Dystopia

Skip to content

Change font size

Character voice meme

A board for casual, off topic discussion. So long as it is kept civil, anything can be discussed here.

Moderator: Paroxysm

Character voice meme

Postby Zombzeh Nayt-o! on Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:33 pm

So, Manda demanded that I post this and start it off on Dystopia. That said, if she doesn't participate in it, I'm totally going to brain her with a rubber fist.

A rubber fist wearing brass knuckles.

So, okay, this is how it goes: go out there on youtube, hulu, or whatever online media site you prefer, find a particular video, song, or summat that perfectly matches how you'd imagine one of your characters' voices to sound, and post it up, with (of course) an identification for which character it goes for. Ready? Okay. I'll start us off.

Etsu: Example. Not only is Etsu Japanese (or Cizokian, rather, according to Dystopian logic), but she's got this stoic, barely audible voice. She rarely puts any emotion in her voice at all, and does, amusingly enough, try to speak English often, resulting in a lot of Engrish.

Edii: Billy Idol whilst intoxicated. Yeah, yeah, I said it. Just watch during the interview, listen to how he talks, and compare it to Edii Terkins's almost incomprehensible accent. You will shit bricks.

Daniel: Example! Daniel's an almost average English youth. He's got kind of a deeper voice, but not too deep, and his accent is there, but not completely incomprehensible (I.E. Edii Terkins). Ben Barnes clearly has the best voice for this guy.

Recheov: Johnny fucking Rotten. Imagine, if you will, if Johnny Rotten were born with the ability to laugh. If you can do that, then you have Recheov's voice exactly. He might have a Russian name, but he's a twenty year old Cockney all the way. Recheov's voice was hard to pin down; I mean, he's a Cockney, but he's audible. He's also a chaotic kind of character; in fact, he's the embodiment of chaos--meaning the only roster of voices I could choose from were those of British punk rockers of the '70s. Unfortunately, almost all British punk rockers of the '70s were nihilists, so it's not really possible to find a voice that can go from happy to pissed off to philosophical all the same-- just the latter two, really. You've got to use your imagination to think of Johnny Rotten being happy, but let me tell you, when you do, you really kind of hope that you're not in his vicinity when he's all smiles. Chances are, someone's head is gonna fly.

Attis: Vincent Corazza. Vincent Corazza is the English voice actor for the character of Zexion in the Kingdom Hearts series. In case you don't know the character I'm talking about, just listen for the voice of the character with blue hair. So, I totally didn't want to pick from a pool of voice actors, but this fit Attis almost perfectly. Almost is the key word, of course. See, you've got to stretch it just a bit, and think of Corazza's voice as a bit more cheerful and upbeat than this, but retaining that same slow, methodical, consistently thought-out charisma. Attis is the type of character that could fit any number of roles: a blunt-force, in your face, focal character type of hero; a side character that aids the heroes regularly from the side-lines; a socially awkward man that's just out to help; a pure scientist; a villain that that plots out the moves of every hero he's up against; or even an antagonist that stands on the side-lines, whispering doomsday prophecies into the ears of lesser antagonists, and ultimately standing as the true enemy behind it all. That isn't to say that he does fill all those roles (he doesn't have the antagonist kind of personality), but still, he's got to have a voice that's ambiguous enough to fit any of those roles, and this one is the best I can find.

And tha~t's all I can think of at the moment.
Zombzeh Nayt-o!
Brainmongler

Re: Character voice meme

Postby Zach Kaiser on Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:21 pm

I haven't given it much thought, so I'll have to keep an ear out on Youtube and such for good voices; I have an idea of what each of my characters sounds like, but no clue offhand what offers examples. (I'll probably take a bunch of videogame voice acting, though.)

With one exception: Garv. I was in a dilemma when I bought Saint's Row 2, because of the three male voices there wasn't an Asian one (to match my ridiculous, blue-ponytailed Asian cowboy from the first game), nor was there a white American accent. But there was a British accent, and so I played the game as a Garv. Upon seeing this scene, I knew I made the right choice; it's not just the perfect voice, it's how he acts, even.

Signature by Nate-o
Zach Kaiser
Broseiden: God of the Brocean

Postby Alex on Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:11 pm

Yona: Minori Chihara is a decent actress and is pretty good at stoic characters, which is the perfect way to describe Yona. Sadly, the fact that she's also a musician/singer makes it pretty much impossible to find any of her rehearsal footage over the 'net.

Zaki Sa’id: Fake accent aside, Kang the Mad’s mannerisms are actually very similar to how I imagined Zaki’s, and his eccentrics are more or less dead on, too.

Bellamont the elf who was completly and utterly killed by poison candles: There is no real way to describe this poor elf who was assassinated by candles, I am only including him out of principal.

