Dystopia

Skip to content

Change font size

Parley

Moderator: Nayt

Re: Parley

Postby Igraine on Mon May 28, 2012 2:17 pm

Igraine let her vision sway from Vylrath to Sebilla and the rest of the family for one crucial instant. When she did, Vylrath was on her. She tried to shove him away but she could tell by the smell of him that he was a demon again. There would be no reasoning with him, her mother had told her that much. In the back of her mind, Igraine wondered if maybe Kahlan knew what was possible – warning her only daughter to the dangers of her father.

“What are you…” With a brief moment of shock Igraine felt herself heaved off of her feet and shoved bodily to the side. She crashed down on a small table near where they were standing, falling off of it with a bone jarring thump. She let herself lay on the floor for a moment, wondering why everyone in her family wanted to shove the pregnant woman around. A hand rested on her belly and she patted it gently and groaned as she sat up, rubbing the back of her head where it had hit the wall.

Vylrath was gone.

Just…gone.

Igraine frowned and looked at Pendaran, who was scowling at nothing and muttering some vow of vengeance. She looked at the family, who was also stunned to see him gone. Caela was the first to snap out of it and hurry over to her sister and help her to her feet.

“Father is…?”

“Gone. It looked like a summoning. He just faded out. Someone has a lot of power to have summoned him. I hope they torture him. He’s made this Parley and your life impossible. I’m sorry, we had to put the demonic soul in him otherwise he would have continued trying to kill Sebilla.”

“It’s okay. He should be lucky that my mother can’t get to him. She’s not going to be happy at all.” Igraine said, glancing at where her arm was scratched by her father’s rough handling and gingerly touched the bruise no doubt blossoming at the back of her head. She watched as Caela considered this and nodded, a smile lightening her face.

“I’d rather Kahlan had a go at him. It would serve him right.”

---------------------------------

Amara watched everything that had transpired with wide eyes. She shook her head as Cambria tried to keep her out of sight. When Lydia left she frowned, then noticed her wet gown and pressed a hand to her eyes. Lydia had a flare for the dramatic, and so too did her child apparently.

“Lydia is gone to give birth.” It took her a few minutes to realize that Thorin had left too. A curse on this family! They didn’t know when to stop and look around themselves and see what they were doing to each other. She battled with herself for a few minutes, not realizing that King Pendaran had already put a stop to whatever Thorin was planning, and squeezed Cambria’s arm.

“Wait here. I will be back. I can’t let Thorin do whatever he’s thinking of doing to Lydia.” The claw marks Lydia had slashed down her neck were stinging painfully still but true to her race, Amara ignored the pain and focused on finding Thorin.

She found him as he laid the boy child on the ground. The touching gesture of putting something on a chain around his neck was lost on her. Her own parents were Bocan and they hadn’t cared enough for her to give her clothing. King Pendaran had, however, cared enough to give her a place of honor in his court. When he stepped back from the infant, Amara stepped out of her hiding spot. She bowed low to Sabd and motioned to the infant.

“I saw Thorin leaving the reception hall and followed his scent. I didn’t know that he would take the infant, but I had some idea of the mischief he might be capable of. I will bring the infant to King Pendaran so that you do not have to call anyone or leave your post, my lady.” Amara bowed low again, moving to the infant who was crying loud and indignantly. It was too cold for him and she could have strangled Thorin for not thinking his plan through. Just because the child was a Fae didn’t mean he wasn’t subjected to all things mortal children fell victim to.

“Hush now, shhh.” Amara gathered the baby boy into her arms and held him close to her warm chest. He quieted almost instantly, the smell of her being so familiar because she smelled like his mother. His amber eyes opened briefly before he nuzzled against her chest and fell fast asleep. It was best for a Bocan to handle a Bocan until he had been given to King Pendaran to do with as he pleased. The poor child’s claws hadn’t even had a chance to come in yet, how was he going to protect himself?

Amara shook her head and looked at Sabd.

“Thank you, I will take him.” She turned from Thorin, not even favoring him with a glance, and made short work of heading back to the reception hall. When she entered, King Pendaran was there shaking in anger. She faltered a moment, her eyes immediately finding Cambria with a look of ‘what the hell just happened?!’ As if in protest, the newborn in her arms made soft disgruntled sounds, unhappy with loudness of the hall.

