Dystopia

Skip to content

Change font size

Lost and Found.

A land located on the far south peninsula of the Western Continent. It was only moderately effected by the End, with loss of land on its eastern and western shores. The oriental nation has suffered through strife and chaos for years, and because of the revolutionary government that toppled the previous Shogun, Cizok managed to last through those hellish months.

Lost and Found.

Postby Skylar on Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:51 pm

The streets were more busy here then any she had ever seen. Wide eyed she continued through the masses, drinking in as much as one possible could. She was mesmerized by the buildings, vendors, all of it. The aromas of food and drink spilled out from various shops, her stomach begged for her to stop at one, any one, but she pressed on.

Petite hands dug into her pockets as stray wisps of sun bleached hair danced ‘cross her face. Her lithe form maneuvered through the crowd with ease until she stood at the stoop of a small tavern. Cliche, maybe, but enter she did.

Inside, the stale odor of cigar smoke stung her nostrils. Her eyes closed slightly as she fought to gain some kind of medium to handle the smells of this place. Alcohol, food, smoke...it was almost overwhelming, she wasted no time in finding the tender of the bar.

A gentle smile stole her features as she waved him over. He was a large man, that smelled as if water had not touched his flesh for many weeks. As he offered a smile back, she could count his teeth on one hand. “What might it be fer ya, lass?”

His breath was rancid to say the least, and suddenly she took note on the fact that there weren’t many woman here with her, save for the waitresses, and a few shady looking woman. A small nervous laugh escaped her lips as she cleared her throat...”Hello, some food and water please..” She pulled her hand from her pocket and placed a few coins on the bar top.

The man roared with laughter as he looked down at the meager amount of tender she had to offer him. “Thataint gonna getcha much here.” She glanced around her heart raced, she could feel it in her throat...not exactly what she was expecting when she had stopped here. “Just some water please.” Her voice was tender: pure. Perhaps something these folks hadn’t seen in some time.
Skylar
Almost Famous

Re: Lost and Found.

Postby Shin on Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:12 pm

It had been dull, boring and every other word the First Mate couldn't think of to express himself that fit the occasion. He sat, as did three other men, around one of the wooden tables situated in the tavern. Each of them studying the other carefully, waiting for one to perhaps slip up and give a tell.

He didn't give a tell however, no, he was much to good of a poker player for that. As it was he had largest amount of coins in front of him and had since the beginning of the game. Had to play the game though, he always had to play the game! Life was a game, and so this was a game inside the grandest game of them all. And the FIrst Mate always won, always.

As the river was turned up, the cards already placed on the table, groans escaped the other threes mouths. (As one would expect) the foreigner to Cizok had one again, this time taking all three other competitors out with one hand! A testament to my own greatness, he told himself as he put his winnings into the his already heavy coin purse.

"I'm going to need another one of these if I keep taking your gold." He said in the Cizokian tongue. In truth the First Mate could speak many of today's tongues, and even some that were not spoke anymore, one of the many things he prided himself on.

Before he could reply to the mens grumbling he picked the sweet sound of ... a womens voice? He casually turned, his green eyes locking on to the figure across the room. A target?

He flashed a devilish smile, the kind of smile only one as handsome as himself could produce.

It took only a moment, a few steps and the sly sailor positioned himself right near between the women and the tender, his deft hand sliding a few of his recent earnings into the mans hands.

"What ever she wants. Ya?"

"So, what do you want?" He asked as he took the seat across from her, brushing one of his own bleach blond locks out of his face. His boyish smile never leaving his face, the tender waiting for the girls order.
..strive to be like water....
A list of all of my characters on Dystopia.
Shin
Almost Famous

Postby Skylar on Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:33 pm

The water was tossed in front of her, and before she could allow this coolness to ease over her parched lips, another man slid between beast and lass. She leaned back slightly at him, taking a moment to look upon the good placed into the mans hand. Normally she would appreciate such kindness, but wave it away. Today, however, she was hungry.

“Some jerky would be nice, sir, please.” She nodded to the tender as he shuffled off to his horde of dry meat. She eased up onto the stool behind her, tossing her gaze now to the man that had today, became her savior.

“Thank you sir, no good deed goes unseen.” Finally, she wrapped her hands around the large mug and brought it to her lips. “Mmm, that’s very good.” The mans smile still gleaned down at her, and instinctively, she smiled back, wide, and welcoming. Her small hand darted out toward him. “I am called Sorano, sir. I think you for your kindness. You are?” It was obvious that she didn’t come from here, her dress alone would tell she was an outsider.
Skylar
Almost Famous

Postby Shin on Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:53 pm

"Dont have much of an appetite, do you?" He commented on her choice of food. "The stew is pretty good here," Then deftly added as the tender turned his back. "as good as it can get." He winked then leaned back on his stool, taking her hand in his own, turning it over and bringing it to his lips.

"It is a pleasure Miss Sorano. My name isn't important, I simply go my First Mate, or First for short." He released her hand and propped an elbow up on the bar top placing his chin in his hand. "Now tell me, why would a defenseless women wander into a bar full of ruffians like myself? " He looked her over carefully, he took note that she carried no weapons and was obviously an outsider like himself. Perhaps this would be easier then he thought.

