It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: The Legacy (Past)(Private)
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:05 pm 
Belligerent Beaver

Some powerful emotion flashed across Kensaki's eyes like quicksilver at the mention of the Singing Palm. Was it anger? Regret? Whatever it was, it was gone so quickly an observer might question if it had ever been there. Certainly, Kensaki's features never wavered; the smile that played across his face had a cruel cast to it.

"Left me for dead, yes. Killed me? No. There is a subtle but obvious difference between the two, a difference that has allowed Fate to bring us together once more." The capital letter was obvious in Kensaki's inflection, as if Fate were a person or being. "I must admit, Tenken, that I am not surprised to see you here, although it seems that the reverse is true."

He reached up with his free hand to untie his conical hat, letting it fall to the ground as he pushed it back over his head. As he did so, Shin would have a clear view of the strange glove like object Kensaki had apparantly donned during his display. It appeared to consist of three leather padded steel caps that covered the middle two fingers and thumb, all held into place by leather bands that connected to a leather bracelet.

"As to my sword, had I ceased carrying it, how would you have recognized me?" Kensaki laughed dryly, a laughter that never touched his eyes, two dark pools that were like windows to some shadowy, frozen hell. "Tell me, Tenken, would you have it sing for you once more? I must admit, you have been and will always be our favorite audience." Once again that dry, almost humerless laughter sounded from Kensaki's lips, in sharp contrast to the malicious laughter that still rang in his ears from within.

Profile  •  •  
 •  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:54 pm 
Almost Famous

Shin had still not risen from his kneeling position, nor had he removed his hand from the ground. But there was a difference in him, one that Kensaki would likely fail to notice. Shin was gathering Chi.

A smirk played its way across the Tenkens face and he continued to stare at Kensaki in silence for several long seconds before finally speaking. Shin was obviously in thought, thinking of the best way to word what he wanted to say.

“Not many could recover from that.” Was it a compliment? Not likely, Shin was simply stating the obvious, or at least admitting Kensaki was at the minimum a step above the common soldier, and if their was any doubt in Kensaki the mocking amusement could clearly be seen in Shins azure eyes.

“I have no need or want to hear its song.” Shin closed his eyes again, the smirk replaced by a mask of indifference. “You have already been beaten and therefore behind me.”

Profile  •  •  
 •  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:37 pm 
Belligerent Beaver

Shin was right, Kensaki could not feel that his opponent was gathering Chi. He was, however, weary of waiting for a moment years in the making.

"Enough of this petty exchange of insults, Tenken." Kensaki said icily, "Such behavior is beneath us. Let us converse on another level, on which we can truly understand each other."

Kensaki's grasped the hilt of his sword and drew it in a fluid motion, tossing the scabbard off to the side. Immediately, an ominous, musical hum filled the air, a sound that would be all too familiar to Shin, the song of Darkstar. The sword itself was darker than the blackest night, a solid shadow in the shape of a blade. Kensaki did not assume a fighting stance, however; he stood in the same position, regarding the ringing, dark sword he held with his head cocked as if listening intently. When he spoke, it was with what almost seemed reverence.

"I once told you that Darkstar sung a funereal hymn for the man about to die by its blade, a song to mourn their passing. After several years, I now believe that I was mistaken all along. It is not in mourning that Darkstar sings, but in longing. Longing for battle, and especially for blood. Do you know what the interesting thing is, Tenken? I am no longer entirely certain if it cares whether it is yours or mine."

Kensaki gave another low, dry chuckle before assuming the Star of Fate Stance. All of the seeming revery he had just displayed melted away as the corners of his mouth turned up slightly in a smirk.

"Rise, Tenken, and draw your sword. The moment is at hand. Whether or not you consider this fight finished is irrelevant, for I do not share the sentiment. Defend yourself or be cut down where you kneel."

Last edited by Kensaki on Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile  •  •  
 •  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:00 pm 
Almost Famous

When Darkstar was drawn and the song played a shiver ran down the length of Shins spine, he remembered all too clearly what that sword had done to Toku Ranpa when he had used it in the last fight and it was not something he wanted to witness again. The sword was dangerous in itself, a novice with that sword could be lethal to a lesser man and in the psychotic man across from him it was pure devastation.

