It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: An arranged meeting (Past)
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:04 pm 
Olympic Badminton Champion

In the other room, the young woman could be heard speaking, "Toushin-sama, we have guests."

"I see," the man, Toushin Hikane, replied with a slight grunt.

The door of the room opened after a few seconds, and out came a limping form. He was tall and still stood tall, despite the fact that he needed a cane to walk. His left leg did not appear to work as quickly as his right did. Despite this, he was still a well muscled and exercised man, though traces of this were hidden under his dark kimono. Toushin Hikane was Toryiama's age, and looked it in the face, but there was no genuine semblance of Toryiama there. No, he was related to Ahiru, and it showed. He had hazy blue hair, long and bushy, tied back into a pony tail, and outlandish scarlet eyes. Indeed, he was a Hikane.

The look on his face bordered somewhere between humorless and tired--but not the kind of physical tiredness one felt after a rigorous day of training. No, this was the kind of emotional and mental fatigue that didn't leave you 'til you finally got the chance to call it a lifetime, and pass on. His voice, gruff as it was, mirrored the exact constant look of his face.

"Toryiama-san--you've come," Toushin declared, first and foremost.

At this, Toryiama said little. Instead, he simply nodded his head once. Yes, he had obviously come, and Toryiama was the type of man to make a remark about that sort of thing--declaring the obvious, that is. But he held his tongue. Toushin continued to make his way towards them, stopping at the door.

"And Ahiru-san. It has been some time."

"Yes," Ahiru nodded, "It has been too long."

Toushin then addressed the third member of the Shiden family, albeit indirectly: "Is this your son?"

"Oh--yes," Ahiru nodded again, this time with a sense of nervousness returning to her, "Shin-kun?"

Profile  •  •  
 •  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:28 pm 
Almost Famous

Shin coolly summed up Toushin, the man would have been intimidating had it not been for the limp. The tired look on his face made it appear to Shin that the man was merely existing, not living. Shin had no idea what his uncle did on a daily basis but he assumed that since the accident it was not the same of a normal samurai.

Shins own azure eyes were locked onto the man as he approached. He couldn't help but size the man up as an opponent, taking his obvious strengths and weaknesses. When he was close enough to address them, starting with Shins father, Shin felt his unease fade away, his nervousness left him.

No, Shin wanted to say, my blue hair is obviously not a trait of this family. Of course he kept his mouth shut and when his mother said his name he bowed to Toushin as was fitting to a man of his uncles station. He continued to stay silent, seeing as his father had yet to speak Shin wasn't about to either.

Profile  •  •  
 •  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:49 pm 

Ahiru had, in actuality, sort of expected Shin to say something. She'd asked for him to, but when he didn't, she felt a little nervous. It showed on her face somewhat when she looked back to her brother. In some ways, Shin was just like his father! Not that it was a bad thing, as Ahiru loved them both to death, so she wasn't going to fault them for being themselves . . . but really, there was a time and a place for it, and now wasn't it!

She hid the urge to sigh, and instead looked up to Toushin with a slightly nervous hope that he'd overlook her boys.

Toushin motioned for them to enter, at last. Ahiru contained the urge to sigh in relief. It wasn't that she was worried about him hitting them or anything; Toushin clearly wasn't in the state that would allow for such a thing, but he could do other things. She just didn't want to have her brother upset with her.

Ahiru took a step forward, first, and slipped her sandals off just past the two. Toryiama followed suit.

Once inside, Ahiru addressed her brother with a question of much curiosity: "Is your daughter not here?"

After all, she hadn't seen her around, nor even heard her playing in one of the rooms or anything like that! Not like she remembered the girl, at least.

"No," replied Toushin, "She is at the stream. She will return come sun-down."

"Oh . . . I-- I see," replied Ahiru, again with a hint of nervousness in her voice.

Last edited by Nayt on Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile  •  •  
 •  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:14 pm 
Almost Famous

The last thing Shin wanted to do was disappoint his mother, but from where he was standing behind her he couldn't tell if she was nervous or not. He had merely followed suit. To him Toushin seemed like he would be a very blunt individual, to the point with no flowery words.

Shin did likewise and slipped off his sandals and followed his parents. He was already bored of this trip. The ride had been peaceful and enjoyable but Shin pictured himself as a man of action, results, of the sword!

