It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Leave of Absence
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:40 am 
Almost Famous

I saw the samurai again. He wore the same Oni mask as always. Stalking me around the city, I finally engaged him, asked him what he wanted from me. Father caught me, and reported to my superiors. I know he means well, his concern is evident. Nonetheless, I have decided to take their offer. I will go away for a month, maybe follow through on my promise to bring some of my men to that fishing spot, during peace time.

I keep wondering to myself; What could the samurai want with me? Why can't the others see him? Why is it that he can see me, when the dead typically do not. I get a feeling of dread, shaking me to my core whenever he is near. His silence haunts me, and when he is gone, I spend more and more of my time wondering if he will appear again. Perhaps I do need some time to myself. Hopefully he will not show himself while I am away.

Journal of Nobunaga Daisuke
Spring, 4644

He found himself more relaxed than he could have imagined possible. He watched the small detachment of soldiers in the distance, joking and building a fire near the riverbank where they had set up camp. Most of his belongings were inside with the horses and small carriage they had brought, though he kept his guan dao with him, resting his legs on it casually as he fished off a small handcrafted bridge that spanned the river.

The bamboo bent and bobbed in the gentle current, and he was only barely paying attention to it, likely not even enough to distinguish a hit on his line to a ripple in the water. He recalled, with resentment, the battle he had fought here. It was his job to fortify the tail of the river, near a large forest which covered most of the distance between the Kurohara Estate and the Imperial City.

He had managed, alongside the Kurohara Clan, to quell a counterattack before they reached the safety of the woods, where they could spread out and become nearly impossible to catch. His role had been such an insignificant one in the war, he wondered if any one of them would even recognize him. Looking back, he realized that it was his lack of experience that had allowed him such nonessential assignments. But it was his impeccable service record and success rate, that had moved him so quickly through the ranks, despite the importance of his mission in his various deployments.

An idle hand found and rubbed his eye, beneath the embroidered patch. Had he been trusted more by his superiors, would he have been given a more difficult task to fail? The thought gave him a headache, and he put his thoughts of the military behind him for the moment. Burying them alongside the image of the red Oni mask.

Profile  •  •  
 •  
 Post subject: Re: Leave of Absence
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:42 pm 
Site Admin

Kurohara Komei walked the beaten road that lead from his family’s ancestral home. He wore clothing that was well-made, though obviously intended for traveling; and on his right shoulder and on the broadest part of his back, the Kurohara mon--the clan’s crest--was visible: A pink petal atop a black background and enclosed in a white-ringed circle.

Komei stopped and rested the pole he used for fishing--which was, ultimately, just a long, willowy stick with a line of string tied to one end of it--against his body as he looked over his shoulder to make sure his brother had not wandered off. Coming so far from their home often posed the risk of meeting . . . undesirables, dirty vagrants and the like, and, Komei noted as he looked around, they were oddly out in force today.

He fumbled out a pair of small, round spectacles and observed the men for a moment before deciding that they did not appear to be too awfully threatening, thus less likely to try and kill him in some terribly gruesome way. He resettled his pole across his shoulder and moved on closer to the river’s bank, though mindful of the distance between the men and himself.

Fishing for Komei was not about the peacefulness of the activity. He did not much buy into that therapeutic relaxation non-sense; indeed, he was far more into the whole catching thing. Despite that, however, after tying off a hook shaped piece of metal and inspecting it, Komei did not bait or weigh it, and he had not secured a float either. He simply cast it out and into the water, and then he settled onto the grassy ground.

After a minute, he spoke in a soft, though not quite meek voice: “Brother? Did we lose ownership of these lands, or are these men allowed to be here?”

FATAL KERNEL ERROR_
Mind link to COMP disconnected_

Profile  •  •  
 •  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:18 pm 
Badminton Enthusiast

Kurohara Seiichi was not normally one to go sneaking off of their family estate without at least a small band of samurai retainers. Well at the very least he would not have been the one to occasionally sneak off for a bit of “entertainment” if not for his elder brother Komei. Ever since he’d been able to walk and not been a nuisance Komei had often persuaded him into things he would rather have not done. Even still he continued to tag along if only because he did not want to upset his brother by denying him. This part of his personality rang no less true as he too walked down the beaten path towards the river.