Shin rose from his kneeling position, doing well to hide his wariness of Darkstar, though he opened his eyes and locked directly onto the source of the song. Shins left hand came to grip his sheath while his right reached across to rest on the hilt of the Shiden Blade.

The man across from him was dangerous and psychotic, but Shin didn’t think he was stupid. He vividly remembered the last fight and how it had nearly been him laying on the ground, still, Shin had won that fight and if he were in Kensakis shoes he would not have come back without improving and learning a few new tricks.

“Do you know why you were able to find me?” Shin said with a raised brow. “Because I wanted you to.”

“How would of you tracked me down if there had not been witnesses to tell of my victories, survivors to speak of me in fear?” A glint of bloodlust glimmered for a fraction of a moment in Shins eyes as he spoke, his features twisting into a cruel grin.

“If you wish to truly die by my blade this time, so be it. But it will be in a place where the world will be able to tell of how I crushed another promising swordsman.”

Shin stood from his Iaijutsu stance and let both arms hang loose. “You will not strike me down.” Shin stated flatly, going so far as to take a step forward. “Because I will not fight back.”

Profile  •  •  
 •  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:20 pm 
Belligerent Beaver

"You refuse to fight? I am not sure you understand the situation before you." Kensaki dropped his stance as Shin stepped out. The smirk remained on his face, but there was no humour in Kensaki's voice as he slowly began to walk, beginning a slow circle with Shin at its center.

"Frankly, Tenken, I do not believe you. You left those witnesses to tale their tale not so that I could find you, but rather to feed the flame of your legend. That they served as a treasure map with you at the 'X' seems more of an unintended consequence, since you were under the impression that I no longer drew breath." Another low chuckle. "Regardless, they are no longer able to serve either purpose, which brings me to my point."

If Shin did not turn to face Kensaki, he would continue his circle, speaking to the Tenken's back. If Shin did continue to face his opponent, he would notice that there was something strangley fluid about the way Kensaki walked. He would also notice that the smirk had faded from Kensaki's face, and that what seemed to be the first true emotion Kensaki had displayed thus far was emerging. Rage bubbled beneath the generally serene features like a volcano in imminent danger of erupting. His voice began to grow louder and more intense bit by bit, competing with the unsettling song of his black blade.

"As I have said, you do not understand. You fail to comprehend the lengths to which I have gone to achieve my vengeance. I intend not only to kill you, Tenken, but to eradicate you. I intend to wipe your very memory from existence, and I must say, I've made a fairly good start. Anyone I've met who can connect the name of Tenken to your description or name, I have cut down! Soon, only the mantle of Tenken will remain, and I will wear it rightfully!"

He stopped speaking and closed his eyes for a moment, never stopping his motion. Kensaki had been close to yelling by the end, but when he reopened his eyes and looked back at Shin, his features were once again composed and his eyes were as black glass. When he spoke again, his voice was back to its normal tone.

"You will not dictate the terms of my vengeance, Tenken. Now, raise your blade or be cut down."

Before he had even finished speaking, Kensaki had already launched himself at Shin, Darkstar crying out to the darkness even as it swung in a wide horizontal arc that would cut Shin in half should he choose not to defend. The movement was fast enough that a normal person would barely have time to register the movement before the blade struck.

Profile  •  •  
 •  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:00 pm 
Almost Famous

Shin thought briefly about clarifying Kensakis response, Shin had not meant him specifically but anyone who sought him out in hopes of claiming his title. He let it slide however realizing that it was a mute point and would get him no where. Instead he crossed both arms over his chest and pivoted on his left heel to keep Kensaki to his front.

“You… wish to be the Tenken? HAHAHAHA. Don’t mock the sacred title. How can a man that does not even understand what it means to be a Samurai, a Knight or even a warrior possibly undertake such a prestigious title?”

Kensakis movements were fluid, like water, but there was something different as well. Something that did not match with how Shin remembered him, had he changed his style completely since their last meeting?

