-- Sex: Male
-- Height: 6’2
-- Weight: 200
-- Hair: Brown
-- Eyes: Black
-- Nationality: Unknown
—Occupation: Assassin
-- Appearance:

-- Demeanor: Nicoli is a man driven by his ambitions, he believes himself to be above human desires and has forsaken alcohol, sex, and drugs from his life. He tries to live a ’pure’ life not out of an attempt to reach enlightenment like so many, but because he refuses to let others have a way to exploit him.

.:. History as told by Nicoli.:.

“The story of the boy that became D’Angelo is not for the faint of heart, I warn you of that now.” An elderly man speaks to you, his face like wrinkled sun worn leather, what little hair is left is snow white and long and thin.

“You’ve decided to stay? Good. I see you are a busy man, I shall give you the brief version.” He chuckles despite himself, taking a long drink of a brown rank liquid in the dirty cup on the table in front of him.

“To understand D’Angelo you must first understand his upbringing. Which was fairly normal up until the age of eight, mind you. His mother and father, by all accounts, were decent people. What they did for a living I cannot say for sure but that is neither here nor there. The true story starts after their death, on the boys eighth birthday!” The old man wheezed, gasping for breath before taking another long drink.

“Bandits came to the small village, Stonedurn. Once an old trading post that fell away with the pass of time. By all reports the bandits came down under the cover night killing, stealing, raping, and all other sorts of ungodly things. Nicoli was among the women and children that were taken as slaves, brought far away to be sold. Many died during the trip, many fell sick and were of no use, and others were slaughtered for sport.”

“Nicoli was sold to a notorious pirate captain by the name of Silverhook. Mind you, the time there was far from pleasant, but it is often said that those times are the ones that set the groundwork for what would late become D’Angelo. Nicoli went from slave to crew member twelve years old.” The old man stifled a cough

“Sometime around his twelfth birthday Nicoli freed himself of the ship, poising the crew before making his escape. Nicoli fled into the port city Fallsberg, there he found a save haven in the local church. It had appeared that things were turning around for the young boy who found a certain joy in the mundane tasks he was required to perform. However, once again a dark curtain was pulled over his life. To make things brief and avoid any…discomforts you may have, we shall say that a certain priest in the order began to take advantage of Nicoli. The boys tenure at the church only last two years, after which he fled again, the priest was found with a certain holy symbol protruding from his eye.” The old man let out a wheezy laugh. “Nicoli was quickly recruited by a thief’s guild in the same city, the Moonshades. Yes, that’s right, the very same Moonshades that exist today. Shall I continue?”

“He found himself back at square one, the lowest of ranks in the guild and was forced to prove his worth. Showing his prowess in combat and guile were not so difficult, yet, this was a different lot than what Nicoli was used to. People vanished without reason and often no questions were asked. As a prominent threat too many above him multiple attempts on his life were made, all of which failed and further cemented the young stars position in the guild at the early age of fifteen.”

“Nicoli decided to take his skills elsewhere and joined in with an adventuring party. He of course gave a cut to the guild, but the constant danger and high likely hood of death kept many, but not all, of his would be killers at bay. It was actually during one of these escapades into a deep dungeon that he encountered his first member of the Brotherhood, a small group of assassins. Though the party Nicoli had departed with was slain, one at his own hands, he managed to defeat the assassin and claim the short sword, Tooth. A wondrous device!” The old man explained, smiling a wide crooked gaped-tooth smile that stretched from ear to ear.

“Twice more Nicoli ran afoul of the Brotherhood, once on another adventure and again at his residence in the Moonshades guild hall. The fourth time Nicoli was approached in a more diplomatic manner, and for lack of a better word, he was recruited into the Brotherhood. That… how you say, was the beginning of the end.”

The old man looked solemnly at his now empty glass. “I can’t continue like this…what do you say, another drink for a good story? That’s my boy! Now…where was I? ah yes!”

“ The beginning of the end…”

“As you can imagine, Nicoli’s skills were well-suited for the life of an assassin. He flourished at it, taking to the art of death like he was a disciple of death itself!” The old man cough again, taking a pull of the bottle that had been set on the table.

“The peculiar thing about the Brotherhood is that the assassins never meet one another. Each has a handler, a man or women or some other creature that delivers their tasks to them. I do not know who Nicoli’s handler was, I doubt any do, but his writings indicate that he was a man that wore a silver demonic mask and was always garbed in black robes with a voice as sweet as it was vile and eyes blacker than his own.”

“ Nicoli’s tasks among the Brotherhood are a well kept secret, but many assassinations are credited to him. Kings, Queens, and Generals among them. It is all speculation though, no facts to it. You see,” The old mans bony finger waved dramatically “ that’s the way they operate.”

