-- Name: Christoph Zalien
-- Race: Human
-- Sex: Male
-- Height: 5'9"
-- Weight: 134 lbs.
-- Nationality: Algerothian
—Occupation: Traveling Scholar
-- Appearance:
-- Demeanor: Normally serious and stoic, Christoph values intelligence and reasoning above all else. He respects others that share those traits, and abhors impulsiveness and ignorance. Mostly. He tends to change his behavior to suit the situation, though, and make himself appear more favorable in others eyes when he wants to.

Recently, though, he's changed. Mimik has melted some of his cold demeanor--he's been acting more spontaneously, but also a bit rashly, something which troubles him greatly.

.:. History .:.

Youngest son in a family of traveling merchants, Christoph would've probably spent his life the same way. However, bandits destroyed the caravan he was with and killed his family. During the battle, a strange power awakened in him; he found he could create and control silver fire. In addition, in a burst of the silver flames, a strange weapon appeared in his hand: a pole with blades shaped like flames at either end. Although he defeated the bandits, he found that no matter how much he swung his weapon, or much he immolated them with silver fire, they would not die, merely fall unconscious. Killing one with his bare hands caused his new weapon and magic to vanish as quickly as it came.

Originally dismissing it as a one time occurrance, Christoph set about trying to restart his life. However, one month after that fateful day, the weapon reappeared in his hand and silver flames once again conjured to his will. He decided he'd research this new power of his.

It took three years of travel before finding a lead. While visiting the Imperial City in Cizok, he was falsely accused of an assassination, triggering a chain of events that led him to meeting an angel with the unlikely name Angelo. It was hinted that Christoph was being watched, and that his magic may be key to something great. The angel left, leaving only a location: there was an old temple in the northern lands devoted to the Silver Flame. Christoph traveled there, but the temple was in ruins; the only thing he found was a single page that explained how to use the magic to regenerate one's body. However, this confirmed what Angelo had hinted at: that his magic was somehow connected to life.

After another short period of traveling and investigating, he accepted the open invitation to Kalmarden for All Hallow's Eve, a party which pitted him against ghosts, vampires, and a man called Kraven. Like the rest of the guests his memory of the evening was erased when he left, and only two clues remained to what happened: he had somehow gained the affections of a strange girl named Mimik, dressed only in a tablecloth, and had developed a strange aversion to punch.

He took the mysterious Mimik under his wing, as she had no memory, little knowledge of the world and only the barest of language abilities. Even her race was a mystery, but she did seem to have enemies: a strange man, similar in appearance, attacked Christoph shortly after the party, intent on taking the girl away. While Christoph defeated and killed the man, he suffered substantial injuries while doing so and passed out. Somehow, when he woke up, the majority of his injuries were healed, presumably by Mimik, only adding to the mystery.

Heading for a nearby town, Christoph and Mimik encountered difficulties attempting to leave the island...

Sometime later, Christoph and Mimik arrived in Meridian on the other continent. Making their way to Artegan, they were approached by two mysterious men: Shin Shiiden, the Azure Enigma, and Jonathan Lank. The former was under orders to take Mimik into protective custody with the Enigmas, the later believed she held a clue to the curse slowly turning him into a demon. With Mimik supposedly in danger from the Purple Enigma, Christoph reluctantly agreed to go along with Shin, with Jonathan tagging along.

The journey was short-lived, however. They only made it as far as the port city of Meridian before things went sour: at a tavern, conversation grew tense. Christoph suddenly became defensive when Mimik asked about death, specifically that of the similar looking man who attacked them shortly after they first met. When he raised his voice, Mimik fled in tears, and just as Christoph caught up to her she was knocked out by Shin.

In a matter of seconds though, she changed hands twice: first to Usurii, who had been watching the group with her partner Isac, and then to the Pink Enigma, who had arrived to kill Shin after he denounced the Enigmas. While the two fought, Christoph and Jonathan called a truce with Usurii and Isac, and Jonathan transported the four plus Mimik to the Shadow Road.

There, the two strangers explained they were Ersatzshad whose job was to find others of their kind and take them to their city, away from the humans. Although no one in the group seemed to be getting along very well, they agreed to stick together until Mimik woke up so that she could decide her own fate.

However, it was not long before they came across another Ersatzshad, Teos, who informed them that the city was up in arms over Christoph's arrival, since he had slain Tehnos, one of their kind, some time ago. Not wanting to endanger Mimik by having himself be associated with her, Christoph alone stepped into the Limitless Shadows to avoid capture...

.:. Contacts .:.