If this trip hadn't meant so much to his mother Shin would have found a way to weasel out of it and continue to train. He was till no where near the skill of his father and that was something the young Shiden was always obsessing about.

He tore himself away from his thoughts long enough to register that Toushin's daughter was out. Probably for the best Shin told himself, he hated being introduced to new people, especially girls. They made him nervous, he didn't know why either but whenever he was forced to talked to one he always felt like he was going to puke.

Profile  •  •  
 •  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:32 pm 

There were a couple of hours left before the sun would start going down, around which time Etsu Hikane would return to the house, at least if Toushin's prediction was correct.

Toushin led them forward, to the room that he had been in before, the room that the dark haired woman now inhabited. He slid the door open, revealing the room to those following him: a pleasant room with padded floors, with cushions upon the floor in the far side of the room, a bookcase nearby, and a table containing a bonsai garden of Toushin's. The dark hair woman was tending to it.

"Sekino-san, prepare dinner for our guests," commanded Toushin.

The dark haired woman, Sekino, bowed her head slightly. "Yes, Toushin-sama." It wasn't a second after the stood, though, that she had a thought. "Will we wait for Etsu?"

This prompted Toushin to stop and think for a long moment. It was likely that he was debating with himself, whether to wait for Etsu to return for them to eat, or to allow Etsu leftovers. After a moment, he decided:

"We will wait. A feast is advisable, anyways," replied Toushin.

Sekino bowed her head to Toushin, and then to the Shiden clan as she passed them by. She returned to the main room, after which she moved to the far left room, to slide the door open and close it behind her. That was where the kitchen was to be found. Following Sekino's departure, Toushin motioned for his guests to follow him into his room, after which he sat upon the cushion in the far right corner of the room. Ahiru and Toryiama sat across from him, leaving space for Shin to do the same.

"Shin-sama," Toushin would begin, "Your father is training you in the martial arts is he not?"

Profile  •  •  
 •  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:36 am 
Almost Famous

Shin once again followed behind his parents, he had only just gotten here and he was already wondering why he came. He could have been so much more productive at home training himself and their students.

He stayed silent as they walked his eyes spoke of boredom but the rest of his face remained void of emotion. As everyone sat down Shin took the spot left open to him, sitting down he prepared to remain a silent ghost throughout the conversation.

So it came to his surprise when Toushin actually addressed him with a question, and not just any question either but one about martial arts. Showing the discipline and respect that fitted one of his station Shin nodded once towards Toushin then spoke.

"He is Toushin-sama, I have been training since before I can remember."

Profile  •  •  
 •  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:23 am 

"I see," he replied, "That is good."

Toushin greatly approved of such a concept. He would have been training adamantly, himself, were it not for his debilitating injury. One couldn't tell anymore, but his left leg simply did not work. Without a cane, the man couldn't walk.

But had Toushin a son, he would have openly trained him, despite this injury. There was no way he could spar or any sort like that--but as a former Daimyo, there was much to learn from him if one wished to learn it.

"Tell me of your training," Toushin continued.

Toryiama could have easily told him, himself, but that wasn't who Toushin was asking, and thus, Toryiama said nothing. Were Shin to look over at his father, though, he'd find that Shin's own feelings of aggravation for being here were all over the man's face. Indeed, Toryiama would have rather been training than be here--but to a greater extent, it was for Ahiru, and the man had a habit of willingly going to the ends of the world for her.

Profile  •  •  
 •  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:40 am 
Almost Famous

Shin did not answer his uncle right away, instead he bowed his head in silent contemplation. He was going to choose his words carefully, he had to, if he were to say something wrong he would make himself look like a fool. Toushin had to of already known about Shins training, or at least about the Shiden Style itself.

Shin didn't look over at his father, he thought about it for a moment but quickly dismissed it. Shin was a man and he could answer a simple question like this himself. After nearly twenty seconds passed Shin looked to his uncle, ready to give an answer.

"Sensei," Shin decided to use this term rather then father, making his description less personal and more formal. " trains me personally much of the time. Apart from the other students. It has been this way for nearly my entire life" Shin explained. "Recently I have started to take on a role of instructor, helping Sensei with his duty's. In order to fully understand the teachings I have to pass them on."

