Dystopia

Skip to content

Change font size

Discretion

All roleplay that is not part of the Utopian/Dystopian canon goes here. This includes a range of subject matters, such as science fiction, modern, and subject matters regarding alternate universes (such as Ayenee, Valucre, and etc.).

Re: Discretion

Postby .deceitful. on Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:43 am

7:51 AM
Friday Morning

When I heard her voice, I thought I'd be surprised.

I wasn't.

I suppose somewhere deep inside, after the hellish night I'd had, I was fully expecting to hear from her.

I could feel my teeth clenching; I had to make a physical effort to relax and respond in a civil manner. ...I said civil. Not nice.

"You didn't. I never said."

I wasn't exactly sure how to take this Megan Williams. Surely she knew the trouble she was in, so why call me? Was she ready to talk? Good question.

"So, Megan Williams, are you ready to talk? If not, you're wasting my time."

A piece of paper intruded into my vision from inside the car. I took it. Scanned it.

Frowned.

The cleanup crew that reported to the William's house told headquarters they'd found nothing. No blood. No bodies. No shells. No footprints. No bullet holes in the walls.

Obviously, somebody thought something important there was worth hiding.

Character Sheet: Isaram
.deceitful.
Badminton Enthusiast

Postby Skylar on Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:55 pm

7:52 AM
Friday.

I’m not sure why he thought being a dick was the way to go, but I took a deep breath to make sure I didn’t lash out at him, not that he would care, but I would.

“The question is Detective, are you?”

My voice was still mellow and calm, with a dash of coyness on the side. I didn’t know anything the first time I had spoken with him, and now....well...Let’s just say he doesn’t wanna know the shit I know now...

“I’m sure you have questions, but so do I. You first?”

Damn right I had questions, multitudes of them. I wondered if he would answer them, if he could answer them, or if he would just hang up on me. I told myself he wanted to talk to me worse then he was letting on. Bad cop? That routine wasn’t going to work. I wasn’t in a holding cell being questioned by two cops, this was a phone conversation...

Then again, he could be just a crab ass, taking his bad days out on everyone else. I didn’t know him, he didn’t know me, so I shoved my assumptions to the side. I told myself at this point, if he was really trying to get to the bottom of all this, he was in as much danger as I was, maybe even more so since he had the badge, and I was no one...and for being no one, they wanted me dead awful bad.
Skylar
Almost Famous

Postby .deceitful. on Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:59 pm

7:52 AM
Friday Morning

I felt like she was playing games with me.

I dont like games.

"Listen."

I could feel the grinding in my molars coming back, typically it predated a savage outburst. I swallowed my anger and though my words may have been interpreted as brusque, you couldn't say they were vicious.

"I dont think you understand the situation you're in here. You're in danger."

I didnt know whether or not she knew that, but after my night I had to drive the point home to her.

"As of yet, there's only a minimal search going on for you, the police aren't putting that much effort into it. But let me tell you, I can change that. And I will find you. I promise you this will not be fun."

I took a breath, glancing at the papers in my hand, then dived right back in.

"Did you know -- the crime scene in your house? It's gone. Wiped clean. As in, nothing ever happened there. Even down to the scuffs on the floor. And I can tell you that it wasn't the police who did it. So if you know something, then you need to tell me!"

The hand holding the papers clenched involuntarily. The rookie slid them out of my hand. When I looked at him, he was pointing at the screen in the car and shaking his head as if to indicate "no go." So she was on a secure line?

I wondered the why, what, where and why.
.deceitful.
Badminton Enthusiast

Postby Skylar on Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:51 pm

7:53 AM.
Friday

He was telling me nothing new. I knew these things. Did he forget the first time we spoke was while I was at my house? I knew it had all been covered up. I knew there was no crime scene to mention. I knew the cops had nothing to go on, no leads....as if John had never existed. As if none of them ever were. That pissed me off...

I let him feel like the hero, telling me about the danger I was in. I well knew that. I wanted to scream at him, tell him how piss poor I thought his force was, but frankly I didn’t think he was the type of guy that would give two shits. Finally, when I thought he was through, since he stopped talking, I picked up where he left of. Least in my mind....

“I’m in danger?”I had to stop myself a minute. I almost laughed. I don’t think he realized the danger I was in. “The moment you looked at this case file Detective, you became just as much in danger as I. I know that there is no crime scene, I know it was wiped clean, and I know it wasn’t your department. What I don’t know, is who on your force helped. And it’s that you need to be leery of, not me.”