“One dark night Nicoli had been ordered to kill a wizard of sorts, a man meddling in the affairs of the Brotherhood that had no business doing so. That my friend is a very dangerous business. Nicoli had met his match however and he was thrust thru a dimensional gate that lead to the abyss, Hell, the Underworld. I’m sure you know a tale or two of that place, but our story continues.”

“Once there Nicoli was stripped of his possessions and kept as a mere pet for a powerful demon lord whose name I dare not mention or even whisper. What sort of tortures and dark magics were used on Nicoli I cannot imagine, what dark horrors and twisted things he must of seen I cannot say. All I know for sure is that four miserable years past in our world, but time flows differently in the Abyss, I doubt even Nicoli even knows how long he was there.” The old man paused, not to take a drink, but to offer a quick prayer of protection before continuing.

“Somehow Nicoli managed to escape by killing his jailor, several thralls, and reportedly a general of the powerful demon lord. Which is how Nicoli came upon a magnificent curved blade he now carries. Somewhere along the way he stumbled into his previous possessions and the most peculiar of beings.”

“An Angel.” The old man paused again, his yellow eyes gauging you carefully before continuing. “A holy being that had been trapped for millennia as a slave. Nicoli freed this holy being and together the two escaped from the very Abyss itself. No small feat mind you. But one I do not envy.”

“Nicoli was taken in the Angels arm and thru a power I do not claim to understand were transported to perhaps where they were needed most, where Nicoli needed to be. A city under siege by the undead, Nicoli did little in those moments, so fatigued and scarred from his experiences. Yet, he didn’t need too, the mere presence of such a holy creature destroyed the undead where they stood, striking them down with a holy might!” The old mans voice rose in excitement as he spoke, his eyes glistening with tears as if remembering a time passed.

“A beautiful sight to behold. Nicoli was placed in the center square and the Angel whose name none know vanished. Hence the birth of D’Angelo, The Bringer of Angels, The Herald of Dawn, and a handful of other names I’m sure you may have heard.”

“Nicoli was taken care of by the cities people until he was well enough to walk again, a humbling experience for a many that just came from the jaws of the Abyss. The spot-light also demanded things of Nicoli…yet, this is where my story ends.” The old man smiled brilliantly before taking another long pull of the bottle before his eyes flickered over your shoulder, a hint?

As you turn to look you’re hear a quick shuffling and when you looked back the old man was gone, the bottle of alcohol taken with him. You jump with a start as you feel a touch on your shoulder and here a sweet voice, “Sir, wake up. We are closing.”

As you pull your head off of the table your rub your weary eyes and realize that you had been dreaming, a strange dream to be sure. Yet, as you reach into your hand into your money pouch you instead pull out a simple note with a short chicken scratched message and a hardly legible signature.

'Thank you.

-Old Man.'

You realize that it wasn’t a dream, and that you had just been pick-pocketed.

/End\

.:. Contacts .:.

Moonshades - Nicoli is the Grandmaster of this seemingly small guild, though in truth Nicoli's agents are well placed in many countries and other organizations. The Moonshades deal in trading illegal substances and are prominent on the black market. The Moonshades survive by making themselves indispensable to those that seek or need their add. Nicoli has also several 'front' organizations, mainly small thieving guilds that are able to take the fall when the need arises.

Brotherhood - The Brotherhood is an elite organization of assassins, talented individuals are recruited by the Grandmasters and then sent to train and perfect their skills. On occasion children are taken to serve the Brotherhoood, though this is done rarely. The Brotherhood is small but powerful and is overseen by seven lieutenants, of which Nicoli is one of. These seven lieutenants all serve a single master, though not even they know his true identity.

.:. Battle Information .:.

Combat and Tactics: Nicoli is a tactical master, taking every advantage offered him and seeking to create more. Nicoli is also a very fast learner. Even if he observes a particular combat maneuver just once or twice, he is able to adapt it to his choice of weapons and duplicate it effectively in battle. He is also excellent at improvising; he can use his surroundings to excellent effect, when he would otherwise be at a severe disadvantage. Nicoli is also a nearly unparalleled warrior, combining his ambidexterity, thieving training, warrior's weapon skills, and superior attributes to be an incredibly dangerous swordsmen.

-- Weapon of Choice: Quick thinking and cunning tactics.

.:. Equipment .:.