Fishing, like sneaking off, was another thing he could really have lived without but for his brother he would endure it. Again. He would have much preferred spending the leisure time he had studying up on the chakras or practicing his calligraphy. He and Komei sometimes did those things together as well, to be sure, but it seemed despite his bookish air his elder brother also had a bit of knack for the tiniest bit of adventure.

Seiichi wore clothing almost identical to his brothers only of a slightly darker color. A choice he regretted now that a bit of dust had gotten on him and was all too noticeable. A lighter color would have been much better, he thought regretfully, though just as the thought had come it had left his mind. While he could sometimes be fussy he had not been raised entirely in a city, no matter how much he would have enjoyed it. He had often wished his family was centered in Jinseiten or in the city at the base of the mountain, which fell just below the seat of the daimyo of the province.

Seiichi had noticed the others in the vicinity just as Komei did. He had eyed them as they walked and too had judged they did not look too rough. Instinctively his hand had gone to his katana, which he never forgot to bring along. It was then that he noticed Komei had forgotten his. It would quite displease their father if he found out. Still it did not surprise him.

His eyes narrowed as he observed them even after Komei had decided they were no threat and went on to bait his pole. Seiichi was in no big hurry to cast his line into the water so he took a few extra seconds to just make sure they did not seem dangerous. They could probably get away if they needed to but he would rather avoid the situation if possible. He noted their clothing, while not as fine as a nobles might have been, was still not that of bandits. Still it was odd to him that they had not asked permission to fish here as they should have. It was well known that Yuudai allowed the castes beneath him to use his land as they saw fit within reason but these were not from the villages under his father’s control. If they were they would not have been setting up camp.

“Apparently not,” Seiichi said in a rare display of sarcasm, “It looks like they intend to stay for a while too.”

Finally looking away he sat next to Komei and began to bait his own hook.

Profile  •  •  
 •  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:55 am 
Almost Famous

Dai jumped when he felt the familiar sinking feeling in his stomach. It was unlike the dread he experienced when the samurai was near, and more like an unpleasant tugging at his senses. Curious, he lifted his eye patch briefly, confident that his abnormal eye could not be seen from that distance. The two of them vibrated with a dull energy, that he felt as though he could almost see. It was like looking through the haze made by heat rising off a stone surface.

Setting the protective piece of armor back into place, he stood and idly wrapped his fishing line around his crude bamboo rod and leaned it against the railing of the bridge. He felt it was his responsibility to introduce his party alone, and so when he noticed the soldiers getting up to accompany him, he waved them back to their good time. It was true, he had not asked permission to make camp on Kurohara land, but he had hoped he was far enough away from any given settlements that there would be no problems.

Despite the urge to appear peaceful, it was not in his nature to leave his guan dao behind, and so as he paced casually toward the men he recognized as being from the Kurohara family through the embroidery on one of the men's shoulder, he balanced the weapon across his shoulders, draping his hands over it. As he neared them, he set the hilt of the weapon into the soft grass, and assumed a deep bow. It's form was sloppy, but sincere, reflecting his relaxed demeanor.

" A thousand apologies, I had intended to speak with your Elders before stopping here, but the spot looked so peaceful. If you want we should leave, I will take my men and go. "

Profile  •  •  
 •  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:58 am 
Site Admin

A quiver ran through Komei’s line and then it went taut, and then the tension was relaxed and, apparently of the fish’s own volition, the young noble’s catch leapt out of the water and onto the grass, where it flopped and flailed helplessly on the ground, until, with a small, light touch of Komei’s finger, the fish simply grew still and died.

He really liked the catching part of fishing.

Smiling, he looked around again, and then he noticed that one of the men was coming towards him . . . and he had a huge weapon.

“Oh dear,” Komei sighed. “I really should have brought my sword--Eh? Oh, oh, I see.”