I paused for a moment. I didn’t know what to tell him, if anything. For all I knew, he was the informant, if there was one. I didn’t really know if these people after me needed that. I didn’t know how powerful they were, but I had my idea.

“I will tell you this though. What happened at my house, had nothing to do with me. And the only reason why they want me, is because they think I know something. When we first talked, I knew nothing. Things have changed since then though. You don’t have to trust me, or even take what I say with a grain of salt, because I assure you, you do not have my trust. But watch yourself, and trust no one, I assure you, they are looking for you, and they will find you.”

I swallowed hard. This man could be married, with a family. They could take him from his wife just as they took John and Jake. He could be a good man, with good intentions, but I couldn’t take that risk, at least, not yet. Not until I had reason to. Not until I knew he was worthy of my trust. Christian and I couldn’t afford any loose ends, not now, not ever. Not if we wanted to live.
Skylar
Almost Famous

Postby .deceitful. on Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:07 am

7:54 AM
Friday Morning

Unfortunately, I wasn't a man with a boatload of patience.

Granted, in my position, you might think I should.

I'm a detective. I'm not a fucking street cop, walking the beat and responding to domestic violence. ...if the bitch kept her mouth shut, she wouldn't get slapped.

Moving on.

"Let me worry about the leak in the force. That's being taken care of."

I hadn't seen that detective since the bar last night, and he hadn't been there for the night's festivities, but I was certainly going to find his ass. And when I did, I plan to extract information, just as they tried to do to me.

"More importantly, you think you know the danger you're in? Fine. I wont play word games with you. You say they'll find me? You're late. I just spent the night being cut, stabbed, probed, shocked, beat and bludgeoned by some shady organization who just happened to pop up not too long after our first contact."

I wasn't trying to be a hero, I was trying to keep a life from being wasted. That doesn't make me a hero. ...I hate heroes.

"If they're looking for you, it's for a reason. And it seems not even you're aware of what they may want from you."

Unbeknownst to me, an unbelievable strength surging through my limbs caused my grip on the roof of the car to dimple the metal under my fingers.

I didn't notice it at the time. I'm sure if I had, it would've scared me.

"So, fair warning. If the seven men I killed last night were looking for you, then that's seven less you have to worry about it. In turn, I'll be turning this city's eye on you. You might think you can't be found. I'm not a detective for nothing and the police force at my back, your options will be whittled away until you have nothing."

I could feel my scowl cutting deep into my forehead.

"This is no threat but you leave me very little option."

I would give her a moment to say what she had to, but I doubted she could sway my mind. If she had nothing to say, I would hang up.

I had work to do.
.deceitful.
Badminton Enthusiast

Postby King on Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:44 am

Though I was only getting half of the story, the conversation seemed to be going rather well; that fact that the Detective answered the phone at all gave testament to his resolve. I was no fool - I was quite aware Cerberus had long-since reached him, yet somehow, some way, he was alive. Depending on the circumstances, things seemed like they were about to get a lot more interesting.

"Don't hang up." I wasn't sure if their conversation was nearing it's end or not, but I wasn't about to let this lead fall out of our hands. She may have been a bad bitch, and I a super human, but we both still hand out limits. "When you're done talking to him, pass me the phone."

At that moment, I didn't have a solid game plan. I wanted to play things by ear, but somehow he just didn't seem like the guy I could do that with. So, as they continued on, I began cooking up some kind of plan to get this guy to play ball. He didn't need to know our life story; however, dropping a little information on the table couldn't hurt too much. . .

. . . Hopefully.
King
Badminton Enthusiast

Postby Skylar on Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:02 pm

I was patient. Even though I didn’t want to be. He....he was arrogant, though I’m sure that was just part of his job. It did ease my mind a bit to know that he was aware that someone he was working with was dirty. These things don’t happen with some kind of involvement. Or at least I didn’t think so.

I gasped quietly when he broke the news that someone had already gotten to him. Seven me in fact he said. What the fuck was he? Bruce Willis in Die Hard?

“Listen Detective, call me Meg, alright? My mother is the only person who ever calls me Megan. As for why they are looking for me...You’re right, I don’t know, and at first, there shouldn’t have been any reason save for the fact that I was engaged to John. I really don’t know what you want me for either since we’re on the subject.”