-- Head: N/A
—Shoulders: All Weather Cloak
-- Torso: Leather Straps.
---- Underclothes: Varies
-- Legs: Leather
---- Underclothes: Varies
-- Right Arm: Bladed Bracers.
-- Left Arm: Bladed Bracers.
-- Primary Weapon: Long Sword
-- Secondary Weapon: Short Sword
-- Primary Support Items: Small Throwing Daggers x 10, Chain Whip 10ft., Hand Cross-bow with knock out poison (5 bolts), Three Foot Metal Collapsible Rod X 2, Flute.

Long Sword -- Kardia -- This long, ash grey, and slightly curved blade has a handle of polished obsidian carved into the likes of a black bird of fire, a black phoenix. The creatures wings are folded backwards to create a guard for the hand, the head pointed downwards holding a clear gem them fills with shifting color after absorbing magic. The legs make the swords cross guard with the hilt crafted to depict delicate feathers of flame.

Upon command the blade springs to life with a black flame that consumes what it touches, particularly magic, but other forms of energy as well. The flame is magic in nature and cannot be put out by mundane means. Any magic that is cast on the caster is instead consumed by the blade and stored into the gem at the base of its hilt. The protection from Kardia has proven effective against mind effecting abilities as well, though the sword is sentient and has not shown Nicoli all of its secrets.

Short Sword -- Tooth -- This weapon appears to be crafted from the tooth of a very large carnivorous creature. It is a vibrantly white, straight, thin, and wide short sword. Both sides of this wicked looking weapon are covered in many small jagged barbs that tear flesh. The hilt is a simple construct of bronze wrapped in brown faded leather. Once this blade tastes the blood of its victim it grants the wielder an unnaturally keen awareness of them, helping the wielder to track that person across many miles, even planes. The effect lasts until the weapon is cleansed or blood of another touches its blade. The longer the wielder has the weapon in their possession the more keen their sense become, slowly changing them over time. Currently all of D’Angelo’s senses are greatly enhanced, with the added ability to see more clearly in any lightning conditions, including no light at all.

.:. Abilities .:.

The Art of Assassination: Nicoli is well versed in how to kill, he is very familiar with human anatomy, as well as the anatomy of other creatures. He is adapt at the creation and use of poison, though he rarely employs the tactic. He is a master of using subtlety and misdirection in and out of combat and has honed his senses to perfection in order to prevent himself from falling prey to his own tricks.

Weapon Familiarity/Mastery: There isn’t a weapon Nicoli has seen that he can’t effectively use. Even if such were the case, his time spent with weapons would allow him to familiarize himself with it in moments and use it to it’s full capacity. These ‘weapons’ also include Nicoli’s body, he has been trained and has a mastery of unarmed combat in the form of nearly a dozen different martial styles.

Thievery Training: Nicoli has a mastery of many thieving skills to include lock picking, disarming traps, setting traps, disabling devices (magical and mundane), acrobatics, disguise, and more. He relies on his own skill rather than magic to get the job done, ensuring that he never loses his edge.

Blood Magic: Nicoli has an understanding of the often misunderstood Blood Magic, it requires personal sacrifice for great gain. While one might not be able to call down lightning from the sky it is no less powerful, if only because it is not understood. It can be used for such things as poisoning blades, curing others at personal sacrifice, mold and shape objects, and even be used as a weapon itself.

Bood Magic is unique in that it stems from the belief that blood itself has inherent powers. Talented practitioners can actually gleam information from a person by tasting their blood, the more they taste the more they learn. This often leads others to think all Blood Magic users are Vampires, and though many are, it is not always the case.

One of the more commonly known things about Blood Magic is that its user can perform a ritual in which they sacrifice someone and gain that persons knowledge and skill. In the event that they are unable to perform the ritual many Blood Magic users keep small vials of blood on them so that they can momentarily tap into that knowledge or skill for a short time if need be. In the event that the sacrificed individual has powers that are inherent to the blood, such as Vampires or Lycanthrope, the Blood Magic user can also gain those abilities, but also the weaknesses that come with them, sometimes to lesser or greater degrees.

For this reason Blood Magic users can often be found hunting down creatures of extraordinary power, which often leads to their death, often because of over confidence.

Tainted: This is not so much an ability as it is just part of Nicoli. Because of the events that transpired while in the Abyss Nicoli's has become 'tainted'. The only positive effects of this taint is that Nicoli has become immune to diseases and poisons and has actually slowed down if not completely stopped the physical aging process, appearing exactly as he did when he was in his early thirties. Those that can 'sense' a creature through their blood and spirit find Nicoli a walking contradiction, and while their is undoubtedly aspects of him that would be familiar to such a person their are many more pieces that would only leave them confused as too Nicoli's true origins.
..strive to be like water....
A list of all of my characters on Dystopia.
Shin
Almost Famous

Return to Q-Z