It would be those sounds, no doubt, that drew Pendaran’s attention to her.
Igraine
Recovering Caffiene Addict

Postby Sage on Mon May 28, 2012 10:01 pm

Cambria reluctantly released her, dragging his fingers across her skin as she pulled away. He did as he was told, and stayed in the main hall, though his thoughts as well as tiny tendrils of air would follow her. He ignored all that happened in the room, nervous about her safety, and her wound, until she reentered the room with a small child in her arms. He was immediately at her side, making sure to maintain contact with her, even if it was just their shoulders touching slightly.

He felt a dull hush grow in the patrons around him as the baby began to make noise. His eyes burned, and though they no longer bled, they ached and seared with pain, and the feeling was spreading across his face. Clearly his Master was angry at his deceit in hiding the way to this place, and also a tinge of desire hung in the back of his mind, evidence that he was interested in many of the creatures he saw here now.

He allowed himself to quickly study the child, and Amara's face, which seemed to be locked in on a prominent figure toward the center of the room, as if she anticipated something. He briefly extended his invisible arms of air toward the being which dissipated immediately before reaching him, and returning a chill in the air, a sensation he was not unfamiliar with.

" I feel more exposed now than I did when I woke up this morning, " he whispered.
Sage
Almost Famous

Postby Paroxysm on Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:04 am

For the sake of courtesy, Sadb had stepped out of her illusion, becoming more than a voice; she smiled at Thorin's affectionate, though ultimately pointless gesture. Such a thing for him to do, to court death and vengeance, and all for a child he had marked for death. The Unseelie guests of recent have been too contaminated by mortal whims and desires, Sadb felt, and their demon heritage? That only compounded things.

Something cold and wet slithered in the air around Sadb when Amara overstepped her bounds; it was neither attack nor aggression, however: it was warning. In contrast to Pendaran's power, Sadb's was not the unmoving cold of winter, but that of night, of darkness absolute; she was the Mother of Spiders, of all the things that skittered and crawled. She was, in every way that mattered, a Queen, and she had little love for Pendaran’s minions.

"I will allow this, goblin," Sadb purred, "but leave my land at once or not at all.”

Sadb’s parlor was not a ‘post’ or ‘station’, and nor had she been charged with protecting it. It was a duty, but it was not one bestowed upon her; she had chosen it, herself. To suggest otherwise risked insulting the elder fairy.

Dismissing Amara with a turn of her head, Sadb peered coldly at Thorin, “Leave,” she bid the Vuri-thing, “but know you are unwelcome here forevermore.”

Sadb slowly faded away and with her, so, too, did the force that kept Thorin anchored firmly to the Unseelie. He was free to return to Ulster, but never again would he find refuge in the Unseelie, invited or no.

_______
Pendaran
_______

The Unseelie king flashed an angry glare to Caela and Igraine, his two remaining ‘guests.’ Kill Sebilla? No reasoning with him? Kahlan’s vengeance serving him right? No, no, and no. These prattling, bleeding-mouthed . . .

“Enablers,” he laughed, cruel and sharp as a screech, “You’re all insane. Not just your father . . . Lover, whatever he is to his children. Gods, but what is wrong with you?”

Pendaran’s knife-tipped ears twitched, and he smiled; he directed a lighter, less rage-filled glance over Cambria and then Amara. He would have to decide what to do with Caela and Sebilla later, but, right now, he had . . . another guest, and then there was the child, too.

“My,” Pendaran smiled, “how nice to see another guest, I . . . Oh, yes, yes, I like him already,” Pendaran paused briefly and looked over Amara more carefully, “and Sadb’s intervention was successful? Wonderful. Perhaps I’ll give her one of the Rivenfelde women, yes,” Pendaran nodded to himself, “she would like the company, I think.”

Pendaran’s threat was mostly just that, though, in complete honesty, he should thoroughly enforce the idea that being rude and inhospitable guests was a very, very bad thing to do. Purposely--knowingly--causing a demon to run rampant in his stronghold, full of so many sidhe and fae? Rude.

“Bring me the child, Amara--and who is the princeling?”

FATAL KERNEL ERROR_
Mind link to COMP disconnected_
Paroxysm
Site Admin

Postby Igraine on Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:26 pm

Amara jolted when Pendaran spoke to her, upsetting the child in her arms enough to make him give off a disgruntled sound. She quickly clutched the child back to her chest to keep him calm, he cooed softly as babies were wont to do and calmed back down. Her hammering heart lurched in her chest a little, trying to ease its pace despite the crazed feeling in her head.

Amara brought the child to Pendaran and offered him up.

“Lydia named him I believe. We discussed it in passing. Samael Jace and the last name of your choosing.” Amara said as she offered the child to King Pendaran.