He could tell the other men in the tavern had all noted her, how could they not? The girl was easily younger then every man here and as was probably easy pickings based on her stature. 'Time to play hero.' He told himself as the tender brought her the jerky she requested.

"Bring some more man, empty your stores and fill the Misses pack." He ordered the bar-tender, he had given the man enough gold coins to do just that, though the First Mate had expected her to eat a little more then dried meat.
Shin
Almost Famous

Postby Skylar on Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:32 pm

“I don’t need much to get by.” She smiled at his joke toward the food of the establishment, and allowed her soft hand to be taken by his. Her face contorted in slight confusion as he offered her no name at all. Strange, really...perhaps a conversation for another time.

“It is my pleasure to meet you.” She removed her hand from his and placed it in her lap. “It is unwise to think me defenseless because you see no weapon. It’s unwise to think that about any. Being overconfident can be a deadly downfall.” Again she sipped her beverage, as the tender piled the dry meats in front of her.

After filling her pack, she removed her coat, only to replace the back over her shoulder and recovered it with her coat. Her attire was meager. She wore no jewelry, and had no visible markings on her body. She was in essence– flawless.

She hopped down from her stool and glanced around as a few other men had seemingly made their way closer to her. “I...uhmm, I think it’s time for me to leave here.” She pleaded with her eyes for him to see her safely....somewhere...all she knew was here, so was no longer confortable.
Skylar
Almost Famous

Postby Shin on Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:08 pm

It would have been a lie to say that he didn't admire the womens body, its flawless perfection. But he also didn't sit there like some slack jawed idiot nor did he stare lustfully at her. After all, she wasn't the first women he laid his eyes on, nor would she be the last he was sure.

He was standing from his chair the moment she was, masking his own stare by moving. The First Mate was by no means an ugly man, he as actually dashing in his own way. His skin had been tanned by long hours under the sun in the open sea, likewise his hair had been bleached from it's rays. He was tone and fit, with only minimal portions of his scars visible from how he had his silk white shirt open.

"So, then you are a mage then?" He assumed only because there was no way the women could be a brawler and still have a flawless body. "And besides, it's not overconfidence." He paused, letting the lady lead the way. "It's just confidence."

He gazed back over his shoulder, giving the men around him a cold stare. The girl was his, he had struck his claim and had been the quickest to act. He didn't think any would move against him, after being in the city for a few weeks his skill with the blade had been noted by others.

"So, where are you off to?" He asked as he pushed open the tavern door. A gentlemen always opened the door for a lady.
Shin
Almost Famous

Postby Skylar on Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:20 pm

She had taken time and noted his hansom looks. A debonair smile and the smoothness of a con man. She may be young, but naive she was not. “No sir, I’m no mage.” She pushed the stool back under the bar, and headed toward the door that he wasted no time to open for her.

“One should never underestimate their opponent.” Words to live by. “I’m not sure where I am headed. I just arrived here early this morning. I’ve spend the day walking around, taking in the sights.” She stopped and reached into her pack, taking out a chuck of the dried meat, and handed it to a ragged looking old man sitting outside the door of the tavern. “Bless you miss.” His voice was worn, haggard. She smiled to him and nodded....continuing to walk onward...

“I had hoped you could suggest something to me. I need to make some money fast, and find an Inn for some decent rest. My body had tired from sleeping among the elements.” In speaking with her, one would quickly realize she was wise beyond her years. Life on her own had made her a respectable woman......and then some.
Skylar
Almost Famous

Postby Shin on Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:34 pm

A challenge! Finally a women with some class, not like these young women so eager to believe his tales, or the old whore looking for another warm bed. No, this one could not be won over in a single night. It would take time, which The First Mate had a lot of.

"Forgive me, but I have seen a lot in my life time Lil Missy. And if you aren't a mage and don't possess a weapon then you are nothing but a target for the slobs that roam the area."

He ignored the peasant, as he always did. Sure he had coin to spare, but it was his and he had a hard time parting with anything of value. He walked around the man, slowing only because the girl did.

"Well, the ports and main land have changed a lot by 'The End'. So I'm not really sure. Also, I'm out a ship at the moment which means walking or horseback will have to do. But, for the moment there is a decent Inn ahead where I am staying." He left it at that, leading the girl the several blocks to where he was staying.
Shin
Almost Famous

Postby Skylar on Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:52 pm

“My name is Sorano, and that sir, is why you are overconfident.” She flashed him a smile, and laughed quietly to herself. She noticed how he treated the old man like a disease. It turned her stomach slightly, though she chose to say nothing about it in this moment.

“Sadly, the bar keep took what little money I had. So, my first order is to find a way to make some money.” Her foot falls ceased as she looked around the still bustling city. “Surely there is something I could do to make some kind of tender. Though I will admit, serving in any establishment like the one we just left does not suit me.”