He stood and returned a polite bow to Daisuke, though it was nowhere near as deep; in fact, it could have been measured at the exact acceptable minimum distance relative to their perceived status.

“Did you overhear us? You should have paid your respects to Kurohara Yuudai-dono,” he said, “but the mistake has already been made. Leaving will not correct it, will it?”

The correct way to fix this problem was simple, really: It required only that Daisuke get permission from the head of the Kurohara family. And that everyone involved forgot that they had never gotten permission to begin with. If this just so happened to also include forgetting that Komei and Seichii had been the ones to discover the merry band of recreationists, then, well, that was just a happy coincidence.

“What do you think?” Komei turned his attention to his brother, “The simplest solution does get you home faster.”

FATAL KERNEL ERROR_

Profile  •  •  
 •  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:09 pm 
Badminton Enthusiast

Seiichi had just put his line into the water when he noticed that his brother’s line had already gone taut. He could not help but grin as the fish jumped from the water. It looked as if it had done so all by its self but Seiichi expected it had not. His grin lessened slightly however as he looked beyond the fish to the man that was walking towards him. His eyes narrowed. It did not surprise him. He had expected for one of them to come. Or he had hoped it would only be one. He put his pole to the side and rose just as Komei had touched the fish and smiled.

Seiichi took in a breath after he had stood and looked toward the on comer. It had not failed to escape his notice that he had picked up a weapon of some sort before coming. While not a threatening maneuver in and of itself Seiichi deftly put his left hand over the hilt of his katana. His bright blue eyes did shift to Komei when he spoke and he nodded to him.

Even though he had not yet accessed the chakra that would have allowed him to feel out for the intentions of the man coming towards them he felt much more comfortable. The man had already shown his intentions with a deep, albeit clumsy bow. Nevertheless, just before he too bowed he stepped slightly in front of his brother. Komei may have been the elder but he was not armed and despite his skill Seiichi would not have forgiven himself if the man before them decided he had no honor and attacked them.

The bow he returned was almost exactly as shallow as Komei’s. He saw no reason to show the man great deference. Though he was obviously an elder he held bore no insignia that would have noted him as a noble or the samurai vassal of one. Even still he was in Koruhara lands so only the slightest polite deference was required. Being a stickler for such things Seiichi made quite sure his bow was the bare minimum required by decorum.

Daisuke’s words annoyed him. It was a pretty spot, but that did not mean one could merely settle down anywhere because they liked the view. He wanted to reply but in deference to his brother he waited for his words.

The young noble nodded before he spoke, “You are correct onii-sama.” Seiichi did not always address Komei so formerly, but when they were around other people it was a habit he had gotten into. Just as Komei did not refer to their father in private as Kurohara Yuudai-dono. Even if Seiichi showed familiarity around non-family me he would have done so in this situation to prove a point. Decorum should always be upheld.

Looking to Daisuke he expounded, “Your men are here already. The proper course would be to accompany us to the estate and ask for forgiveness from Kurohara Yuudai-dono and request that you might fish in his river.”

Last edited by Eric on Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Profile  •  •  
 •  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:16 pm 
Almost Famous

" Again, forgive me. You are correct, I should have made the proper introductions and requested permission sooner than setting up camp. "

Daisuke gave a simple nod as he attached his guan dao to the strappings on his back and gave another, more shallow bow to signify that he would go with them whenever they were ready. Not to mention to serve to punctuate his apology. This would be a great inconvenience to both parties, and it was entirely Daisuke's fault for giving in like a parent whose attrition was the direct result of the whining of his children.

" Then you do not mind if my men stay until I return? I would not want to show up with a small army when I am not traveling for official business. I will assure you they will not keep any of the lord's game until we have the proper permissions. "

His promise of catch-and-release was an unnecessary one, as the river was teeming with life, and held enough sustenance for every Kurohara for generations. But he felt it was an easy concession to make so that they did not have to pack up and wait outside the Clan's territory.