When the King asked about a princeling she frowned and then realized he might be talking about Cambria. Why would he refer to him as a princeling? Amara shook her head slightly, clearing the cobwebs before addressing the King once more. She never looked into his face, that was something that was reserved for other royalty only.

“His name is Cambria, my Lord. He is here to discern his heritage. He is trying to find out what he is and his purpose. Lydia found him, and upon finding the man Thorin, she sent me in her stead to gather him up and bring him to you. He feels familiar to us and we thought you might want to see him.” Amara felt uncomfortable standing in front of Pendaran. She glanced to the side to see Caela and Igraine together. She thought to herself that she understood why the man Thorin had fallen for such a woman as Igraine. She was a pretty thing, and even Amara could tell that she had a core of steel. The woman Caela looked fascinating, as if she would be a good person to get to know, but she also appeared intimidating – even if Pendaran wasn’t.

The child Sebilla was standing nearby as well, looking at ease despite standing only in her brother’s shirt. It looked to be that they were all waiting on Pendaran’s orders or his thoughts, some sort of action that would set them all in motion. That only made Amara more uncomfortable standing as she was before him. She felt like she was holding things up.
Igraine

Postby Paroxysm on Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:07 pm

The Unseelie king took the child with surprising care while examining it carefully, almost appraisingly. If there was one thing he could say, it was that his bocan had a knack for delivering gifts at opportune times.

"Samael Jace? Curious choice," Pendaran mused, "But I won't take the right from her, I suppose."

Whilst inspecting the child, Pendaran discovered Thorin's keepsake, the small little curio he had given the infant, but the king was not so petty as to remove it; indeed, he ranthis thumb across its surface and imbued the thing with just a touch of his will, a small measure of power that would have barely been noticeable. Pendaran would know if Thorin Xanathi came within distance of the child again. Sadb may have been kind enough to allow him to leave, but the Unseelie king still needed to settle matters personally and he had a good idea on how to accomplish just that.

"Cambria, is it?"

Pendaran removed his hand from the heirloom and looked again at Cambria, an inquisitive gleam in his eye.

"Another interesting choice in name," Pendaran said and turned away, infant still nestled in the nook of his arm, "but excuse me," he requested, "priorities, understand?"

Pendaran turned away from Amara and Cambria without fanfare, approaching Igraine and Caela at a normal, steady pace. The fae king's face was suddenly perfectly blank, detached and indifferent.

"Lady Caela Xanathi-Rivenfelde," Pendaran said, allowing a small glance and nod, "and Queen Igraine Lothair," he looked at Igraine, a longer and harder stare than the one he had given Caela, "I, and my court, have adhered to the terms of the parley," he said, "but yours, unfortunately, did not. By right," his cold eyes once again flashed to Caela, "I could keep you here against your will. You were never meant to be here, but you came anyways. I could execute you for the mess you caused with Vylrath Xanathi, as well, and I could execute you all for his attack on Sebilla, my court, and my person. Thorin's attempted kidnapping of the infant, too, could be on your heads."

“Luckily, this entire mess cost me little and I got what I wanted in the end,” he said, a small trace of emotion returning in the form of a thin smile, “and that I am more than any of you appear to think I am. The scales still need balancing, however. Vylrath and Thorin Xanathi were willing to endanger everything for their own selfishness, the Lady Caela has unknowingly entered my debt this day, and I, I am not afraid to admit, need to show that I can, at least, be trusted somewhat.”

The other fae gathered in the hall, one by one, slowly began to disappear, fading or slipping into whatever pool of darkness or light they could. Within seconds, the whole of the room was empty save those Pendaran had immediate business with.

“I forgive the Lady’s transgression,” he said, first, “and when she wishes, she can depart from my court. Unimpeded, despite my valid claim to her person and life. With her, too, Sebilla Rivenfelde may leave, to act as my voice in the mortal world. For you, Daughter of Kahlan,” Pendaran said, closing the distance between he and Igraine, “I believe we still have some things to discuss, but I’ve thought of a good show of faith,” Pendaran jostled the child just slightly, enough to get his point across.

There would be one especially strong and obvious rule if she chose to take custody of the child, of course: Thorin Xanathi was to have nothing to do with it. Above all else, this child belonged to Pendaran and his court, and the hell he would raise if Thorin attempted to involve himself paled even in comparison to the things he would do to Vylrath once he found where the toad had scampered off to.