I looked at Christian with wide eyes. I had thought we agreed to not let him know I was with someone, but obviously he had another idea. I simply shook my head to him, I had to trust him, my life depended on it.

I fell quiet for a second, searching my thoughts for the right words, and the only thing that seemed right at this point in time was simple. “I’m sorry for what they must have put you through. There must be a reason you’re so strong willed, else you would have never made it.” Another pause, I had a lump in my throat, thinking back to that night at home...”Uhmm, I have someone here that wants to talk to you Detective....” I passed the phone to Christian...
Skylar
Almost Famous

Postby .deceitful. on Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:50 pm

7:56 AM
Friday Morning

She said she didnt know what I wanted her for.

Wasn't it obvious?

If there's something your opponent wants, then it's important to them. Thus, it doesnt matter it's value to you...its valuable simply because it's important to them.

That's why I wanted her, because they wanted her. And if I had her, she didn't.

I'd learned that in a training class I'd taken with the military when I was younger...

...or had I?

I was too focused to really think about it though.

I listened to what she had to say.

I didn't need her apologetic sentiments, but I kept that to myself. A tapping from inside the car caught my attention and I stooped down. The rookie mouthed to me that he was having no luck on the trace. So it was a secure line.

Then she said someone wanted to speak with her. At first I thought this shadowy Cerberus had gotten to her. Then I dismissed the notion.

"Who is this?"
.deceitful.
Badminton Enthusiast

Postby King on Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:41 pm

"I know you probably hear this a lot, but my name isn't important right now." My voice was adamant as was my resolve; it was quite obvious there was a difference between the woman and I. "But before we get any further into this conversation, I'll let you know you're assumptions are wrong."

Cerberus didn't want Megan, they wanted to kill her. If it was either of us that they wanted, it would without a doubt be me.

"You're not going to get what you need thinking Meg is in the limelight. She's just another person on their list, just like you, though she may hold more importance simply due to being with me. The fact that Cerberus got to you and you're still breathing means you're a man that I can use on my team. However, if we're going to play ball, I have certain stipulations."

I took a quick breath because what I was about to say was going to go by fast. We'd been talking for too long already.

"You leave behind everything, and I mean everything. You can't depend on anyone in your department, even though I'm sure you'd like to, or you'll end up dead. You need to go to your house and collect whatever items you might think you'll need, but don't bring anything they'll be able to track - cell phone, pager, et cetera. Rent a car, a gray toyota carolla, and drive to the Apple Bee's on the West Side of town tomorrow night; be there at eight o'clock sharp, no earlier and no later. Do this and I'll tell you everything you need to know to survive this hunt and take these guys down. Don't, and you'll miss your chances."

Click!

There wasn't anything more to say. If he thought he could catch them, well then the best of luck. By this time tomorrow he would be hunting ghosts, mere fantasies. "We'll see how this turns out, I'm hoping for the best."

I yawned, practically throwing myself back on the bed. "Movie?"
King
Badminton Enthusiast

Postby Skylar on Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:51 pm

I was shocked as his brashness. There were no pleasantries at all, he was straight to the point, no bullshit. It was admirable, since...we didn’t really have time for pleasantries. Perhaps mine were just me being a woman.

I think somewhere deep down I knew that Cerberus had no interest in me alive. But to hear it spoken, well, it sent a chill down my spine. It also made me think of the things they would do to Christian if they got their hands on him. Death would be welcomed, I was sure of it, but this thought only made me look at him more deeply then before.

I lay my head back down on the pillow beside him as he lay his stipulations down on the table. If the Detective denied this offer, would he do as he threatened and bring me into the limelight himself? Before I knew what had happened, Christian flopped back down beside me.

Abruptly I sat up. A movie, really? I looked at him with a furrowed brow. Furrowed from confusion, not anger. “He threatened to “turn the cities eye on me”. I don’t know what he wants. Drives me insane...” I let it go at that an flopped back myself. “What movie you have in mind?” I couldn’t help but smile. It felt nice to play normal, even if it was nothing more then a lie.
Skylar
Almost Famous

Postby .deceitful. on Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:34 am

8:01 AM
Friday Morning

I very rarely show anger.

That's not to say I don't get angry, because I do. I just try not to show it.

"FUCK!"

Sometimes, it doesnt work however.

"Fuckers wanna play games huh?! Let's do this shit!"

My savage mutterings were met by the wide-eyed stare of the rookie as I slid back into the car. His eyes asked the question his mouth didn't dare.