Shin wasn't sure how much more in detail his uncle wanted him to go, surely Shin could go into edict and daily training routines but he doubted someone of Toushins reputation cared to hear about such things. Instead Shin stopped, if Toushin wanted him to then he would continue, if not then that was all that would be said by Shin.

Profile  •  •  
 •  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:08 pm 

"Very good," Toushin remarked, commending both Toryiama and Shin's dedication.

Indeed, commending was the best way to put it. He knew Shin's father for many years, now. It was only natural, really. Toryiama had been married to Ahiru for twenty years, and had, in fact, met Ahiru through Toushin--meaning they'd known each other longer than Toryiama even knew of Ahiru. The man could speak about Shin's father better than any else could, perhaps.

"This country needs more men like your father," Toushin began, "He was a capable and dedicated ally during the war, and perhaps the most competent samurai I ever lead. I can only imagine that, if he has trained you well, you will become much like him. This country would benefit from that."

And were Shin to look at his father then, he'd find that the man had folded his arms over his chest and shut his eyes. His brow was furrowed, and he seemed to be restraining himself from speaking. Ahiru quietly set her hand upon his arm, prompting him to give her a glance, before loosening up slightly.

Profile  •  •  
 •  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:28 pm 
Almost Famous

Shin took the compliment in stride, it was an honor to be compared to his father really. Shin didn't know much about him, in truth Toryiama didn't ever talk about his past with Shin. The only reason Shin knew anything is because of conversations like this, or overhearing other samurai and diplomats talk about him. Living the sheltered single track life that Shin had he figured there was a lot he didn't know that was considered common knowledge in Cizok, especially about his family.

It was rather strange to have Toushin talk about his father when the man was sitting a seat away and Shin couldn't help but feel there might be something Toushin was hinting at or leading up to that was simply over Shins head.

There was nothing he could really say back to Toushin, he took the compliment and fell silent. Beside, looking at his father out the corner of his eye it looked like the man wanted to speak...perhaps there was something Shin could say after all.

"I have heard very little of the war, it isn't very common talk at home." Shin explained making sure to keep a smirk off of his face. "But I do know that what you and my father accomplished has brought much glory and fame to our families name." Shin bowed his head in respect to Toushin, the man who had after all lead the troops, his father among them.

Profile  •  •  
 •  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:47 pm 

"Really?" Toushin asked, before addressing his attention to Toryiama, "You've told him nothing of your life as a samurai?"

"No," Toryiama replied gruffly with a prompt shake of his head, "It was never important. It will never be important."

Toushin quirked a brow. "Why is that, Toryiama-san?"

"History will never speak of me," he replied, "And I would rather it remain so blind."

Which was the truth. Hearsay about Shin's father was actually very scant. Today, of all days, contained the most suggestions about Toryiama's life as a samurai. Sure, every so often, someone had mentioned something about Toryiama as a legend of some sort, but that was extremely scant. Most people knew of him only as the creator of the Shiden style and, as such, the Tenken.

"I see," Toushin replied, before settling his attention upon Shin again, "But you do not have to be as ignorant as history, Shin-san."

Seeing Toryiama's aggravation, Ahiru quickly interjected: "Perhaps another day, brother. I do not think Yiama-ku--"

She stopped before she finished it. Truth be told, Shin didn't hear his mother talk about his father with an affectionate name or anything, so it might be new to him that she was calling him "Yiama-kun," even if she was suppressing the urge to.

"Toryiama-sama," she corrected herself; around her brother, titles and full names were kind of important, "Wants to talk of it right now."

"What of Shin-san?" Toushin replied, "He and I could walk, perhaps, and talk of it in private, if he would wish. If it would be better for Yiama-kun."

The last part was emphasized as a means of stern mocking. Ahiru averted her eyes from him and looked to the floor, feeling somewhat embarrassed, but not in a good way. Toryiama, on the other hand, had to suppress the urge to beat Toushin with his own cane. It was likely that this wasn't the first time he had to ever suppress that urge.

Profile  •  •  
 •  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:05 pm 
Almost Famous

The scene that unfolded before Shin was of the likes that he had never seen before. In a way Shin saw the way Toushin treated Toryiama slightly disrespectful, like a jab below the belt. When Toryiama didn't instantly rebuttal Shin was surprised, it took a moment for Shin to remember the hierarchy of things.