FATAL KERNEL ERROR_
Paroxysm
Site Admin

Postby Igraine on Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:22 pm

Igraine relaxed a little when King Pendaran agreed to let Caela go. Her eyes remained on Pendaran, though, as he closed in on them both. When he jostled the infant she quickly reached out and picked him up, cuddling him close to her chest. She glared at Pendaran with all the vehemence of a mother. One did not just go around jostling newborn infants as if they were a sack of grain! When the infant began to make sounds as if he might cry she lifted him so that he would nuzzle her neck. Luckily for her, his teeth would be one of the last things to come in during adolescent development.

It was then that she realized that he’d mentioned Thorin trying to steal the infant. She frowned, glanced at Amara, looked at the infant nuzzling close against her, and then back at Amara. When the woman gave the faintest nod of her head at Igraine’s look of recognition – Igraine closed her eyes briefly and looked up at King Pendaran with her brilliant emerald green eyes. He was trying to humiliate her by making her adopt the son of her lover by another woman. Indeed, the very woman that she had desired to kill herself. Could she do so now that she knew that this child had come of such a union? A dangerous look flickered over her features as she looked at Pendaran without seeing him.

Yes. She could, and she would. The boy would know her as his mother, but she wouldn’t dissuade him from asking about his birth mother.

“Challenge accepted, your Grace.” Igraine dipped her knees in a light curtsey before finding a chair to sit in. She unwrapped the infant in her lap, noticing the significance of the bauble around the child’s neck immediately. She pulled the ring from around the child’s neck and smiled, running her fingertip along the green steel ring embellished with vines. It was fine work, really, and it had its partner on a chain around Igraine’s neck. Her ring was embellished with similar vines but it was finer, daintier for a woman, with a beautifully cut emerald set in the center to match her eyes.

A soft sigh escaped her as she put the chain around her neck and tucked the ring next to its mate beneath her bodice. It was a sign for her that she was loved, but that their time was over. It was a sad truth but Igraine could respect that. The both of them were better siblings than they were lovers, and marriage would never have been a good thing between them.

--------------------------

Caela wanted to protest but she saw Igraine take the infant and walk away with him. She swallowed her words and nodded her head, dipping into a bow.

“You are too kind, Majesty.” Caela straightened and rested her hands on her abdomen briefly before moving to where Igraine was with the baby boy. She smiled at the boy and touched his cheek softly as he cooed at Igraine. She settled next to her half-sister and helped swaddle the baby in Thorin’s cloak carefully. When he was warmed again Caela looked at Igraine and rested a hand on hers.

“I can’t leave you here. It’s not right.” When Igraine squeezed her hand, Caela knew that she wouldn’t win the battle.

“I have given myself to him as payment for my family and its inability to keep things together during times of need.” Igraine smiled despite the dire situation and hugged the infant to her chest.

“He said that I could have Morgana where I desired and see her as often as I liked, so long as I came back. I will be bound to him by magic and by law. You have to go back. You’re the leader of the Vuri, however few they have become of late. You need to go back to your sanctuary and set things right now that Vylrath is not among your number. Cleanse it or whatever you Vuri types do.” Igraine smiled, always trying to make light of a situation she was part of.

Caela nodded and glanced over to where her daughter was leaning against her son. Trydian was bound to the King almost as thoroughly as Sebilla was a part of him. Caela sighed and rested her head on one hand, watching them both.

“It’s hard to believe that those two were born under the Yuurei invasion. They look so unscathed by it, only to get caught up with this mess. Being a mother never gets any easier, sometimes the easiest part seems being pregnant. Once they’re out of your womb they’re part of the world and it’s as if everything conspires against you to take them away.” She felt Igraine squeeze her hand and she smiled.

“They both know you love them. Don’t think so desolately. I will keep an eye out for Trydian so much as I am able. You need to leave, though, as soon as you can. Before King Pendaran decides to take back his offer and keep you for his own. He is curious about the Vuri I think.”

Caela nodded and got to her feet and kissed Igraine’s forehead. She turned to King Pendaran and gestured to her daughter.

“We will be taking our leave immediately.”

------------------------

Amara backed up and bumped into Cambria. Her eyes were wide before she looked at him and shook her head.

“Go on; put your case before him. He is distracted by this strange family. Though I think he will be more amiable to your presence. Tell him what you think you are and ask him whether any such creature exists or has existed within his court. If not, you have your answer. If so, then you can see if there are others like you.”

Amara pushed her silvery white hair out of her face as she stood next to Cambria. She wasn’t able to protect him completely from King Pendaran, but she could offer up her life in the place of his – allow him to escape if things went awry.
Igraine

Postby Sage on Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:59 pm

Cambria became disgruntled as he was put aside yet again, but waited patiently as Pendaran attended to his court. He became relieved when many of the frivolous majority disappeared to their far corners of the multiverse. It was then that Amara backed into him, as he still stuck closely to her, were it necessary for her to be protected.

