It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Starting the Resurrection
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:57 pm 
Badminton Enthusiast

Sunshine, green fields, a gentle breeze, the only thing missing was rainbows and butterflies. The very climate should have been enough to make someone happy, and it seemed to for the most part. One soul sat upon a rock though, his knees pulled up toward his chest. He wasn't trying to curl into the feetle position or hide himself, he was bored and frustrated. He was tired of it, the endless green, the constant warmth, all of it, especially the happiness. No one could possibly be happy all the time, and they were dead. What was there to be happy about? He sighed and let himself down from the rock running a hand through his white hair. He inhaled deeply, the sweet smells that were associated with spring filled his nose and he scratched at his head in frustration. He looked down at himself, he was still wearing the same grey shirt and pants. He had no sense of how long he had been here even. He wasn't entirely sure he had ever not been here, he could hardly remember his name.

Kataroe, that was his name, he had to make sure to hold on to that atleast. He began walking, the grass cushioning his step though he was purposefully ignoring the soft feeling against his feet. Memories began to move through his head again. He wasn't sure if they were real or not anymore. There were people, they had taken on a dragon, and a giant snake? He nearly chuckled at how insane that seemed. Or did it? He wasn't entirely sure. There was a woman with a tail and wings, Mann that was her name. Then the mage that seemed to have a thing for him, Rezu? There were more faces too but he couldn't put names with them. He did well to remember those, even if he did have to keep telling himself that he was remembering it and not just making it up. He stopped walking and flopped down onto the warm grass. He then began to poud his fists into the ground over and over again. That was when it came flooding back again.

There was a ritual or something going on, a giant portal had opened, a portal into the Underworld. It was only a one way street but when the ritual was over things were going to be able to cross over as well as go back. Kataroe had wrestled the lunatic performing the ritual into the portal where they both died. He remembered staring down at his body on the wastelands as his soul was torn from it before it appeared here. He ground his teeth and sat up, he was tempted to scream profanities but it wasn't going to do any good so why bother? He stood up and brushed off is pants, pretending that maybe grass had stuck to them.

Profile  •  •  
 •  
 Post subject: Re: Starting the Resurrection
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:40 pm 
Badminton Enthusiast

There was a flicker of light, sparks and glimmering fragments of sun would be seen floating past Kataroe, setting his already bright world on fire. There was no noise, however, odd, accompanied by the dazzling show of brightness. In that instant, whatever restlessness could have been found in the soul there would be quelled...dulled, if not cured. Sage Warheight had always had that effect on mortals. He had other amazing gifts, and powers over sentient beings that he rarely employed, but it was the calming effect he had on him he most enjoyed employing. He had an aura about him, moreso than that of a mortal magician. No, this was grandeur, leadership, greatness. Warheight was a god of a being, but humble to a fault. Though he could appear in any form he desired, and display nearly any unimaginable force, he resembled a kindly old man, beaten by time, and scarred by strife.

This man knew more of conflict and calm, war and peace, feast and famine, than any mortal in this particular plane could have possibly. His powers had always been admirable, and yet...it was, inevitably, his sense of self-sacrifice that lead to his death. Instead of risking an all-out war with gods, he had allowed himself to be killed to capture a key enemy, which ceased battling. The act of such, in haste, had not been thought through however, and it was only after Warheight's death that he realized what a burden he had placed upon his family. This was why he was the way he was now. He had been mild and good in life, but in death, he had been selfless, and completely modest, disallowing any use of his power.

Some here thought him useless, thinking he, like so many other souls here, had been stripped of his abilities in death. Such was not the case, however, and occasionally he did feel compelled to help the denizens of this world, so long as it could not be traced back to him. And so, Warheight approached Kataroe Jet, completely aware of what would happen in the next few hours, and what the consequences would be. His voice, much like his appearance, was that of a gruff, somewhat unkempt old hermit. He wore modest off-white robes, much plainer than the brilliant attire of many people here. For he, unlike the others, could change his clothing, in addition to his appearance.

" Maddening, isn't it, son? People spend their whole lives hoping for the existence of such a place as this, and yet, there are those like the two of us. Those who have, perhaps, spent their life in such serenity that there is no change here. Or perhaps those who have seen such conflict as to not be calmed by such a pointless surrounding. Those of us who have unfinished business, and who crave to reach back into the world we left behind. "

Warheight made no attempt to discern which the boy was, as he already knew, nor did he hint to which he might be. Though, in honesty, it was a lot of each, for he had lived an eternity. The Sage walked alongside Kataroe, and stopped, staring into the never ending distance. " So, why would a restless young soul such as yourself be content to exist without end here, lacking a purpose, and with so much life unlived. Were you a dashing young scoundrel, living life to the fullest at the expense of others? Or did you allow your life to be spent in the pursuit of other happiness? "