Toushin was, or had been, much higher on the totem pole then Shins father. Shin found his reaction surprising, he wasn't happy like he thought he would be. Somebody that Toryiama couldn't or at least wouldn't openly verbally abuse. He had become used to life around the house with everyone groveling at his fathers feet.

The fact that his mother was using a term of endearment for his father wasn't a surprise, but that she would make the mistake in open was. Shin agreed, he didn't have to remain ignorant to history and he was ready to to take that walk with Toushin, but he wouldn't.

The fact that Toushin made Ahiru embarrassed made Shin angry. A sort of protective anger, even something so slight made Shins blood boil and he didn't hide it in the least when he shot his uncle a look that reflected his feelings. The reaction was new and surprising to Shin, he never once considered himself a mamas boy and he wasn't ashamed of it in the least when it came to his realization.

"If my father deems it not important, then it is not important to me." Shin couldn't believe the words that were coming out of his mouth. He wasn't sure if he was speaking because he believed the words or out of a pure adolescence need to rebel against the man that Shin believed to have slightly insulted his father.

Either way Shin understood that he knew little to nothing of the politics of the Cizok, the Daiymo's and the Shogun were figure heads to him. He had only the slightest knowledge of how they effected him. Naive was a good way to describe Shin at this point, Naive but loyal to his family. His immediate family.

Profile  •  •  
 •  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:24 pm 

Toushin furrowed his brow. He looked rather disappointed in Shin's answer, actually. Ahiru, on the other hand, let out a very small sigh of relief. She feared the situation could have gotten ugly very early if Toushin had started to talk to Shin about his father's history openly, while Toryiama was there--or even if he decided to go for a walk and talk with Shin in private about it.

"I see," Toushin replied, "Feel free to tell me if you change your--"

"Excuse me," Toryiama declared outright, interrupting Toushin, even, as he stood up from his seated position.

But only to turn away from him and start out of the room. He left, and it took only a few more seconds for the sound of the front door opening and closing to ring throughout the house--

To be followed, in short, by an extremely awkward silence.

Profile  •  •  
 •  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:38 pm 
Almost Famous

Not so much as an approving grunt from his father left Shin feeling like he made the wrong decision. And the fact that he just up and left, walked away was disheartening to Shin. He looked over at his mother, a sort of a apology.

"Uncle." Shin spoke, ignoring his mothers earlier warnings about proper use of titles and taking a chance to speak to Toushin like a family member rather then a Daiymo.

"I would like to take you up on the offer. There are many topics to talk about I believe." Shin stood from his seat and waited for a reply. Of course the man could simply shoot him down and in that case Shin would retake his seat, he wasn't about to leave her alone with Toushin.

But if he accepted Shin would wait for Toushin to take the lead and follow a mere fraction of a step behind and to his right. Showing that he did realize that Toushin was his elder and superior, but that Shin was still trying to hold onto the fact they were family and it might count for something.

Profile  •  •  
 •  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:51 pm 

Toryiama's departure didn't seem at all disturbing or surprising to Toushin. He watched Toryiama go with a half knowing look, as if he'd guessed that would happen all along. To a greater extent, he probably should have. Not only had he known Toryiama from over eighteen years, but some portion of it apparently entailed that Toryiama was a subordinate of his.

Ahiru passed a concerned look to her son. She feared this wasn't the best of ideas, and was actually tempted to ask that he instead go get his father--but Toushin probably wouldn't have any of that . . . or, at least, he might pass harsh judgment were she to make such a request. That was the worst part about it, really. Toushin was a harsh judge.

"Ah. Yes, of course," Toushin replied knowingly.

Knowingly, as if he were acknowledging that Shin wouldn't have agreed to do that while his father was in the room. That was probably incorrect, but he didn't need to know that.

Toushin held onto his cane with both hands as he pushed himself up. Ahiru restrained herself from speaking, again--at least, on the subject of her husband.

"I will be with Sekino-san," remarked Ahiru with a hesitant smile.

A remark that seemed unimportant to Toushin, as he made his way to the door, to slip his sandals on, and proceed outside . . .

Profile  •  •  
 •