He nodded, as she spoke, and wrung her shoulder lightly with one hand to reassure her as he stepped ahead of her, directly toward the Fae King. " I understand you have urgent matters to attend to, but it really is urgent that I speak with you. My Master will not be kept out of this place for long if I do not return to him with news. Lydia tells me you might know what I am, that I am Fae, like the others I have seen. How do I know if my heritage lies in this world, or ones like it? "

Cambria's words came out as desperate, but anger rose in his face, still hidden behind his ebony mask and blood-tinted gaze, fiercer now than before.
Sage
Almost Famous

Postby Paroxysm on Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:45 pm

Pendaran smiled in response to Igraine. Hurting the child had been far from his mind, of course, but it was not surprising to see the woman's instinct win over reality. He had not known they were going to take custodianship of the infant as a slight, an insult, but that was fine with him, regardless. He was more interested in the little fae forming a bridge between he and the Queen of Ulster, and, as a result, the Seelie realm. Humiliating the woman was neither his intention nor his concern; she could do a fine job of that herself, as far as he could see.

Once the women began discussing things amongst themselves, Pendaran watched, silently, at least until Cambria spoke and drew the king’s attention away from the conversation.

Once upon a time, Pendaran would not have even given Cambria the time of day, especially when his mood was already sour, but the Unseelie king had nothing but time to kill these days; and really, Cambria had went rather well out of his way to come to the Unseelie, hadn’t he?

“How do we ever know a thing?” Pendaran replied. “Only you can decide what and who you are, but I can tell you where you come from,” the king turned to face Cambria and Amara once more, “though I am not of the habit of giving that information out for free.”

It was brief, but the bocan received the better part of the king’s gaze as he silently wondered why she had bothered to bring Cambria before him. The king knew many things, as one would expect, but such information was more valuable than all the gold in his treasury; it was the way of things and Amara knew this. So why did she bring Cambria? He already had a master and Pendaran did not often poach. That was bad for business.

The king turned his attention fully onto Cambria, momentarily forgetting Amara, “I saw you here through my lumen’s eyes,” Pendaran said matter-of-factly, “Did the season call out to you when I brought its might to bear? Perhaps,” the king’s eyes grew cold, distant, but remained focused on Cambria.

“Different,” he said, “Whatever power you have, you do not use it as I do, you are not as I am, but neither, too, are you of the Seelie, are you? The blood of the people runs through you, empowers you, but does not mark you amongst their number. Princeling,” he repeated the word from earlier, “an in-between of the courts, of noble lineage by way of extinction. A treasure," Pendaran's eyes suddenly lit with hunger, his eyes smoldering, "Something rare, indeed. So many were slaughtered when Summer and Winter went to war, but I suppose we couldn't kill them all. Are you Gaoithe Sidhe? A lord of frigid, howling wind and a summer's breeze? I don't know," Pendaran rolled his shoulders in a slow shrug, “That’s for you to decide, but there's power in whatever answer you arrive at. Consequence, too."

Was Cambria a Fae of the wind? A noble sidhe of a house long thought dead? One who controlled the breathe of nature and traveled the lands unfettered, between the folds of the mortal world, and who could potentially be forced into picking a side that had nothing to do with his current master? Perhaps he identified more with man, mortal and mediocre in every way. What would become of his gifts then, Pendaran wondered? What if the young ’man’ chose to deny them and his heritage? The Unseelie king really did not know. He was an eternal force, an aspect of nature, and existentialism wasn't his forte'. Pendaran had always been what he was. Cambria was unique in having a choice. The king envied him a little.

FATAL KERNEL ERROR_
Paroxysm
Site Admin

Postby Sage on Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:35 pm

Cambria considered Pendaran's thoughts and pondering. Much of what he said made sense, cryptic though he may have been, speaking words of a language completely unknown to the aerokinetic. But he knew things about Cambria, things that could be understood, quantified...valued, even.

" I am in the service of a man, who is much like yourself. " Cambria drew his mask away from his face, fresh streaks of blood surrounding his eyes. The sides of his face were drawn and scarred now, and it seemed to be spreading. He stared at the floor beneath King Pendaran's feet, humbled.