As fast as Kensaki was Shin was still the faster and as Kensaki came forward Shin propelled himself backwards out of sword reach, leaping back onto a boulder only half the size of the one Kensaki had just destroyed.

From atop his perch, above Kensaki, he stared down the length of his nose with both arms still crossed in front of his chest. “You are not fit to claim the mantle of a warrior, let alone Tenken.” Shin suddenly dropped onto his ass, with his left knee propped up and left arm resting across it, his right leg dangled down the side of the boulder while his right arm was used to support his body weight from behind.

“The title is not one that can simply be taken. It must be granted, by the people, it is the populace that gives me power over them, not the Katana.” Shin explained, his eyes gazing up into the sky, and his tone nonchalant as if he were having a casual conversation over sake with a good friend.

Profile  •  •  
 •  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:50 pm 
Belligerent Beaver

As Darkstar slashed through empty air and Shin leapt backward, Kensaki slid to a near halt, pivoted, and resumed his slow, almost rolling walk with startling ease, the difficult shift in balance seeming effortless. His course remained a circle with Shin once again at its center as he listened impassively to the Tenken's lecture. Without ever looking, he navigated the rock strewn terrain as if it were completely natural to him.

"Once again, you fail to understand." Kensaki's words were laced with winter's frost. "Unless you intend to spend the remainder of your days running from my blade, you have little choice in the matter. You will fight me Tenken." His strangely gloved hand dipped into his robes, producing another of the odd black tuning forks, and struck it lightly and deftly against the blade of Darkstar. Immediately, the sword's dark song renewed with vigor, joined now by a small but quickly oscillating vibrating hum. So intertwined were the separate vibrations that they seemed almost one, although the vibration of the fork was beginning to escalate in volume and intensity.

"As to your title, I care nothing for the pathetic trappings that come with it, the power over peasants or its so-called sacredness." The corners of Kensaki's mouth curved upward in another slightly cruel smile, although this time the malice was nearly palpable. "The only thing you need to know, Tenken, is that your title will serve me well. It is merely one more thing we intend to take from you this night."

Again, Kensaki suddenly sprang toward Shin, but even faster than before, displaying speed that neared the maximum Shin had seen from him in their last meeting. He would attack with a flurry of slashes, changing direction seemingly effortlessly to follow should Shin continue to flee his attacks. All the while, the dark fork in his left hand continued to send out its pulsing hum, now risen until it dominated the original, meloncholy ring of Darkstar's blade.

Profile  •  •  
 •  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:25 pm 
Almost Famous

Those azure eyes hardened as he stared into the night sky. Kensaki didn’t seem to understand any of it, he was a merciless killer that cared only to prove one thing, and that was at the expense Shins life. Shin wanted to say more but he knew the man before him cared little for words, it was all about action.

When Kensaki reached into his robes Shin rose to his feet, he could not afford to be caught unaware by whatever tactic the mad man had conjured up. He vividly remembered what effects those tiny forks had produced last time, the devastation they had caused and the technique of his they had broken.

The last fight he was lucky that he had blocked with his shield of Chi, to block with his sword would have spelt death. With that memory fresh in his mind Shin knew he couldn’t risk blocking any attacks while that sword hummed its deadly tune, he would need to be extra careful.

Shin had long since surveyed the battlefield and part of the reason for him getting on the rock was to get a better view of his surroundings, which proved as useful as he thought.

Kensakis speed was what Shin had come to expect, just under what he showed last time. Impressive enough to catch any lesser warrior off guard, however, Shin was not a lesser warrior and as Kensaki came forward Shin once again retreated. Leaping straight backwards to land on another large boulder, when Kensaki approached the process would be repeated.

In essence Shin used speed and pre-planning to stay out of the mad mans reach, all the while he kept his right hand stretched across his body with his hand the hilt ready to withdraw the blade if the need arose. While this was happening Shin continued to gather his Chi, thought it was slowed by the need to concentrate on the battle at hand it was still being done and currently he had enough to perform any of his techniques multiple times….yet he still needed more, just a little more time.