He felt naked leaving his swords behind at the camp, but it would not serve his purposes to show up to seek audience with Yuudai fully armed. And though he did not want them to mistakenly perceive him as flaunting his association with the Imperial Army, he felt as though he was in the wrong for not doing so automatically.

" I am Nobunaga Daisuke, forgive my rudeness in not introducing myself. I serve as a Colonel in the Emperor's army. The men all have proper identification as well, obviously I would not want you thinking I would bring common thugs to enjoy your beautiful land. " Being in the military in and of itself did not make them anything special. But he hoped it would put their mind somewhat at ease. No member of the Imperial Court would dare identify himself before making trouble, and the very act of establishing that relationship up front would assure them of his absolute cooperation.

Profile  •  •  
 •  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:10 pm 
Site Admin

“Oh, yes,” Komei agreed, “Your men should--may stay here while you are away.”

It certainly would not be acceptable for Daisuke’s men to wander about outside of the clan’s territory now, after all. It would be far easier to find them, should they need to be found, if they stayed exactly where they were. Granted, Komei doubted things would go that far. Daisuke need not even acknowledge his mistake, if he chose his words well enough.

Oh, very well, he thought in frustrated defeat. He had been expecting Daisuke to offer an exchange of names, but he was a little torn on the idea, himself. Still, the protocols for these things were very clear: When a man gives you his name, you give yours back. That was just the way the world worked.

“I am Kurohara Komei, son of Kurohara Yuudai-dono. This is my brother,” Komei gestured to his brother, though he did not name him; instead, he would allow Seichii to fill the silence with his own introduction. “I suppose it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Taisa-san.”

FATAL KERNEL ERROR_

Profile  •  •  
 •  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:52 pm 
Badminton Enthusiast

Seiichi took his hand off of his katana when Daisuke put his hand away. It was a subtle motion but he did not mind if Daisuke noticed. While there was a lull in much of the country the climate was not a good one. The daimyo clans were still jockeying for greater power in the aftermath of the revolt. There had not been many major events as far as he knew but they could only be a breath away. He knew it was quite stupid for them to be alone even if it was on their own lands. In times past it would not have been when peace had reigned. Of Yuudai’s children only Komei had lived in a time of harmony, though Seiichi was quite sure he could not remember it since he had been but a babe.

Even still what were these Imperials doing on their land? A fishing trip? There were plenty of rivers in Cizok and some much closer to Jinseiten. It made him a touch suspicious but he did not ask the question no matter how much he would have liked to. It was better not to be so obvious, he reminded himself, or so some of their tutors had said. He did not respond to the inquiry about the men, again in deference to his elder brother. To him it seemed obvious he would leave the men there. It would not do to come with a band of soldiers that were armed, no matter how lightly, with two of the lord’s sons whom ought not to be outside of the estate without their retainers in the first place.

He knew he ought to have appreciated Daisuke’s attempt to right his wrongs, but the wrongs were too blatantly obvious for him to care much for the attempt. He wondered how his father was going to handle the situation. He had not seen his father ever get too harsh with his inferiors, but then again they often appreciated their hands-on lord and rarely did anything that might displease him.

Nobunaga, he thought. . . . he could not recall if that was a name of the kuge class of nobles that resided in and around Jinseiten and were often associated with the Imperial Court. It would seem it had to be after he mentioned his rank within the Ministry of the Military, but then again he had once overheard his grandmother, father, and his father’s old friend and ally Taira Masachi-sama discussing how some things had changed under the rule of Emperor Hanzei and his half-brother and Daijo-daijin Prince Satoshi.

“Kurohara Seiichi, also son of Kurohara Yuudai-donno,” Seiichi said stiffly as Komei indicated him. He too had hoped they might avoid naming themselves as the children of the lord just in case the man decided they would be nice hostages. He did not think that was much of a possibility but with the way things were going in the country it would not have been a total surprise. No matter how suicidal it might have been.

Profile  •  •  
 •  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:35 pm 
Site Admin

While Seiichi was introducing himself, Komei had gathered up his rod, and, looking at the fish, he shrugged and then cut it from his line and tossed the thing back into the river, where it floated lifelessly down the current to feed whatever ate dead fish. Komei had stopped caring; he did spare a momentary glance at Nobunaga's men, but he dismissed them almost faster than he had the fish.