" I do not believe I am like you, however. If you and my Master are Winter, deep magic, and the end of life. Then I must be Fall. The beginning of the End, and a catalyst for decay. " Cambria spun his magic reflexively, causing himself to fade out of existence almost entirely, calm winds a balm in the tense atmosphere of the Unseelie realm. He flickered back into his corporeal form, and looked to Amara with sadness in his eyes, an emotion he had seldom experienced in the past.

" Guide me, so that I can reach my potential, and I will do anything you ask. I can go where others can't, surely someone as wise as yourself can find a use for that. "
Sage
Almost Famous

Postby Paroxysm on Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:05 am

Although the king betrayed not the slightest trace surprise, the boy, it seemed, was quicker and sharper than the Unseelie fae had predicted. Fall, yes, that was exactly what Cambria was, though, as Pendaran had said, the opposite could have been true, as well. In the in-between worlds, where power was derived from abstract concepts, truth and belief, a mortal could change their nature and being, however slightly, with just a bit of self-exploration and faith. This magic was the spring that made Pendaran what he was, sustained him, and just recently, it had been enough to change a mortal, naive little girl into something far more powerful, a hybrid--a mutt, now-- that was neither entirely human nor sidhe.

“If it was your master who trained your mind, then it was a job well done,” Pendaran complimented, nodding his head approvingly.

Cambria’s little exercise brought the beginnings of a smile to Pendaran’s face, although he had plenty of assassins in his employ, many of whom could travel easily between worlds, Cambria’s talent was a tad bit different, nearly as refined as the king’s assassins, but the boy truly could get to places that his servants could not, places such as the Seelie realm and the demesnes belonging to his rivals, Pendaran wagered.

“Guide you,” Pendaran repeated.

So many souls have come to him for guidance and knowledge, and for protection, too. Very often these requests resulted in lengthy bargaining phases; contracts are drafted or simply agreed to verbally. Pendaran, however, did not sense a particular need for that this time. Aside from Cambria’s innate skills, the boy offered little of value, and his true value, his person, belonged to another. Cambria could not give what he did not have to offer.

“You wish education? To learn how to harness the power of your heritage, your birthright to not only call and speak to the season, but to have it answer you, to return your call with its might and fury? Of the small number of things I can truly relate to,” Pendaran said, “that is one of them,” he admitted, his voice careful and cold, “and in a sense, it is my duty to see you learn and grow.”

Thinking, Pendaran folded his arms against his chest, his clothing undisturbed by that fact; he looked at Cambria carefully, thoughtfully. The boy had chosen and because of his choice, Pendaran could not simply leave him be. He was one of the people now, truly, and to allow the boy to leave uneducated, well, that would have just been said. He would be a mockery, an insult, and, eventually, he would have to be dealt with because of it.

“To help you reach your potential would be to steer you toward a path of power,” Pendaran finally said, “and before I agree to that, I have a question and a condition, the question is: Are you a weapon?”

If Cambria’s master was so like Pendaran, then it seemed a safe guess that he would use Cambria exactly as the Unseelie king would: as a weapon. Nothing about the boy said ‘house servant’ and, at the very least, Cambria was a second, a lieutenant, though, given his abilities, Pendaran was sure he was used in more subtler things than duels and battles. If Cambria was a weapon, as Pendaran suspected, then he was not to be one who could be pointed at the Unseelie or its king.

FATAL KERNEL ERROR_
Paroxysm
Site Admin

Postby Sage on Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:46 pm

Pendaran reminded the boy more and more of his Master. They both so often spoke philosophically when posed with simple questions, and they both tried valiantly to hide their lusts for power, and yet it was Cambria's specialty to identify and manipulate the greed of extremely powerful beings. He bowed his head slightly, hope welling as he was complimented and even more as Pendaran began to smirk. He had been in this situation before, few could resist Cambria, much less when he gave his services freely and willingly.

It was true, Sieg had taught him, refined him in certain ways, but also he stifled him. Anything that Cambria had the potential to do that was not deemed useful was to be put aside and locked away. He was not meant to be as his Master was, generally well-learned in the ways of might and magic. He was to do what he did best, over and over, until he was a finely-tuned instrument that could be assigned a task befitting what perfected skills he was known to possess. And moreover, know that it would be done quickly and efficiently, with no ties to Sieg himself.

Interestingly, Pendaran did not immediately consider him to be that Sieg had crafted him into. Instead he asked, not just what he thought he was, but he had been asked whether or not he was something, definitively. It was an interesting question, but with no simple answer. Cambria was a weapon, that much was obvious, but he was also more than a weapon...and sometimes less than one. He was certainly a tool; one that, throughout his life, had allowed himself to be shaped and then wielded in a number of ways. Not always to inflict pain or death, but if a tool was used as a weapon, must it then always be referred to as one?