Profile  •  •  
 •  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:39 pm 
Belligerent Beaver

Again and again, Shin leapt from boulder to boulder, narrowly but easily avoiding each attack. Soooon, so sooooooon. The dark whispered voice trailed off into hideous bouts of malicious laughter, the laughter of some demon child as it hunted its favorite prey. As he so often did now, Kensaki tuned the voice out until its hysterics were merely a buzz in the depths of his mind. The voice had been becoming more and more frequent since his first fight with Shin, until it seemed a nearly constant presence at times. Still, he mused, the voice was correct, as usual; it would not be long now.

By this time, the song of the fork in Kensaki's hand rang forth with such intensity that most people upon hearing it would sink their knees, clutching their ears in agony from the sheer force of it alone, not to mention the deeply unsettling nature of the sound itself. Everything about it seemed wrong to human ears, as if they were inequipped to process such otherworldly sounds. The purpose of the strange glove on Kensaki's left hand would now become clear; the padded caps over his fingers no doubt served to dampen the effects the fork would otherwise have on his hand.

Kensaki dashed toward Shin yet again and leapt up onto the rock on which he now stood, slashing fluidly from right to left as if to cut his opponent in half as before. This time, however, as the Tenken leapt backward Kensaki immediately swung Darkstar back in a powerful arc from left to right, clashing it against the ringing fork as he did.

"Shindou Nami."

The chaotic hum ceased immediately as a crescent wedge of force erupted forth from the tip of the shadowy blade, headed directly for the boulder on which Shin sought to land. The shockwave would seem far faster and vastly more powerful to Shin than those he had seen in the past, for Kensaki had let the fork ring far longer than would have been safe without the glove. The attack seemed timed to strike directly as the azure eyed swordsman would touch down, leaving no time for Shin to evade.

Kensaki instantly darted after the blast, all the time watching carefully for what he knew would come. If the Tenken desired to survive, he would need to change direction mid air. Kensaki was prepared to instantaneously change direction to pursue at the slightest hint of golden energy, using Shinsoku to intercept his enemy with a speed that would exceed what either had displayed so far. Essentially, just as he had promised, he would force Shin to fight.

Profile  •  •  
 •  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:28 pm 
Almost Famous

The tactic wouldn’t work forever, Shin knew that and yet he was hoping for a different technique of Kensakis, one that Shin had been prepared to counter. Yet not all was lost Shin told himself, he knew the sequence of techniques he could pull of that should leave him unscathed and his opponent not so lucky…the key was timing.

With one hand on his Katana, soaring back through the air, Shin unsheathed his weapon in a devastating iaijustsu attack even as Kensakis own weapon was slicing through the air. Kenkaze, the supersonic air current, while not lethal, would certainly leave a painful sword like gash across Kensakis torso if it struck.

The attack was three fold however, the attack was aimed not directly at Kensaki but just in front of him meaning that if he were to simply dash forward he would do so directly into Kenkaze, the second was too force him not to dash and but wait a mere fraction of a second of time and third was to turn himself around, the swing of his own sword performing such a feat.

Even as Shin turned a golden shield of chi appeared under his foot at an angle so that when Shin placed pressure upon it his body repositioned itself downward at angle, towards the waiting rock.

Then Shin was gone, leaving a golden streak behind in his wake.

The majority of the chi that Shin had been gathering was gone in that instant, the force of it exploding out from his feet, shattering his own shield technique and propelling Shin at the ground, to the opposite side of the boulder only a fraction of the blink of an eye before it would explode, to the normal person watching it would be even as it was exploding.

The rock exploded in all its glory, showering pieces of itself everwhere, there was literally nothing left in the devastation of the explosion. Not even Shin Shiden. Shin had used the boulder to block line of sight on Kensaki and then as it exploded, timed perfectly, used Shinsoku to escape the blast and carried the technique over into Shukuchi.

Shin made sure to stay behind boulders, using the sounds of the explosion to mask his own steps and keep Kensakis line of sight blocked the entire time, as to not let him catch view of Shukuchi. Regardless, as rocks and debris were still falling, a clapping would issue from the rock Shin had previously been on not but a second after Shin had vanished behind the rock.