He turned his attention back to Nobunaga and his brother, “Well then,” he said, “I suppose we should be getting back then. Father’s probably up and about, and the sooner we get back the better.”

And without another word, Komei started back in the direction of where they had come--though, honestly, he wished he had been able to fish a bit longer, but, well, things had gotten a bit more complicated than he was used to and complicated things annoyed him greatly.

___

Barring attempts on Kurohara Komei and Seiichi’s life by Nobunaga Daisuke, the trip back to the Kurohara estate would be quite uneventful; they had caught the guards in-between patrols and even managed to get as far as the gate before being called to a halt. The gate opened and a rough looking man who had obviously seen better days hobbled out, though his eyes were grim and his jaw was set, he looked at Komei and Seiichi, and sighed before waving them on through. He knew enough about Komei to know he did not want to have the boy’s ire when his father retired from his duties. They had an arrangement and he would stick by it, regardless of --he sniffed the air and narrowed his eyes suspiciously--whatever it was he had gotten himself into now.

Once Komei and Seiichi headed back onto the manor grounds, the veteran guard would place himself firmly between his lords and their tag-along, and he waited a few moments before speaking:

“You look familiar,” the man intoned, a gravel-like quality to his voice. “What do you want?”

FATAL KERNEL ERROR_

Profile  •  •  
 •  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:56 am 
Almost Famous

The trip, though uneventful, was also awkward. He felt as though he were a child who had gotten caught after breaking some object belonging to a crotchety old villager. Even worse, he was being escorted by nobles who were in need of escort themselves, which made him feel responsible for their safety. And then, as they neared the Estate, he noticed that the two were intentionally ducking patrols, that they could have easily summoned when they neared them.

The Kurohara Estate was beautiful, despite their gate seeming a bit gawdy and unnecessary. Keeping a loose posture, while also being sure to keep close tabs on Seiichi and his weapon, Daisuke returned to his trance-like relaxation as they walked the fine stone walkways that would eventually bring him before their Elder, and then there was a man in his face. A man that he, perhaps, recognized from the war, but whose name refused to come to him in his haze.

" I would like to speak to Kurohara Yuudai. As soon as possible. " Daisuke gave more of a nod, than a bow. He saw no reason why his progress should be impeded at all, by guards or otherwise, when he was clearly already being accompanied by two of Yuudai's progeny.

Profile  •  •  
 •  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:14 pm 
Site Admin

The guard grunted. He did not like Daisuke's tone in the least. Who the fuck did he think he was? He was the visitor, and of unknown quantity--and he showed up with the young masters? The guard casually rested his hand atop the hilt of his sword and waited a few more moments before speaking, allowing his lord's spawn a few seconds more to go inside and get situated. He was stalling.

“Uh-huh,” He said, looking over his shoulder. He nodded once and turned his attention back to Daisuke. “That should be long enough. Let me clue you in, son: You did not arrive here with Komei-sama or Seiichi-dono. It’s complicated, but you look to be quick on the uptake. Do not claim otherwise or you‘ll only embarrass yourself, and nobody wants that.”

The guard gave a little shrug, the gesture noncommittal. “We’re not even having this conversation. You introduced yourself--” He paused just long enough for Daisuke to say his name, provided he got the point--”and I gave you admittance to the manor grounds, because I recognized your name and I know how very much my master likes to reminisce about the war. I also gave you very polite warning that you should bring a damn letter of introduction next time you decide you need to see our lord ‘as soon as possible.’ Now then,” he said, gesturing toward the gate, “One of the young’uns will show you to Kurohara-sama. He’s expecting company soon, but he should be free until then.”

And with that, Daisuke was dismissed. The guard turned and started limping his way back to his post in an uneven, lethargic gait and Daisuke would be lead by a younger, more suitable guide further into the estate.

FATAL KERNEL ERROR_

Profile  •  •  
 •