Warheight leaned forward, staring sideways at Kataroe, smiling, but without pushing the issue further. Simple curiosity, or the ramblings of a mad old man who had spent too long in paradise, perhaps. " It is...easy...to resent ourselves for the good we might have done...if it landed us here. Isn't that odd, Young Kataroe? How we think nothing of sacrificing our lives, until we realize it means we have to spend eternal afterlife looking back? "

Profile  •  •  
 •  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:18 am 
Badminton Enthusiast

Kataroe stopped, at first he hadn't realized why, then he realized the light show that was going on must have distracted him. He made another realization as well, the he was no longer feeling the anger and frustration he had felt well ever since he got here. It had finally happened. He'd turned into one of the happy little lunatics that he frequently saw roaming about. The lights just added to it, why else would they be roaving around, bouncing happily if they weren't following some sort of light. Just when he had nearly resigned himself to go bouncing off happily with the lights he saw a man. An old hermit looking guy, he heaved a visible sigh of relief. Now there was hope that it was this man doing it, atleast that meant he hadn't finally slipped away, or did it?

The man began talking and Kataroe couldn't help but listen, something about him just took the urge to not listen away. Not only that but it was nice to have someone speak and be sombre instead of annoyingly happy, the old man seemed to make entirely to much sense as well. The thought did cross Kataroe's mind that maybe he was here to brainwash him. It was already working if that were the case. For a hermity looking old guy he sure did know how to connect with people. 'I wouldn't be happy here' he said to himself, feeling he shouldn't interrupt the man speaking. 'And obviously if I ended up here then I wasn't living at the expense of others' once again only spoken in though.

Memories rushed through Kataroe's head of how he had lived. He couldn't recall his entire live. He remembered something about being some sort of knight. He also recalled working as a freelancer, hunting monsters. He remembered falling in love with a demon named Mann, the thought brought a smile to his face, he also remembered fighting against enemies with her, an even larger smile. He always had enjoyed combat.

"Yeah it is odd. I think someone had a wonderful sense of humor when they devised this system." Kataroe said giving a sigh. "So, you're here to make me happy, zap my mind into happy oblivion so I can wander around staring at pretty lights for eternity? I guess my negativity was starting to dampen the mood." He shook his head and grinned. "I'd be more than happy to go back, that seems like a much better solution than keeping someone around who might taint the atmosphere right?" He almost chuckled.

Profile  •  •  
 •  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:06 am 
Badminton Enthusiast

Warheight turned to size up Kataroe, as he seemed to half-mumble his responses. Warheight became increasingly interested and intrigued, followed by a hidden air of disappointment, with his gleaming demeanor fading quite a bit.

" So you are unhappy with your surroundings...you find that I speak the truth in regards to your situation, and yet you resign to whatever fate this shiny old man might have in store for you? " Warheight shuffled away, only a few feet, and turned, altering his perspective. " Perhaps I was wrong about you, Kataroe Jet. If you are so miserable...why are you not fighting with every bit of yourself to find a way back? It is also not completely true what you say...about the nature of people. Do you think there are people here who have not committed atrocities...who have lived for themselves, and repented to end up here? While certain things do get you here, there are guidelines, laws, like with everything else. Anyone can come here, and very few things can complicate your access. You, however....you nobly sacrificed yourself...and the laws that bound this realm and yours would not allow you to fall into the darkness, after what you had done. Do you, Kataroe Jet, think I was a good man? Do you think I killed many men? Did I ever save any? Perhaps I was a drunk, and a crude man. Maybe I was a rapist, and a blasphemer. "

Warheight's azure eyes twinkled, and his long white main softly blew to one side, caught up in a warm breeze. He closed his eyes for a moment, and a great tree sprung to life behind him. It's boughs cast odd shadows upon him, and as swiftly as Warheight could hold his hand up, and snap...it had withered and died, turning to dust at his feet.

" This place...this paradise; this realm is not just a place crafted by the gods. It is a product of what a majority of it's inhabitants find to be pleasing. Those of us who cannot find comfort here...or cannot alter our surroundings to create comfort...do not belong. Then again, if you have been here so long...you can get around even that simple rule. " Warheight's eyes dimmed, and his expression drooped even more. " In any even, Sir Jet, I propose to give you chaos. I offer you a choice, a chance, a second swing at life, maybe? The road could be dangerous, and when you get back, you may find you yearn for this empty warmth, and expanse of dazzling Utopia. The question is, will you risk it all? For...if I send you now, you may not be able to come back here...or, rather, you may not be able to go back to your world, if you do manage to return. "

Profile  •  •  
 •  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:34 am 
Badminton Enthusiast

Kataroe was disappointed in himself for not realizing that. He was naive enough to think that the scum couldn't make it here. He simply found it hard to believe that a rapist could be happy, and that murderers would be gaily galavanting through the flowers. He was more disappointed in himself for having not tried to find a way to leave. He simply thought he was here, he should be happy with it because he wasn't leaving. That made him believe that now there was a way out, a way to escape this hell...well so to speak anyway. That was enough to give fuel to a smoldering spark of stubborn rebellion. A defiant glitter flashing in his eyes again.