“Are you finished?” Shin asked in all seriousness, weapon once again sheathed with arms crossed in a familiar stance of arrogance that the Tenken always seemed to display. Not a scratch was present on his form, nor was he breathing heavy yet.

“No single technique is going to prove which of is superior, yes?” And, giving into Kensakis demand, the sword came forth with an easy practiced grace, and was placed into Shins left hand as his right beckoned the mad man forward, an open invitation to clash swords with the worlds most legendary swordsmen.

Profile  •  •  
 •  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:07 pm 
Belligerent Beaver

It was an attack that Kensaki had seen before, this blade of pure air, although he hadn't expected the Tenken to use it in this manner. Still, it was a fairly simple matter to fluidly spring outside its arc without changing direction or losing a great deal of momentum. The instant he dodged his eyes caught a flash of shining, golden light from the direction of the Tenken, and he prepared to spring in whatever direction Shin moved.

His plan came unhinged as his oppenent rocketed instead toward his original destination at a shocking speed that matched or even surpassed his empowered Shindou Nami. Still, Kensaki told himself, this was not outside the scope of his expectations for the slightly built warrior. Just as his own strength had grown exponentially in the years since their last meeting, so must the Tenken's abilities have grown as well, at least to some extent.

What Shin had either forgotten or failed to take into account, however, was the fact that Kensaki also did not need the use of his eyes to "see". After extensive training in blind fighting, Kensaki's sense of hearing was probably among the best in the world, able to create for him a mental picture of the spacial relationships of the sources of any noise. Furthermore, accustomed as he was to training with immensly distracting sounds in the form of Darkstar's songs, the sounds of his own attack destroying the boulder did little to hamper his senses, and he was able to pick out enough of Shin's footfalls to discern at the least his approximate location and general destination.

So it was that even before Shin began to clap, he would find Kensaki already turning to face him, as if unsurprised to find his opponent behind, his mouth still set into a small, almost satisfied smile.

"So it would seem." Kensaki responded, his smile widening ever so slightly. Yeesssssssss. No more waiting, it is time. We will spill his blood! Again, maddened whispers gave way to fiendish, giddy laughter that exploded inside Kensaki's mind until he was forced to push the voice back into its recesses once again, wrapping himself more deeply in the Void. Kensaki almost always wore the Void like a mantle for his mind now, and his control over it seemed better than ever before; there was nothing he could do, however, to silence the voice completely, and the seemingly distant sounds of insane laughter still wavered on the edge of his perceptions.

When Shin beckoned him forward, Kensaki obliged gladly, springing forward even faster than before, although nowhere near the speeds the Tenken had reached, yet still reaching his opponent in the blink of an eye. As close combat would ensue, it would seem that Kensaki's movements were like water, seemlessly blending the martial arts with swordplay. Any attack was as likely to come from hand, foot, elbow knee, or even head as the sword, making him very difficult to predict and forcing Shin to react on instinct and skill alone.

Profile  •  •  
 •  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:10 pm 
Almost Famous

Predictability. That’s what Kensaki was to Shin at that moment, seeming to relinquish his own resolve and give into the mad mans demands so that he would come rushing headfirst into the fight, which was exactly what Kensaki did.

The Tenken watched, studied, judged and began to categorize Kensaki. No warrior ever gave it their all right away and came at an opponent with full power, to do such was foolishness and gave up the element of surprise. So Shin presumed that Kensaki was doing just that, coming at him with measured steps and a pre-determined plan, after all the man before him had nothing but time to plan his revenge.

Shins mind was calculating, near instantly, every detail that was laid before him filling in what he remembered from his first fight with Kensaki and what was being showed now. There wasn’t much of a difference, other then in style which barely resembled what Shin had seen last time, but speed hadn’t seemed to change much. It was a lie of course, Shin knew that, just as Kensaki knew Shin would be pulling a similar tactic, or would he?