Anyways, coming up with voices for characters is much harder than I thought it'd be. Stopping here, most likely.
Need RP? Send [me] a PM.
Alex
Better than Nate

Postby Zombzeh Nayt-o! on Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:50 pm

Zach Kaiser wrote:I haven't given it much thought, so I'll have to keep an ear out on Youtube and such for good voices; I have an idea of what each of my characters sounds like, but no clue offhand what offers examples. (I'll probably take a bunch of videogame voice acting, though.)

Waiting on Kaiser and Eld, too. Impatiently so!

Cataclysm wrote:Bellamont the elf who was completly and utterly killed by poison candles: There is no real way to describe this poor elf who was assassinated by candles, I am only including him out of principal.

Such a noble voice for such a noble character. I tear up just thinking about him sometimes. May he rest in peace.

Cataclysm wrote:Anyways, coming up with voices for characters is much harder than I thought it'd be. Stopping here, most likely.

Yeah, it is pretty difficult. The only reasons I found so many for my characters were luck, epiphanies, and the fact that I have based several characters on pre-existing people and concepts (examples: Edii's voice and body language were originally based on young and drunk Billy Idol's and Recheov was originally inspired by 1970s British punk rock).
Zombzeh Nayt-o!
Brainmongler

Postby Zach Kaiser on Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:33 pm

So, I came up with a few more voices:

Kaiser--Dante of Devil May Cry I hesitated to use the voice of someone relatively well known, but...well, I honestly can't think of anyone else that conveys the same flippant, wild tone.

Christoph--Lezard Valeth of Valkyrie Profile An intellectual voice to the extreme, the trouble was finding one that wasn't obnoxiously so. While Christoph can certainly be obnoxious, he usually makes an effort to make a good impression on others, so he tries not to sound snooty most of the time.

Sorry, still looking for a good voice for Eld, Nate.

Signature by Nate-o
Zach Kaiser
Broseiden: God of the Brocean

Postby littlebean on Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:42 pm

Emli =Bleh from Drawn Together I searched yelling downsyndrome babies and yelling retards, but then I remembered a character who basically had his voice. His voice would be a tad deeper and he couldn't pronounce a lot of harder sounds or ssssssss noises cuz of his damaged tongue. The yelling is pretty accurate because of how hard of hearing he is.

Can't find one for Kremnaes yet.
littlebean
Loliest Loli on Dystopia

Postby Mandaz on Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:54 am

Mann:
Natalie Portman Example 1 I wanted something that sounded small yet had the capability to be vicious.

Edric:
Alex Ebert "Edward Sharpe" from IMA Robot Example 1 Example 2 Cute and a little crazy, just like Ed.

Sinir:
Keenan Maynard Example 1 Example 2 Technically, if you hear Sinir’s voice you’ll go insane, but it’s a damn fine last few moments of sanity.

Raziel:
David Dayan Fisher aka Xaldin Example 1 I KNOW IT’S A LITTLE NERDY TO HAVE A KINGDOM HEARTS VOICE ON HERE but this voice actor is just so perfect and I couldn’t find anything else he’d done.

Manny:
Example 1 First singer
I figure this kid’s voice is pretty perfect for him, considering you can’t really place the age of the guy, but masculinity is obviously NOT his strong point. It’s also pretty cute and nasally, perfect for this little faggot.
Mandaz
Delicious Retard

Postby littlebean on Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:42 am

MANDA ALL MY LIFE WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN!?
Last edited by littlebean on Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
littlebean
Loliest Loli on Dystopia

Postby Zombzeh Nayt-o! on Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:38 pm

FFFFFFF. So, okay, I was determined that I'd never find a voice on these internets that would resemble Aria's. But then I suddenly did:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MvMlkL1O24

What gets me the most though is that the girl in this video is actually named Aria.

Edit: found another addition to the voice meme, this time fitting the character called "The Legionnaire." The voice actor/singer that I find most similar to the Legionnaire in voice is named Joe Romersa. There's another video out there regarding him wherein he talks frequently, but the video itself is very silly.
Zombzeh Nayt-o!
Brainmongler

Postby Zombzeh Nayt-o! on Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:33 pm

Here's a double post, but I care not. I feel like this needs to be here and bumped.

The Seeker: Tom Waits. Specifically Tom Waits reciting poetry. The Seeker speaks with this deep, raspy, and unnervingly creepy, monotonous voice that makes me think of this piece by Tom Waits every time I write his dialog.
Zombzeh Nayt-o!
Brainmongler

Postby littlebean on Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:32 pm

Finally found Kremnaes's voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIFt8z7W ... re=related

Don't judge. I like Farscape.
littlebean
Loliest Loli on Dystopia

Postby Skylar on Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:26 pm

Since no one else asked, I'm going to... A FUCKING RUBBER FIST NATE? wtf...really...

And, I <3 Mr Rotten...that excites me!
Skylar
Almost Famous

Return to Off Topic