Mimik: ????? "Recently, it's been hard to think straight when it comes to her. Separated for only a day, and I'm already desperate to find her again. Just what is she to me...?"
Shin Shiden/"Azure": Former companion. "Last time I saw him, he was battling the Pink Enigma. I wonder if he survived..."
Daniel Kerrington: Companion. "He's an idiot, but he did save my life. I can't write him off entirely."
Danyr: Companion. "He's quite a bit more reliable than Daniel...but also less trustworthy."
Presmodia: Hostage. "I know he's using us for his own ends, but his goals don't have anything to do with me, so long as I find Mimik."

.:. Battle Information .:.

Silver Flame Magic: A mysterious power, Silver Flame Magic is incapable of killing most things, and does nothing to inanimate objects. It does, however, cause the same pain a "normal" attack of the same power and type would, and is perfectly capable of knocking people out. The exceptions are angels and holy creatures, who are virtually immune to it, and demons and shadow creatures, to whom it is capable of dealing lethal damage.

Christoph is a master of his magic, capable of performing a wide variety of powerful stunts with it.

Polearms: Christoph is trained to use polearms, particularly he's good with his personal, magical weapon, the Silver Nova. He was trained a bit as a child, but most of his skill has been developed on his own since his magic awakened. He mostly fights defensively, parrying and countering enemy attacks, as he uses his magic as his primary offense.

As his weapon is of Silver Flame Magic, the same rules apply to it as does to the magic.

.:. Equipment .:.

Christoph carries a backpack with traveling supplies, as well as a few books on magic and legends to aid his research into his magic. The Silver Nova isn't carried on his person; rather, he can summon it to and from his hands at will. He does carry a small hunting knife with him, though he rarely if ever uses it in battle.

.:. Talents .:.

Polearms: The ability to effectively wield polearms in combat. Christoph is especially good with his personal weapon, the Silver Nova, which is a double-ended polearm with blades in the shape of silver flames.

Silver Flame Magic: A mysterious power that Christoph is in the process of researching. He's extraordinarily skilled with it, though as he's never met anyone with similar powers he has nothing to compare himself with.

.:. Flaws .:.

Merciful Flames: The Silver Nova and Silver Flame Magic are incapable of dealing actual wounds, except to unholy creatures such as demons and undead.
Peaceful Flames: Should Christoph kill a sentient creature (excepting demons, undead, and shadow creatures), the Silver Nova will disappear and he'll lose the ability to cast Silver Flame Magic for one month.

.:. Post History .:.

Strange Arrivals in the Imperial City: Christoph arrives in the capital of Cizok, hoping to find information on his magic, but is framed for the assassination of a guard captain. "This is more than just prejudice against foreigners...someone set us up deliberately, someone important."
The Silver Monastery: Chasing the clue given to him by Angelo, Christoph finally finds proof that his abilities are not completely unique to him. "It isn't much, but now I'm certain: somewhere there must be information on my magic."
All Hallows Eve: Frustrated at not finding any further clues about Silver Flames, Christoph accepts an open invitation to a holiday party in Kalmarden. "I'm afraid I must have had a bit to drink, as I can't remember what I did or why this practically naked, naive girl is so enamored with me."
Post-Festive Aggression: Shortly after All Hallows Eve, Christoph and Mimik are attacked by unknown assailant. "As much trouble as she is, I cannot just abandon Mimik to this man."
Enigmatic Shadow: Dealing with a girl with virtually no knowledge of the world or anything in it was not something Christoph bargained for. "Like me, she doesn't have a home to return to...perhaps I'll take care of her for a little while longer."
Leaving Kalmarden: Getting off the island of Kalmarden proves to be far more difficult than Christoph imagined. "Mimik...I can only assume she has something to do with all the trouble I've run into, but what is so important about her?"
Winter Event: Christoph returns to his home country of Algeroth for the winter holiday, with Mimik in tow. "We've been traveling together for awhile now...I seem to have gotten used to her presence."
First Arrival in Artegran: Arriving on the other continent in hopes that he'll have more luck finding info for his magic there, Christoph and Mimik are thrust into something much larger than that. "Jonathan Lank, as well as the Tenken. What do these two men want with us? What is so important about Mimik?"
Shades of Silver and Azure: Though the first leg of their journey was uneventful, Christoph and his companions soon find themselves in a free for all with everyone after a single prize: Mimik. "So many people after her, how I can be sure who to trust?"
The Shadow Road: Having escaped the battle between the Enigmas, Christoph, Jonathan, Isac and Usurii discuss what to do about Mimik. "...I will not let Mimik come to harm on my account."
The Road Less Taken: Stepping into the darkness, Christoph soon discovers the true nature of the Limitless Shadows. "A giant mass of shades? This time...I may be in over my head..."
The Best Mistakes: Having secured lodgings for the night, Christoph is surprised when his new companions return from their scouting of the City of Shadows with a hostage in tow. "This Presmodia...he might be more trouble than he's worth."

Signature by Nate-o
Zach Kaiser
Broseiden: God of the Brocean

Return to Q-Z