Shin continued to gather Chi, though not at an extreme rate, but instead at a slow and steady pace so that he could concentrate on the battle at hand and then when the time presented itself use what he had gathered. An idea was forming in his mind…

Shin shot forward with a speed that would no likely be beyond anything Kensaki had seen before, Shinsoku at full speed which would propel Shin beyond his own already ludicrous speed and at such a short range with the two charging each other it could easily be mistaken for teleportation even to one as skilled as Kensaki. The idea was a simple one really, use his full ability unaided by Chi, and make Kensaki think it was Shins default and then force Kensaki to come forward with his all and then over time Shin would feed himself Chi to become stronger, faster and last longer and force Kensaki to realize how hopeless it really was to face the Tenken.

The technique he used on the charge was none other then the Gatotsu, a left handed thrust aimed at Kensakis heart and that put all of the momentum in to a devastating attack that could instantly be turned into another attack if the enemy dodged or block if Kensaki found a way to counter. The once ultimate attack of the Shiden Style, though Shin had secretly developed his own, one he didn’t think he would need this fight.

The benefit to Gatotsu, other then it’s versatility, was that because the attack was a thrust Kensaki would be forced to deal with it before he could get into striking range with his own limbs, helping to negate part of the advantage the taller man had on Shin.

Profile  •  •  
 •  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:47 pm 
Belligerent Beaver

Kensaki had the merest fraction of a second to react as the Tenken rocketed toward him at near unthinkable speed. The man was so accursedly fast! Even as his eyes perceived the nature of the attack, Shin was nearly upon him. The only thing that saved Kensaki from such an incredibly deadly technique was the particular nature of his training over the last years.

While it was clear that Shin had become far stronger and far faster than the last time they had fought, Kensaki had the advantage of having honed his abilities for the singular purpose of fighting one man. While much of Kensaki's training went to increasing his general abilities and skills in swordplay, a large portion went to perfecting ways to counter the particular abilities of the man before him, based largely on what Kensaki had seen in their last battle. He had assumed that Shin would have increased in speed, since that seemed his main focus, and had attempted to account for it with his training as well as possible. Kensaki doubted that even this display neared the Tenken's maximum, although it mattered little if he was unable to defeat this attack. What mattered was that Shin had shown this ablilty, or at least the stance associated with it, the last time, and that Kensaki believed he had devised a way to defeat it.

Thus, even as his quick thinking mind decided his course of action, his body had already begun reacting instinctively, utilizing a technique Kensaki had hoped to save for later in the battle. He had begun sliding to a halt immediately after perceiving the tension in Shin's muscles the instant before the pounce, but was still sliding forward as his opponent neared. The technique known as Shinsoku was at a basic level a combination of footwork and a particular utilization of muscle groups in the legs to instantaneously achieve maximum speed or more. Kensaki had essentially devised a way to apply these principles, minus the footwork of course, to his swordarm.

As the Tenken's blade shot swifter than an arrow toward Kensaki's heart, he swung Darkstar in a circular, upward arc that would deflect the attack over him in a movement so swift it would seem the sword almost disappeared. At the same instant, he planted his right foot hard, completely stopping his forward motion. He pushed off lightly with his left foot, using his remaining momentum to sidestep Shin even as the blade was deflected up, pivoting smoothly on his planted foot to end facing the opposite direction. Kensaki carried the upward arc of his sword into a lateral slash as he spun, slicing directly through the Tenken's path behind him just as the man would pass the spot. The entire, incredibly swift motion looked almost effortless and yet at the same time meticulously planned and practiced.

Profile  •  •  
 •  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:06 pm 
Almost Famous

The Tenkens visage was nothing short of contempt, his sword deflected high at the last possible second. He would have smirked if he hadn’t known a counter attack was coming, so easily that attack was defeated that if Shin hadn’t know better he would have sworn Kensaki was toying with him.

Yet, he knew that to not be the case. If it was the man would have never attempted his next move, a spinning strike that would have slashed Shin in two had he continued forward. However, Gatotsu required the user to transfer all that forward momentum into the sword strike and doing so required a solid base, which meant Shin had come to a complete stop.

Shins deflected sword arm went high and came around in a full circle, just as Kensaki went in a circle. Shins own attack could be described as a windmill, completing a full rotation of the arm before coming across his own body, using what little momentum he had in his swinging arm to block Kensakis own strike.

