Dystopia

Skip to content

Change font size

Everything You Wanted to Know about DAICHONS...

All out of character topics about particular roleplays go in this forum. Global roleplay announcements will also be made here.

Moderator: Paroxysm

Everything You Wanted to Know about DAICHONS...

Postby Princeben07 on Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:35 pm

I'm here to answer ALL questions about the mighty race of wolf-like creatures called Daichons.

please do not hesitate to ask me ANY question. I'll be happy to help out.
"Basking in The Summer Sun, I greeted the Seabirds; but then, I entered the Demon's Den."
Princeben07
Badminton Enthusiast

Re: Everything You Wanted to Know about DAICHONS...

Postby Shin on Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:07 pm

...what exactly are they?

Pokemon?
..strive to be like water....
A list of all of my characters on Dystopia.
Shin
Almost Famous

Postby Princeben07 on Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:04 pm

Shin wrote:...what exactly are they?

Pokemon?

Daichons are creature created by a being called Zostrix. They are originally from another dimension, but were given physical conformance to walk the physical plane. They are however Astral Pojections of their actual bodies, which rest inside of the Geostratum OF Antiquity.

Some can be as small as 4 feet tall, while some elders can exceed 34 feet tall and weight close to 14 tons in some cases, depending on evolution and genetic stability. Benaires is the Prince-to-be of all Daichons, but must continue his painful and grotesque training of Dark Terror, or "Shadow Of The Soul."

His specs are on his character sheet, which can be found on this site with ease.

May The Ancestral Pattern have mercy upon ye.
"Basking in The Summer Sun, I greeted the Seabirds; but then, I entered the Demon's Den."
Princeben07
Badminton Enthusiast

Postby Sage on Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:08 am

So...Pokemon. Got it.
Sage
Almost Famous

Postby Iskander on Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:53 am

Aren't they a bit powerful for a MP setting?
Iskander
Belligerent Beaver

Postby Princeben07 on Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:06 am

After being embarrassed by Uber-godly PC'ers, I've come to the conclusion that you can never have too much power, even for an MP setting.

You don't have to dumb things down to have some good RP, trust me on this. And NO, they are not Pokemon.
If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Stick to the topic. Thank you.
Princeben07
Badminton Enthusiast

Postby Iskander on Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:12 am

I have to disagree. Pure power in an rp is meaningless. In fact, I also disagree that there's no such thing as "too much power". There is. There's too much power when whatever uber being you're (general you) playing makes the plot "not fun" for the other people involved.

Edit: As an additional note, we're not PCers here. This forum is MP by its very rules. PC cannot happen within the plots.
Iskander
Belligerent Beaver

Postby Shin on Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:44 am

I do have to agree, there is such a thing as too much power. Which is why Nate has named this a mild powers RP. Now... everyone loves having uber powerful characters, but even such characters on this site can never obtain godly powers.

Trust me, Nate knew what he was doing when he made the rule.

On a side note though, Your character is very unique. I was looking through his character profile and I like what I see, ough, some of your wording is a bit confusing and there are is a lot to go through. I think it would help if you organized the page a little more, perhaps give a little more description on some abilities.

I dont mean to toot my own horn, but my character, Shin Shiden, has a fairly put together profile thats easy to follow. There are dozens of profiles on this site that would be good to follow. Of course you dont have to take my suggestion, but thought I would throw it out there anyways. :)
..strive to be like water....
A list of all of my characters on Dystopia.
Shin
Almost Famous

Postby Alex on Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:19 pm

Going to throw this in here. High Power and Godly characters can be in a plot. But it's usually as an NPC and/or boss that plays the role of an antagonist. It's usually at the GM's discretion at how powerful the character is and how they're used, but in the end it doesn't really matter.

After being embarrassed by Uber-godly PC'ers, I've come to the conclusion that you can never have too much power, even for an MP setting.

My buddy Josh used to go around starting T2 battles in Y! Chat and forums, he was a godly PCer, and only required one post before killing someone. As fun as that sounds, it doesn't offer any development for either character, and doesn't really serve a purpose. There's a reason he doesn't RP anymore. There is such a thing as too much power; if your character can split atoms, or induce ion blasts, or generally control and/or manipulate the electromagnetic spectrum to his every whim--you're doing something wrong. Nobody wants to RP with the one douche who has his character fight several dimensions away, with an intangible avatar being the only interface for you to interact with.

At any rate, I don't think your characters are too powerful for a mild-power setting; provided that you know how far you can push when RPing with other players. Just sayin'.
Last edited by Paroxysm on Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Need RP? Send [me] a PM.
Alex
Better than Nate

Postby Zombzeh Nayt-o! on Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:22 pm

Trydian wrote:I have to disagree. Pure power in an rp is meaningless. In fact, I also disagree that there's no such thing as "too much power". There is. There's too much power when whatever uber being you're (general you) playing makes the plot "not fun" for the other people involved.

Edit: As an additional note, we're not PCers here. This forum is MP by its very rules. PC cannot happen within the plots.

Shin wrote:Trust me, Nate knew what he was doing when he made the rule.

Cataclysm wrote:Going to throw this in here. High Power and Godly characters can be in a plot. But it's usually as an NPC and/or boss that plays the role of an antagonist. It's usually at the GM's discretion at how powerful the character is and how they're used, but in the end it doesn't really matter.

My buddy Josh used to go around starting T2 battles in Y! Chat and forums, he was a godly PCer, and only required one post before killing someone. As fun as that sounds, it doesn't offer any development for either character, and doesn't really serve a purpose. There's a reason he doesn't RP anymore. There is such a thing as too much power; if your character can split atoms, or induce ion blasts, or generally control and/or manipulate the electromagnetic spectrum to his every whim--you're doing something wrong. Nobody wants to RP with the one douche who has his character fight several dimensions away, with an intangible avatar being the only interface for you to interact with.

