar was left alone a member of the opposite sex seemed enough to exclude the option of sharing a room with Kei.

While Hrothgar was debating this, Aiden had already attempted to converse with him, and began writing out the note. Hrothgar took it with a bit of confusion, since the boy seemed perfectly capable of receiving the room key from the innkeeper and telling people he was looking to be kidnapped. He finished the letter with a small frown and a shrug.

"Well, I don't know where another inn is. Besides, if they found me first, and I ended up telling them where you are or something, I think I'd feel really bad," was all he could manage to say. Truthfully, he was just tired and the sooner he could get to a bed, the better. He rubbed at eye with a freckled knuckle, looking back down at the paper. "Which is pretty stupid. But I'm a pretty stupid person in general so it works out, I guess."

Hrothgar shrugged again as if to dismiss the the previous topic and ease into something less guilt-inducing. "I'm probably going to end up staying until the book fair, anyway. So, how much do I owe you for my half of the room?"
adi
Belligerent Beaver

Postby Nayt on Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:38 am

Kei looked back to Aiden quizzically. If people were hunting for him, why would he wanted to stay here? That was the biggest part of the story that boggled her mind. The sad thing was, though, Aiden didn't look like the type to lie to someone for any particular reason at all. The quiet ones never told lies. Or maybe, again, they were all reality to him, but not reality to anyone else. Oh well. She was thinking a little too much about this. The last thing she wanted to do was becoming interested, even if it was kind of an entertaining-- Stop it.

"That'll be ten gold pieces, please," the older woman replied to the both of them.

Kei practically choked. She widened her eyes, stepped back, and let out a series of coughs, as she felt as if a speck of horrified saliva tried to drown her and put her out of her misery before the inevitable finally bit her in the face.

"D-do you mean, er, for both rooms? That's what you mean, right?" Kei replied with a nervous laugh.

"No--" the old woman paused to think, "--that would be twenty gold pieces."

"Y-you can't be serious . . ." Kei groaned and sulked her shoulders and head, letting her arms dangle in front of her helplessly. This is robbery!

Most places in the world went by a general rule: 10 bronze pieces = 1 silver piece. 10 silver pieces = 1 gold piece. It was a pretty easy way to manage economics. Each of these items were hard to make convincing doubles of, and without paper money across nations, all currency was fairly universal. Unfortunately, asking more than one gold piece for each room was completely ludicrous.

"D-do, er, do you maybe, um," Kei stumbled over her words awkwardly, almost meekly, "n-need, er, a little help around here by any chance . . .?"

"Hmmm . . ." the older lady trailed off, "No, I don't think so. I appreciate the offer, though!"

"A-ah, uh, heh-- uh, y-yeah, no sweat," Kei trailed off, withdrew her bid for a room, and stepped back for Hrothgar and Aiden. It was all theirs.
Nayt

Postby Zach Kaiser on Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:54 pm

Aiden rubbed the back of his head, embarrassed. He couldn't recall the last time someone had been worried about him, causing him to wonder if anyone had ever worried about him. He supposed it wasn't really important, but he was unused to being shown much compassion. It was a nice but slightly bewildering feeling.

To someone as well traveled as Kei, and even likely Hrothgar, the room was outrageously expensive. But this was Aiden's first time out of his home city, and didn't have any real idea how much was appropriate for a room. Though it didn't really matter anyway; the alternative was going back out into the streets and risk crossing paths with Braxa, and he'd willingly pay ten gold just to avoid that.

"Here," he said, counting out ten gold pieces and handing them to the innkeeper. It was fine for tonight, but tomorrow he'd have to find cheaper lodgings in order to stay for the fair.

Taking the key, he'd start heading for the room, figuring Hrothgar could just pay for his part once they were inside.

Signature by Nate-o
Zach Kaiser

Postby adi on Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:07 am

If Hrothgar had been sipping a beverage at the moment the innkeeper announced the price of the rooms, it surely would have been spit up or choked upon in a surprised manner. Having no drink available, he seemed to compromise for an appropriately horrified look. The scholar was unsure if he should be outraged at the innkeeper's gall or applauding her subtle connivance.