The block required Shin to bring his sword across his body, a dangerous move, but one that was compensated for by bringing his other hand to grip the hilt, making the block much more efficient and possible against his stronger opponent.

Shin would hold the block for a moment, long enough for him to stare into the eyes of his opponent. Shin did his best to appear bored with the fight.

__

“It sounded like black powder.” Torgu said warily as he carried a torch for Keno.

“Not quite. It was the sound of the boulder being destroyed, but lacked the boom…also, I smell no black powder in the air.”

Torgu grunted a reply and Keno couldn’t tell if he was agreeing or simply dismissing being proven wrong. It hardly mattered. Keno and Torgu moved with a purpose, their torch light showing them the way.

“I do not see another torch, are you sure they are out…did you hear that, it sounded like swords striking?”

Keno hadn’t heard anything but looked to Torgu as if he waited for more of en explination, to which the big man only shrugged and gestured towards where he thought he heard the sound come from.

--

Shin pressed off, propelling himself a few feet back and away from Kensaki, sword held in both hand in front of him. Shin could feel the Keno and Torgu approaching, and he knew Kensaki must have noticed them by now. It would only be a matter of time before they were found.

“Well…?” Shin asked, knowing full well that if they continued to fight Torgu and Keno would ally with himself, and though the two were not on the same level as Shin or Kensaki they would provide enough of a distraction Shin knew, enough to seal the deal, and so Shin waited for an answer.

Profile  •  •  
 •  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:13 pm 
Belligerent Beaver

It seemed that Kensaki had misjudged his opponent's attack, although it mattered little at the moment. As the two swordsman locked both blades and eyes, Kensaki faintly heard the voices of Keno and Torgu approaching from the direction of the camp. What troubled him was that he realized he had been hearing the noises they made in the background for some time now, but had somehow tuned them out, so intent had he been. Such a mistake, small as it was, could get a man like Kensaki killed. He wondered briefly if Darkstar, in its infinite bloodlust, had somehow blocked his perceptions, but dismissed the idea until he had more time to think about it.

Kensaki kept steady the pressure of his blade against Shin's until the man broke contact and jumped away, not even attempting to use his superior strength to overpower his slightly built opponent. Darkstar's song, renewed once again from the contact, sounded almost hungry as it filled the air with a melody that seemed darker than the night itself. As if in answer to the Tenken' brief question, Kensaki reached out with his left hand to silence the throbbing hum; oppressive silence hung in the air, broken only by the slightest of sounds made by the intruders as they approached in the distance. It was as if nature itself held its breath, waiting to see what would happen. Even the voice was strangely silent, as if it too were in a state of breathless anticipation.

"Until later then, Tenken." The dark swordsman's voice was void of emotion, but the instant he finished speaking the voice in his head broke its silence with a gusto. NOOOOOOO!! It raged and shrieked, until it felt like his ears would bleed despite the fact that there was no true sound. NO NO NO NO NO!!! We will finish this now! We MUST finish it now! WE WILL HAVE OUR VENGEANCE! More than anything, Kensaki desired to give in, to lash out once again against the Tenken, the object of his hatred. He knew, however, that fighting Shin alone would tax him to his utter limits, and that adding two more enemies regardless of their skill would spell disaster. With an effort, he suppressed the voice as well as he could, although it was far more difficult when it was this worked up. He could still hear it in the back of his mind, screaming and crying, sometimes begging and pleading with him in the voice of a child, but issuing idle threats and powerless commands just as often with a cruelty and malice that at times unsettled even Kensaki.

He turned sharply, lowering his sword, and walked toward where his hat and scabbard lay. He did not turn his head to address Shin as he continued speaking, his voice the same flat tone as before. "Do not cherish for even a moment the thought that this is over, however. This will end only when one of us ceases to draw breath. Remember that, Shin Shiden." Reaching down to pick up his scabbord, Kensaki sheathed his sword, then resettled his wide, conical hat on his head. He turned with an air of expectation to await the newcomers' arrival.

Profile  •  •  
 •