All of the above.

Cataclysm wrote:At any rate, I don't think your characters are too powerful for a mild-power setting; provided that you know how far you can push when RPing with other players. Just sayin'.

Maybe. The same rule of thumb applies as always, though. If you can look at it and think, "Hm, this might be a little powerful, comparatively," then it can't hurt to tone things down a li'l.

Anyways, by virtue of the fact that none of us here really put much stock into T1 ability, and prefer the writing and story quality someone can present us, I don't think you have to worry about getting destroyed in combat, Ben. Honestly, if you get your character into a battle outside of the arena, the fight's probably going to be choreographed.
Zombzeh Nayt-o!
Brainmongler

Postby Princeben07 on Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:02 am

Mild Power or whatever they are calling it nowadays. Many sites have their choice of powers, so as long as whomever can do the writing.

Even at MP, you can back smack someone who does PC. I take it as this: I've done PC and am more than ample with MP. I've done Melee, T2-Royale, T1 PC-DM, you name it, the furball has done it. Settling inside of oneself is what alot of RP'ers are not comfortable with doing. 15 years plus and this character is still loveable, clusmy and powerful when he wants to be!!

Track it down, take a picture, take notes, it really doesn't matter. Being unique is what separates us from the oki-dokes.

"We will now inject baoh into the boy's bloodstream where it will travel to the brain via the blood vessels and grow to maturity."--DORES Director, BAOH, 1989.
Princeben07
Badminton Enthusiast

Postby littlebean on Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:58 pm

Princeben07 wrote:After being embarrassed by Uber-godly PC'ers, I've come to the conclusion that you can never have too much power, even for an MP setting.

I'm not a genius with this kind of stuff, I probably shouldn't open my mouth and leave this to the big boys but....you're preventing yourself from being embarrassed by Uber-godly type characters by BEING one? Doesn't that seem a bit silly? The only reason you were embarrassed was because characters like that were around in the first place. If over powered characters are the problem Prince, I don't think the solution is another over powered character. I think the solution is to remove them, you know, to prevent stuff like that from happening in the first place.

That's just my two cents, I felt it was appropriate since everyone else was piping up. Also, this is the admin's rp, so whatever they say goes regardless. I can't speak for everyone else but I'm quite content with the way they run things and I'm sure the other members are as well, otherwise they wouldn't be here. So you're not going to find anyone to agree with you.
littlebean
Loliest Loli on Dystopia

Postby Princeben07 on Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:30 pm

littlebean wrote:
Princeben07 wrote:After being embarrassed by Uber-godly PC'ers, I've come to the conclusion that you can never have too much power, even for an MP setting.

I'm not a genius with this kind of stuff, I probably shouldn't open my mouth and leave this to the big boys but....you're preventing yourself from being embarrassed by Uber-godly type characters by BEING one? Doesn't that seem a bit silly? The only reason you were embarrassed was because characters like that were around in the first place. If over powered characters are the problem Prince, I don't think the solution is another over powered character. I think the solution is to remove them, you know, to prevent stuff like that from happening in the first place.

That's just my two cents, I felt it was appropriate since everyone else was piping up. Also, this is the admin's rp, so whatever they say goes regardless. I can't speak for everyone else but I'm quite content with the way they run things and I'm sure the other members are as well, otherwise they wouldn't be here. So you're not going to find anyone to agree with you.

Huh? I couldn't make out what you were saying?

"The only reason you were embarrassed was because characters like that were around in the first place."

I'm sorry, being a retarded guy means I didn't have the imagination to picture it as such. ^_^

"I don't think the solution is another over powered character."

If you think ben is over-powered, then you really need to examine a PC User's Guide. He pales in comparison to PC'ers.
And I'm not looking for anyone to agree with me. I could care less about who agrees with me. I't's JUST fiction, so I don't really have to perk my ears forward for that you know. ^_^
Princeben07
Badminton Enthusiast

Postby Zombzeh Nayt-o! on Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:05 pm

To summarize the debate, I think the main question at hand is this:

Is a Daichon a mild powers character? If not, tone them down for Dystopia/Utopia settings. If they are, however, MP characters, then don't worry about that. The fact remains, though, that the canon worlds of Dystopia (Dystopia, Utopia, Oblivion, etc.) adhere to a mild powers rule. It's a site rule, man. It's one of the very few rules we have, even.

The misc. RP section, on the other hand, adheres to whatever rules/guidelines the creator of the RP chooses.
Zombzeh Nayt-o!
Brainmongler

Postby Sage on Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:48 pm

You don't have to dumb things down to have some good RP, trust me on this. And NO, they are not Pokemon.
If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Stick to the topic. Thank you.

No offense, honestly. I assumed anyone outside the forum looking over it and joining would in all likelihood expect a little bad humor. On the other hand, blah blah, PC becomes NPC or nerfed...et cetera, et cetera. Though I really don't think you were trying to PC, moreover a discussion about a faction turned into a debate about PCs, which turned into an inquiry as to whether you planned on God-moding it.

But uh...olook. Since you said the ' you can never have too much power in a mild power forum ' comment in a post which had a quip at me about minding my manners, I'll echo Nate, as he made a good point. For one, once you have a character with a certain amount of power, it is generally considered an NPC. Pretty much a short-term or recurring thing. That's just how it's been done here.

Again, not coming after you or anything, just making sure the norm of the forum is upheld. Also, I have nice stuff to say about 45% of the time here, and it's usually about Nate's body or Jen's...or Jen. xD

Have fun, and welcome, despite teh roadbumpz.
Sage
Almost Famous

Next

Return to Roleplay Discussion