Watching Aiden count out ten whole gold coins was almost painful. It looked like the boy was completely loaded, which would explain why Braxa was after him in the first place or he was completely and utterly out of touch with reality. Unfortunately, the ease in which he left the coins sitting on the counter before the innkeeper would only make it seem like he was indeed had money to burn. Five gold coins could buy a lot, and Hrothgar was already regretting his decision to split the cost. As Aiden took the key and headed to the room, Hrothgar couldn't help but sigh heavily as soon as he was out of earshot.

"Ma'am," he addressed the innkeeper as politely as his exhausted nerves would allow. The redhead's voice was quiet, monotone and tired. It was if Hrothgar's exhaustion and need for sleep was driving him to get straight down to business, pushing his social awkwardness out the door. "This woman has nothing to do with me or the boy. We met in the library and have exchanged all but one conversation with her. We really have no business with her. While I understand your seizing of an opportunity to profit on my and the boy's position, I don't see why you are charging her such an outrageous price as us."

"Unfortunate timing on her part aside, it's a losing situation for you, regardless," Hrothgar retrieved his wallet from his satchel, as he spoke, counting out three gold coins. "She obviously isn't going to be able to pay a such a steep price, so you're going to lose a chance to make the normal price of a room and possibly acquire some help around the inn."

"I'll pay three gold coins for a room for her," he stated. He placed his hand palm down on the counter, shielding the coins until the deal was confirmed. "Which, if you pardon my venom, is probably far more then you deserve."
adi
Belligerent Beaver

Postby Nayt on Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:24 am

Kei, with her arms folded over her diaphragm and a sulk of her shoulders, looked to Hrothgar in both guilt and appreciation for what he was doing. She . . . really didn't want to be out on the street tonight. It wasn't that nights were cold or anything; they were pretty moderate this time of year, but still . . .

"I'm sorry young man," the woman shook her head, "But it's ten gold pieces per room."

Even though she was denying him, she was doing it in an undoubtedly sweet manner. This woman had to be someone's grandmother, someone's sweet old grandmother, that baked absolutely amazing desserts and was always warm and cheery when she gave them out. She couldn't have been anything but. Even when Hrothgar was spitting venom, albeit in a passive and respectful way, she was passive and kind. One could probably go, knowing they were getting hosed, and just completely accept it on principle alone.

"I, uh-- I have a gold piece, I could throw in there," Kei remarked meekly, "And, um, about . . . four silver coins . . ."

"Four gold coins-- that all would pay for a cot, I would imagine!" the elderly woman replied cheerily.

Either she kept a good ruse, was a hard businesswoman, or was genuinely charging this steep of a price at all times. Well, this was the only inn for miles-- and there was supposed to be a big event coming up. In a small town like this, a book fair was a huge event, especially since it was coming from out of town. Who knows? Maybe her steep prices were all event prices, and maybe others might come along that were willing to pay that sort of money for a place to sleep-- someone who'd actually want to pay with real money, not promised work!
Nayt

Postby Zach Kaiser on Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:24 pm

Aiden paused on the way to his room, struck by the sudden forcefullness in his current companion's tone. Was Hrothgar right? Was the innkeeper just taking advantage of him because she overheard people were after him? If so, it was a pretty horrible thing to do, overcharging a teenager because there were people out to kidnap him.

Not that there was much he could do about it; he really didn't want to spend the night out in the streets.

While he waited for Hrothgar to finish up dealing with the innkeeper on Kei's behalf, he pulled a book out from his briefcase and started to read.

Signature by Nate-o
Zach Kaiser

Postby adi on Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:49 pm

The old woman's saccharine nature was intolerable. Not that Hrothgar had some strange vendetta against sweet old grandmother like characters; he was actually quite happy to know and befriend them and hear their stories. Rather it was just the guilt that hit him so relentlessly when he realized his crankiness and ensuing insults were uncalled for. The scholar stood there momentarily, a confused frown on his face as he pushed the three gold coins towards the innkeeper.

"Uhm," he began, not sure what the correct response to such unwavering kindness was. While he felt like apologizing, it would also make him lose any sort of imagined credibility he may have gained though getting right down to business as he did. Maybe the rooms were that expensive with the book fair coming soon. In that case Hrothgar felt his venom was not only uncalled for and rude, it was also very stupidly directed. He felt very much like a heel.