"I find it hard to believe that you never killed anyone, just as hard to believe would be that you never saved anyone. If you were a drunk I don't see how enough of you mind stayed in tact to be as you are now, and you really don't seem to be the type to be a rapist. I doubt you would have had to resort to such things, and who hasn't blasphemed before?" Kataroe didn't bother keeping the thoughts to himself because it seemed that the man could hear him even if he tried. He gave his honest opinion, though he did wait until after the display with the tree.

What the man said next nearly made Kataroe leap for joy. His spirit, so to speak, soared, his fists clenched, he set his teeth on each other gritting them before relaxing his jaw and giving a little grin. "Risk it all for a chance to go back into flesh and bones, I'm more than willing, especially if it means I don't have to see this place again."

Profile  •  •  
 •  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:00 am 
Badminton Enthusiast

" Kataroe...you are indeed a good soul, or you would not be here. In return, against the laws set in place, I will make a trade with you. A favor for a favor. So long as you accept, not knowing the price, you will be granted mortality. Seeing as how you're so eager to forego your right to eternal happiness, a small request should be no great deal. "

Warheight took several small strides forward, and swung with great force into Kataroe's sternum. Instead of impacting, however, his hand went through his 'body' completely, into his chest. When his hand retracted, there were several small sinewy strands clenched in it. They linked the two together, and then became invisible once again. Warheight allowed the man no time to recover. If he insisted on being being rude and assuming, then Warheight would take at least a little sadistic pleasure in scaring the blazes out of him. From within his robes, he pulled a small pendant. It was that of a sad-looking angel in bulky armor, that seemed to droop off of him. It was a depressing effigy, resembling some fallen warrior, taken before his prime.

" This is important...you will safeguard it, at the cost of your second and final life. When you meet a great man with power over fire, and wings like that of a great black bird, you will know what it is for. Until then, do not touch it. " And with that, the old man released the forsaken thing, and it came to rest on Kataroe's chest, and from it grew a thick chain that wrapped up around the back of his neck, creating a necklace.

Warheight's eyes flashed pure white, and between the two of them, a wall of white appeared, emitting the same pulses of dazzling orbs as before. Within it's center could be seen and felt a great darkness. This was to be Kataroe's exit, and on the other side of the door, was his body. And what was unmistakably Hell, even from the tiny window it could be seen. Great dark clouds rolled in from all directions, and for the brief moment before the wall reached out to absorb Katoroe and the old man...Heaven went dark.

Profile  •  •  
 •  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:39 am 
Badminton Enthusiast

Kataroe was about to inquire as to the request when he suddenly realized that he didn't have a choice in the decision making process anymore. He wasn't sure what was about to happen whenever the man closed the gap between them but he was almost certain he was about to experience excruciating pain when the man hit him. That was the thing though, he didn't hit him. Kataroe had very nearly closed his eyes in anticipation and had flinched and curled down some upon the man's hand sinking into him. His eyes went wide upon seeing a forearm in his chest rather than having been tossed away by a punch. He was certain now some internal organ was about to be ripped it, the thought never crossed his mind that he didn't have any. He uncurled as the man's hand was pulled from his chest and he patted himself to make sure he was still there. He was about to reach out and touch one of the chords that seemed to have been pulled from him but it vanished first.

Kataroe looked at the pendant and a melancholy feeling overtook him for a moment. He had the urge to reach out and touch it, trace the armour and the wings. His attention snapped from the pendant to the man upon his speaking again though. He nodded as he was given his instructions, though he didn't quite understand the last part. He was unsure of how he was going to randomly know what it was for but he was smart enough not to mention it. He twisted his head as the chain formed around his neck, still not used to the lack of sensation, expecting to feel the weight of the chain around his neck but not.

Kataroe watched the wall of white and then his eyes were drawn to the darkness. He recognized it immediately. Hell wasn't something you forgot after having seen it. He was about to ask if he should walk into the wall or something when the clouds closed in. He took in a breath, yet another reflex, he was expecting everything to go cold, anticipating something about to happen that might take his breath away, despite the fact being dead he really didn't need to breath.

Profile  •  •  
 •