I didnt answer.

I hadn't made up my mind on what to do about Megan and her new partner, whoever he was. One thing was for certain, I was tired of being the only one who didn't know anything.

"Just drive. What happened with the trace?"

"I kept coming up with nothing. It's like the number calling you didn't exist. But I can work on it though, I traced your phone's signal trail backwards basically. Given time, I might be able to get you a general area where the call originated from. But it'll be a while and it's not garunteed."

The kid knew his stuff. I nodded approvingly.

"Ok. This is about to get real complicated. When we get back to the station, I need you to lock yourself away in an office and work your computer magic."

"What are you gonna do?"

I smiled a grim smile.

"I'm going hunting."
.deceitful.
Badminton Enthusiast

Postby King on Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:34 pm

"I'm not entirely sure," I blurted out with a sigh. "I've been in the mood for a really good action movie, but then at the same time I'm craving some comedy. Eh, I guess we can see what's on Pay per view."

Casually, I flicked on the TV that sat on the dresser opposite to the bed. Like the rest of the house, it was fancy - fifty inch, 1080i flat-screen; the TV itself was almost as beautiful as the vibrant colors dancing across its screen. I brought up the menu and slowly began to scan through the listings, adverting my eyes onto Meg for a moment. I realized I had completely ignored her previous statement. "And don't worry about it. Like I told him, if he doesn't cooperate he'll be hunting ghosts. He won't find us, especially out here."

I smiled and turned my head back to the TV. "300 sound good to you? Wait, what woman doesn't like that movie?"
King
Badminton Enthusiast

Postby Skylar on Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:57 am

10:23am
Friday morning

It was relaxing, not having any worries, just watching a movie. I knew it would be short lived, but I basked in the moment anyways. I needed that. Now that the movie was over though, I wondered if he would wanna get back on the move, he had mentioned as soon as we had woken up something about leaving, but I wasn’t sure if he had changed his mind.

I lay on my back and stretched with a groan. “So, what’s the plan?” I allowed myself a moment to really look him over. He wasn’t a bad looking guy at all, in fact, he was rather charming. I couldn’t help but smile at him.

“I bet that cop is pissed. He doesn’t seem to be a very tactful guy.” I imagined that the Detective didn’t have time to say much of anything to Christian, then again, I assumed that’s how Christian intended on it being.
Skylar
Almost Famous

Postby King on Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:35 am

"We'll see if he shows up." I spoke with a deep sigh, my doubts about him actually going through with it quite clear. She was right. He did seemed pissed - but even more so, he seemed challenged. While Christian wasn't in a position to doubt his connections or contacts, it was still a little bothersome. He knew how relentless these detectives could be. "Until then, we've got some time to kill and just relax. Soak it up while you can, these moments won't be abundant."

He gave her a halved smile, followed up by a wink. "I've got a whole collection of DVDs; any movie you can think of, it's probably over there in that cabinet. If not, and your'e into gaming, the Playstation, Xbox, and Wii are downstairs. Again, only if you're into that kind of thing."

Christian rolled over onto his side, taking Meg into his full view. "Or. . . we could do whatever you'd like. We're free here."
King
Badminton Enthusiast

Postby .deceitful. on Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:04 pm

11:07 PM
Friday Morning

The back wasn't long, but it was even shorter with the thoughts rambling around in my head...rambling around.

I was so caught up, when we arrived at the station, the rookie had to shake me out of reverie.

Like an automaton, I tossed my coat over a chair, followed by my hat and then my ass; in another chair. I couldn't erase the frown on my brow. I tried. Didn't work. I sighed, closing my eyes and leaning my head back to rest.

What should be my next move?

That guy on the phone...he obviously knew more than I did, but I didn't like his attitude. Not that it matter, but I think I was more pissed that he knew more than me, than anything else. I felt like a pawn in a game where everybody else were kings. The phone on my desk rang. I picked it up.

"Go."

The voice on the other end came through warbled and distorted.

"I can help you."

Startled for just a moment, a chilled out and sat back again, keeping my voice low. I made no attempt to act as though I didnt know what this person was talking about, but I offered no information.

"How."

A pause.

"Not on this line. And not on your secure cell either. In fact, not even in your office. Can you get back to your car?"

I hung up, muttered something about the bathroom, and headed to the garage. What was that tingle in the back of my head?

.deceitful.
Badminton Enthusiast

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous Roleplay