"Right. Well," Hrothgar said, shouldering his things. He scratched awkwardly at the nape of his neck, taking a few steps backward towards the room. "Sorry for uh. That. Thank you very much, ma'am. Goodnight, sleep well."
adi
Belligerent Beaver

Postby Nayt on Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:18 pm

"I'll have a cot sent up in a jiffy, hon," the older lady replied sweetly.

Kei was having trouble feeling disdain for the woman, too. She just seemed like such a sweet old lady-- one that charged a horribly painful price for a room for a night, but a sweet old lady nonetheless. Kei looked up to Hrothgar, though, as he started up towards the room. This really wasn't she expected to happen. Since a cot clearly cost four gold pieces, Kei reached into her pocket, withdrew the piece, and quietly, defeatedly, set it upon the desk. The older woman smiled at her warmly, and Kei couldn't help but feel like she'd gotten herself into trouble.

She followed Hroth up the stairs, but somewhat at a distance. Once upstairs, though, where Aiden had purchased a room-- the second room on the left from where they came in from the stairs --she'd take a quick step forward and grab Hrothgar by the arm to get his attention.

"H-hey-- I-- uh, I really appreciate it, but," Kei slowly went silent, at which time she'd release Hrothgar by the arm and avert her eyes, "You didn't have to do that . . ."

One problem she had, though, was a dislike for owing money. As of now, she owed Hrothgar three gold coins-- or three gold coins worth of something or the rather. Work, or something. What kind of work would he even want of someone, though? Hopefully it didn't call for playing pretend with Aiden for a little bit, but--

. . . egh, I guess I could . . . A debt was a debt, after all.
Nayt

Postby Zach Kaiser on Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:14 pm

Even though he was paying some attention to the conversation, it wasn't Hrothgar and Kei started coming up the stairs and he unlocked the door and pushed it open that he realized there was a small problem.

"She's a girl," he pointed out.

For a few moments intended to leave it at that, but given some of the funny looks he'd been getting he decided to add to that. "Is it really okay for her to stay in the same room as us?"

He'd lived his entire teenage life at a boarding school, one that kept strict separation between male and female living areas, and he'd never so much as seen the inside of the girl's living area. The idea of a girl staying in the same room was a slightly foreign one...and one of the few ways his behavior betrayed his age.

Signature by Nate-o
Zach Kaiser

Postby adi on Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:05 am

Hrothgar hadn't expected Kei to say anything to him until they had arrived at the room proper, if anything at all. So the grabbing of his arm startled him a bit, though nothing much more then snapping his head to be sure that it was Kei and not Braxa or his companions. After hearing the woman's thanks, he could only offer up a shrug and a half-smile.

"Well, that's just how I was raised," he said simply. "Don't worry about it, okay?"

Hrothgar paused at Aiden's astute observation of their company's gender. It hadn't quite gotten though his head until Aiden's question that buying just a cot indicated that they would all be sleeping in the same room. Had he the money to spare, or the prices lower, the freckled man would have purchased an entirely different room for Kei. It was some mixture of juvenile ignorance of the female sex and storybook chivalry that had lead to him purchasing the cot in the first place. So assumed it would be this same combination that would get him though this situation.

"Well, okay or not, it's how it's been arranged," he answered, walking past Aiden through the now open door. "And if there is any mischief to be made, I'm not going to be a part of it. I came here to sleep, and that is what I'm going to be doing as soon as we put that cot up."
adi
Belligerent Beaver

Postby Nayt on Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:34 am

"I--"

Kei stopped herself before she said more, though. Okay, so Hrothgar won this battle, but not the war. He might have been raised to assist a stranger like that, but she was raised-- if one could called it raised --to pay back her debts and never carry a balance of them. She'd just have to pay him back on the fly; maybe collect a few gold coins doing odd jobs while he was in town, stop by, hand them off, and call it even. That sounded like a plan. He didn't need to know she planned to do it. He seemed like the type to insist she didn't, after all. So, she refrained from mentioning anything else about it for now, let her arms fall back down to her sides, and watched Hrothgar enter the room.