She bit down on her lower lip, obviously lost in her thoughts. “What is the cost for a night in your Inn, sir?” There was something odd to her about calling him Mate, or First, or the both combined. So impersonal that she simply could not bring herself to do so...
Skylar
Almost Famous

Postby Shin on Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:09 pm

"Maybe so. But I am more then a match for you." He flashed the same grin back before Sorano stopped.

"Well, my Inn isn't cheap. Couple gold a night. But if you are short on coin I could give you a loan. Of course you gotta have collateral."

He had won his own money through less then legitimate means gambling and stealing for the most part, now that he thought about he couldn't remember that last time he had done an honest days work. Possibly not since he was a young lad, the thought made him chuckle.

"And you wouldn't last in one of those places, not unless you had a mean right hook." Subconsciously he rubbed the left side of his own face as if recalling a memory. "But you are welcome to share my room if you have no collateral, it's got clean sheets and a bath which is more then you been used to the past couple days it sounds like."
Shin
Almost Famous

Postby Skylar on Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:22 pm

She would let his comment slide. It was apparent what he thought of himself. Time would tell what kind of man he truly was. A couple of gold was a high price for her, considering he had already seen all that she possessed. The clothes on her back, her pack, and now the jerky that was in all rights, half his.

“Perhaps it would be wise for me to take you up on your offer for the night. Come morning, I will need to find my own means. Make no mistake though, I appreciate your kind heart.” Her words were half hearted really. She was unsure of the reason of his kindness. None the less, a soft warm bed, and nice hot bath were sounding right next to heavenly.

She took a step to the side, waving her hand around her. “Lead the way sir.” She offered him a smile, and took a moment to glance around them. She was quickly learning her way around, this should prove helpful when she was on her own.
Skylar
Almost Famous

Postby Shin on Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:57 pm

"Well then M'lady, you are my guest." The First Mate strode by her, taking a hold of her waving arm and hooking it in his own to sweep her up in his wake. Arm in arm he would take her down the street.

"It's for show." He explained in a whisper, "if these ruffians think you are with me then they should leave you alone. I've earned a reputation." He said proudly as they walked.

The city was nothing impressive, it was of a decent size compared to most of what had survived 'The End' but it was no where near what it had been. The docks were only half-full and the streets weren't what the First Mate had remembered them to be, though it had been about a decade since he had been here last.

"What reasons do you have to be traveling alone? It is a dangerous place out there scoundrels, thief's, vagabonds, and even a pirate or two are all viable threats. You never know when one is going to come out and snatch you by the arm." The First Mates voice was humorous, obviously he thought himself clever even if the girl didn't catch his own little joke.
Shin
Almost Famous

Postby Skylar on Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:06 pm

With her acceptance being said, he scooped her arm up in his. Even if she wished to pull away from him, is words did make some sense to her. Although he was sure it was more of a show for his own good then hers. She doubted none that this land bound sea dandy had made a reputation, and she simply just allowed him to add to it.

To her, every city was impressive in one way or another. Buildings, people...they all took her breath away. She was drinking it all in, the energy around her soothing her, before his words took her back into conversation.

“Usually one travels alone when they have no one else to travel with.” She offered him a coy smile. In her ventures, she had met only few personally. Each were so different and taught her different things. He was no exception.

“I understand most places have their dangers. I have, as of yet, not been in a situation that I could not handle. To worry about the things that could happen is a waste indeed my new friend.” She nodded to her own words and followed his steps to wherever his resting place was.
Skylar
Almost Famous

Postby Shin on Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:00 pm

The place wasn't far, a block and a half to a rather impressive inn. Impressive based on it's surroundings at least. It was three stories tall, and was as wide as three or four other buildings combined.

"Like you couldn't find someone to travel with?" He raised a brow at Sorano as he pressed open the door of the inn. The girl was cute, there was something she wasn't telling him he was sure. But everyone had their own secrets, and was entitled to keep them. For know.

"Welcome to that situation." He said mockingly. The man behind the counter of the Inn, a portly fellow that the First Mate thought had the facial features of a pig but the body of a twig. An odd combination.

"Greetings Mister Smith." He called from across the room.

"'Ello Jay." He called out, his accent and tone of voice much different then before, much higher pitch and more broken sounding like he had some sort of speech impediment.

"Your bath is ready as requested."

The First Mate gave an exaggerated wink back and flipped a gold coin through the air that he had fished from his pocket at the Inn keeper. Then gestured Sanora towards the stairs, following after her. "To the top." He whispered.
Last edited by Shin on Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shin
Almost Famous

Postby Skylar on Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:07 pm

In awe she looked from the bottom of the building to the top. Three large stories for people to simply get rest, nourishment, and a hot bath. Impressive? Excessive. His words brought her attention back to him. Sorano smiled at his flattery, which honestly, would get him nowhere.

She offered a smile and a nod to the Inn keep. He seemed a pleasant man, with some of the oddest features she had ever seen. I quickly became apparent that the man she traveled here with was used to having his way. A bath was waiting him? She held back the laugh that was caught in her throat.

To the top it was, and step by step she made her way, with him following closely behind. Finally after flights of stairs were behind them, she entered the top floor. Moving to the side, she would again await his direction.
Skylar
Almost Famous

Next

Return to Cizok.