Cambria fought through his confusion, and attempted to display a force of conviction in his answer. He had not been asked to think, he had not been asked to explain himself. He had been asked whether or not he was a thing. He only hoped that Pendaran would be able to see that in addition, he could be many other things. Standing firm, with his arms held behind his back, interlocked at the wrists, he spoke loudly and clearly. His voice was monotone, and yet there was a richness to his answer that made him feel both proud, and very deeply sad.

" I am a weapon. "
Sage
Almost Famous

Postby Paroxysm on Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:33 pm

Although empathy was never something Pendaran ever got, sometimes requiring the Unseelie king to mask his true nature with illusions and glamour, it was not hard to pick up on Cambria’s feelings, the strong, emotional tones coloring his words and presence. This boy was as weak as he was strong, Pendaran felt.

“As far as I am concerned,” the king said in an almost fatherly tone, “you are free to be whatever or whoever you want here, in my realm, but outside of my influence, that will not always be the case, will it? If you are your master’s weapon, in any way, then you could one day be directed at me, at my court, or our collective interests.”

Only a fool would readily sharpen another’s weapon, but Pendaran was going to do just that, gladly; he did, however, have a means to defuse that particular problem.

“Does your master leash you, boy? Mental or magical coercion, maybe? That is my condition, though a little more precise than what mortal magic is capable of. “

His answer to Cambria and his master’s relationship, and the potential problems it represented, was simple enough, really; it was a solution he was recently going to use against Sebilla Rivenfelde, to prevent her parasitic guest from breaching a contract Pendaran had made with her brother, Trydian.

“I would place a geis upon you,” Pendaran said. “Think of it as a rule or taboo; it would not affect you unless you attempt to break it, but should you do so, it would most assuredly cripple or strike you down, permanently.”

It was a curse, of course, but it could also be a gift; in this case, it was probably both. This Rule would allow Cambria to enter tutelage under the Unseelie king (or one of his capable servants should he not be allowed to remain away from his master), but it would also promise him death should he ever break it, for whatever reason. It was also one of the simplest things to cast, provided one had the knowledge to do it, and yet, it was also one of the hardest enchantments to counter or break.

“The choice--” Pendaran savored his words just slightly. “--of course, is yours.”

FATAL KERNEL ERROR_
Paroxysm
Site Admin

Postby Trydian on Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:58 pm

Everything made Trydian's head spin. Vylrath gained a new hatred from his begotten son. He would kill the man on sight, should their paths ever cross. He gripped Sebilla's hand, while his gaze met hers. Would Sebilla really leave with their mother? After everything? Trydian couldn't keep her tied to this realm- it would be too cruel. He had his own duties to the King and he would practically die for the man. Sebilla, on the other hand...he couldn't imagine being separated from her for very long.

Trydian felt cursed ,which he was in the grand scheme of things. He had given up his freedom for Sebilla, yet she was able to come and go as she pleased. Releasing her hand, he sheathed his blade and kissed her with an undiluted passion. Whispering in her ear, it was words that only needed to be heard by her. "I'll always love you."

They didn't really need to share words, to express their inner turmoil. He was meant to serve King Pendaran and perhaps watch over Igraine. Looking toward the bundle in Queen Igraine's arms, he wondered why his uncle would go through so much trouble to take the infant. The matter was not his own, but he would be there for Igraine if she ever needed him. They had grown up together and she was one of the few that understood him.

Trydian stood back in position, feeling a sense of release, and mixture of denial that Sebilla was leaving. It was best that she parted quickly, should he feel the urge to do something foolish. Thankfully, he had more sense than his father, or uncle.

Looking toward King Pendaran, his eyes held an intense ire. “I apologize for my family...I will also take the punishment for any wrong doing. I should have killed my father.” His concern over Sebilla had overwhelmed him at the time, but there had been opportune moments that had been missed.

Acknowledging Cambria, he only spoke when the two had paused long enough for him to interrupt. His words needed to be said, if he was going to have a restful sleep that night. Trydian knew the strength of King Pedaran and his wrath. Vylrath had only gotten lucky by escaping the inevitable. He privately vowed not to let that happen again in the future.
Trydian
C-Rank Porn Star

Postby Sage on Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:57 pm

Cambria nodded. Under normal circumstances he would never allow such a taint on his soul without the permission of his Master. But he was, indeed, free. He could do as he pleased and Sieg would not turn on him for bettering himself at the cost of his deadliness to Pendaran. Cambria had no reason to strike out at any individual, and if Sieg had reason to, there were much more potent ways of doing so than Cambria.