Perhaps she should've followed. She was going to be staying with these two, after all-- at least for tonight (if she could get a job tomorrow and make thirteen gold pieces worth, a highly unlikely scenario, she'd be in her own room come tomorrow), so it just made sense . . . right?

That still didn't meant it felt right. As she instead stared at Aiden outside of the room, she realized how weird it could possibly be. She was probably going to be fine; Aiden seemed too out there to be a creeper, and Hroth seemed far too genuine to, as well-- fine, but uncomfortable, specifically because of those two traits.

Nevertheless, she entered the room, and took a preferred seat in the very corner of the single room. It had two beds and a bathroom and nothing more. It was small, cramped, and neither bed seemed to actually be double beds. Two double beds would've been far too large, and would have covered the entirety of the space available to them. The bathroom was equally cramped, and seemed as if it were to be shared with the room next to them. That room, fortunately, was unoccupied. If Kei had her way, it would've been occupied by her. Perhaps the only fortunate thing about this setup was that no accidental walk ins were going to occur, at least. Debt or no debt, there were few other things that merited such a swift kick to the skull.

Fortunately, a cot was provided to them in minutes following their acquaintance with their room, carried by an older, larger man, who regarded them with a deafened, straight-faced silence. The coat was placed between the two beds, effectively closing the gap between them.

As the man shut the door behind him, leaving as swiftly as he'd come, Kei couldn't help but mutter with bitter sarcasm, "Yeah, ten gold pieces. Really worth it."
Nayt

Postby Zach Kaiser on Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:57 pm

Aiden simply stared blankly at Hrothgar as he passed. He wasn't likely to be part of any "mischief" either--though he wondered about the scholar himself. He seemed eager enough to keep Kei around. At least the room had two beds, and once the cot arrived it made three sleeping spaces, so no one would be sleeping on the floor.

Maybe this is where Hrothgar's story starts; the scholar with the name of the warrior, while on the road he encounters a maiden in distress, and unable to ignore her he rescues her from her plight.

Well, perhaps that was exaggerating, but stories did tend to start out with the protagonist meeting the girl. Except that, if Hrothgar was the hero, wouldn't he have been able to take Braxa and his crew? Perhaps it was a female protagonist, and Kei was the heroine, and she would help them both somehow.

Seems unlikely, though.

After they entered Aiden claimed a bed, reclining against the headrest in order to read, stopping only to shoot a small look at Kei, as he couldn't tell whether her comment was at the innkeeper for her prices or at him for actually paying it.

Signature by Nate-o
Zach Kaiser

Postby adi on Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:52 am

Hrothgar took the unoccupied bed, setting his satchel unceremoniously at the foot of the bed. It was strange sharing a room with people, near strangers if he were to get technical, after so long sleeping alone. He removed his wallet again, and counted out five gold coins, attempting to hide his concern at just how much lighter it could feel from just missing seven coins. He set the five coins on edge of the bed Aiden claimed, and returned to his bed without another word.

The freckled man was more then a bit self-conscious as he unlaced his shoes and slid them under the edge of the bed after removing them. He did the same with his jacket, folding it up and placing on top his belongings. Had he been alone he probably would have stripped to his undergarments, but he decided to sleep in his clothes instead. It was too strange to even think of doing so in the presence of another person, let along a woman.

Afterwards, he put his wallet back into his bag, exchanging it the beaten dream journal and a worn looking pencil. Had there been a small table next to the bed, he would have placed it there, but as it seemed ten gold could not even afford that. Instead he looked confused momentarily at the lack of table, and instead placed it on the upper corner of the bed. He ended up tucking it half under the pillow, so that it wouldn't fall off the bed if he ended up turning about.

"I was expecting tiny little candies on the pillows," he offered jokingly in response to Kei's scoff. "But I would rather be here then out there, so.. whatever. Goodnight." He crawled under the covers and rolled to face the opposite wall. He was not joking when he had said he was immediately going to try and sleep. Not long afterwards, his exhaustion would lead him quickly and quietly into a softly snoring sleep granted there were no interruptions.
adi
Belligerent Beaver

PreviousNext

Return to Ulster