" I am not leashed, merely supervised. Willingly, I allow him to see as I do. It takes it's toll, but he can make no sleight against me that I do not will, per our arrangement. "

He spoke of it like a business transaction. He did not, like Yamakage, treat Sieg as a savior or a companion. He was a figure of power, whom traded favor for deed, and having favor with him was well worth it, for any mortal. Cambria was simply smart enough, or cold enough, to realize the beneficial nature of their bond.

" You may place your mark on me, in exchange for knowledge. I ask only that it dies with me. I will not pass on my debts or hindrances when it is my time. "

It was an odd condition, which Pendaran might understand, if he had agents in the mortal world. All the same, Cambria's fate was in his hands, for now. His mind wandered slightly as Trydian spoke. It was hard to lose focus on Pendaran, the force that he was, and yet...something about the boy speaking now felt very familiar, as though the essence of a memory was seeping into the air every time he emptied his lungs. The boy had something, knew something...and Cambria would have to investigate later.

While Trydian had the King's attention, Cambria leaned back and whispered quietly to Amara, trying to speak quickly so as not to appear rude. " ...who is that child? "
Sage
Almost Famous

Postby Paroxysm on Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:58 pm

The Unseelie king had expected something more thorough than shared sight--a low level, though invasive, bond, if ever there was one; its existence could hold some nasty consequences in the future, for the boy, to boot. If an ever helpful spell breaker thought Cambria ensorcelled, why, it could seriously impair his vision, couldn't it? That would be most unfortunate.

Thinking, though still loosely listening to Cambria, Pendaran appeared amused, at least until Trydian, who had very nearly become decoration, brought the king out of thought, the Fae’s attention settling on the half-demon expectantly.

“I have pardoned the Lady Caela’s involvement and forgiven Queen Igraine her shortsightedness,” Pendaran started, “and if I am to punish another for tonight, it will be those ones responsible; it will be your father and your . . . Uncle? Your brother? Whatever you designate him,” Pendaran shrugged, his upper lip twitching just slightly, though whether the aborted expression was going to be a smile or a sneer was up to individual interpretation.

“You recognize that your inaction served neither of us today,” Pendaran said, “and that is enough, for now. Any leader who punishes over something so trivial does not deserve the title,” he said, almost disgusted.

Of everyone gathered, Trydian was among the scarce few who could not be faulted for Vylrath’s actions; at most, he merely failed to utilize a powerful artifact Pendaran had recently gifted him, but that was a different failing and not one really worth punishing him over, especially at present.

The Unseelie king returned his gaze to Cambria and called upon his short-term memory as a refresher, repeating the youth’s words over in his head.

Good, the king thought, pleased with himself, and with Cambria’s decision, “That is fine,” he said, this time out loud, “I would not want to put so heavy a geis upon you, anyways.”

Smiling a toothy, wolfish grin, Pendaran began to gather his will and project it outwards, focusing solely on Cambria, and wishing the world away, its colors and shapes blending into one giant, blurry mess that could only be seen by the king and his would be protégé.

“Neither by willing hand or another’s influence, conscious or thoughtless, of purpose believed in half or whole, or not at all, will you harm Winter’s court, its king, brothers, or sisters.”

It was a silly mouthful, Pendaran knew, but, the truth was, that was just the nature of these things; it was all ritual and show, but it was effective none-the-less. Pendaran’s power had welled up, pressed intangibly against Cambria, spreading out over his body in a field of energy that did nothing more than make the hair on his arms stand on end, and then the king began to focus it, refining it with the practiced, metciolous touch of a skilled and seasoned sorcerer; it was around this stage, when the not-quite-arcane energy was at its purest, that Pendaran decreed his law, the rule Cambria would have to adhere to, and the field collapsed, leaving only a faint and quickly fading space of energy between Pendaran and Cambria.

Although Cambria may have been thinking it a needles precaution, especially after the silly phrasing, he could also simply have been underestimating the value of the tricks he would eventually be learning under Pendaran’s tutelage or those others in his court who may be willing to teach. If Cambria had the will or the inborn talent, it was also within the realm of possibility for him to carve out his own little demesne in the Seelie or Unseelie territories; it should come as no surprise that Pendaran was concerned with more than just protecting himself from immediate threats, but also from future ones, too. There was also the advantage of abusing the geis outside its intended purpose, as well. Who could fault Pendaran for acting within his nature, after all?

FATAL KERNEL ERROR_
Paroxysm
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to The Unseelie Court