Dystopia

Skip to content

Change font size

A Face in the Crowd.

Moderators: Amethyst, Sage

Re: A Face in the Crowd.

Postby Sage on Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:20 pm

The man, who seemed to expect at least some manner of surprise from her, as first-timers often exhibited, howled with laughter in response to hers, while slamming his hand onto Xavier's back as he managed to free his arm.

" Don't worry, Girlie. There's more teh be had for Xavier, here. We got a standin' deal, ya see? " The man's words were only a temporary break in his obnoxious laughter, and as Xavier walked back to her side, he pointed the crossbow-like contraption at her and pulled a trigger hidden in his palm. The menacing bolt zoomed toward her, but just short of attaching itself in her soft tissue it exploded into brilliantly colored scraps of paper which burned up as they touched the air, sizzling and issuing tiny wisps of smoke as they did. The man broke into even louder laughter at the sight of his work and turned around to fiddle with a pile of clockwork mechanisms on a sturdy work table.

Xavier shrugged, seeming almost embarrassed at the man's antics for the briefest of instants. " This is Jack's Almost-Lethal Practical Supply and Sweet Shop. That would be Jack, the proprietor of said establishment unfortunately, and the lovely young lady here is Miss Frankie from parts unknown. I thought I'd drag her along to bear witness to your insanity as I needed to come in here anyway. "

The middle-aged craftsman simply beamed with pride in response to any insult Xavier felt necessary to stick to him, still winding down his laughter to a slow chuckle. " Yes, well. Don't let this one fool ya none, he's no better. A dead man, haven't ya heard? Nothing worse than a Revenant with a sweet tooth, ah ha haa! "

Xavier sputtered and faced her as he took up her arm again, as she seemed both uncomfortable here without the gestures, and also enjoyed it as much as he. " Did I mention he's insane? I seem alive enough, hmm? "

Jack neglected to turn and pursue his accusation further, but instead happily flitted away with overly dextrous hands, molding into no particular shape a pile of gears, springs, and other various and sundry pieces of junk.

The room itself was overflowing with several pieces of slightly more completed objects which all appeared to be either lethal or completely harmless, though the likelihood of the harmless not being lethal, or the lethal not being harmless in this store was low. " Take a look, please. I've added several new items since the last time, as per usual, you'll be needing to figure out the function yourself, of course. I'd stay away from the pocket watches, however. Wouldn't want to die a horrible death because you were curious of the time, eh, Girlie? Hahaa~ "
Sage
Almost Famous

Postby Skylar on Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:43 pm

“Just Frankie is fine.” She had nothing more to say on the matter. What would she offer him, a hand shake? Not a chance in hell. As she turned to look around, the old wiser crackers words tore into her mind. Dead? Her eyes narrowed slightly as she turned her gaze from “Jack” to Xavier.

Alive enough meant little in the lands she had been through. The dead could walk and talk, but generally weren’t the socializing type. She opened her palm and wrapped it around his oversized bicep. Least, oversized to her. It was true enough, he felt real, he was here after all, but something about him did strike her, as if he was endued by something greater then them.

She spoke not another word, her mind wondering over and over the old mans words. Not that it was any of her business really, but she was curious, and contemplating on if she should even bother questioning Xavier about the statement. She kept a tight grip on his arm, being sure not to touch or bump anything. She’d hate to cause an accident....
Skylar
Almost Famous

Postby Sage on Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:50 pm

Xavier browsed a line of weapons laid out haphazardly on a workbench, each inlaid with trim that made the sword appeared segmented, with each segment displaying a dimly glowing rune. He picked one of them up, carefully, by it's handle and watched in amusement as the 'segments' disjointed, causing the sword to fall apart into useless sections.

The old man turned with a wide smile spanning his face from ear to ear and pointed to a hand-shaped set of tablets near the swords. Each one had a numeric identifier along with the price, as did the swords, hung from pieces of string. Xavier delicately placed his hand to the rune, squeezing one eye shut as he did so. He picked the bladeless hilt back up and the sections of the sword magically flung back into shape, creating as sturdy a sword as he had seen previously. He let out an excited gasp and chuckle and placed the sword forcefully in Frankie's hands, whereby it immediately fell apart again.

" Only works for the owner! Heh heh, useful accidental disarms, guard confiscations, or general misdirection! " Jack spoke up matter-of-factly, his pride for his skill with such enchantments evident.
Sage
Almost Famous

Postby Skylar on Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:06 pm

There she stood with a blade less hilt, scattered pieces of the blade falling all over. She didn’t panic since she had just watched him do the same thing, nor was she half as excited. She guessed it was the little things in life that brought these men joy, she couldn’t hide her smile.

“Ya know, you have a half way decent lookin lady on your arm, is this what you plan on doin with her all day?” Her smile grew as she offered him the wink he had given her so many times thus far. Truth was, she was afraid to touch anything since Jack mentioned the watches....

“You have a real talent Jack.” There was a hint of cheer in her voice. She liked seeing people happy, hearing the joy in their voices as they spoke, it was something rare these days. Her belly rumbled loudly and she made a sour face. “Anywhere good to eat around here? I’m starving.”

Not only was she hungry, but her interest was now peaked with this stranger who deemed himself her guide. She wasn’t ready to let him go just yet, now with all the things Jack had said about him. Perhaps it wasn’t just that he was beautiful to look at to her, maybe there was a reason she was pulled to him out of the many other faces that blessed the crowd on this day.
Skylar
Almost Famous

Postby Sage on Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:58 pm

Jack doubled over with laughter, easily amused by Franchescia's comment to Xavier. Though he stopped laughing entirely when she mentioned talent, causing Xavier to pick up in his place.

" Jack's got a real talent alright. He used to be employed by the crown, but one too many explosions and accidental poisonings create a real setback for potential employers. When he gets it right, he's the best, but as for the rest-- "

" Alright, alright. You've poked your fun at an old tinkerer. You take this young lady to the Saint statue, and I'll toss in a dozen Quicksands. "

Xavier's brow furrowed, as though he were seriously contemplating the consequences of taking a stranger to see a random statue. But the value of whatever 'Quicksands' were seemed to have won out, and he snatched up a pale small, pale sack near the door on his way out, making sure to get the hilt from Frankie.

" Fine, but I'm taking this as well. And I want double the exchange for the seeds next time! "

Xavier had the final word as he slipped the sack and the hilt with all it's blade pieces into his nearly-full pack and drug Frankie out of the pocket dimension out of which Jack operated. He took a moment to catch his breath after warping through the shelves of expired candy and took a look around to make sure no one had seen.

" Sorry, he can be a bit...abrasive at a glance. But Jack's a good enough man. He was the reason for many a victory for Algeroth over the years, which is why the authorities let him alone. Anyway, what do you like to eat? There's plenty of good food to be had here, but the best stuff is in the Residential District. "
Sage
Almost Famous

Postby Skylar on Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:34 am

With a slight smile and a passing wave to Jack, she was pulled back through the...whatever it was. The horrible smell assaulted her nostrils once more, she knew where she was now anyways.

It wasn’t that she didn’t hear his words, her mind was just somewhere else... “What’s with this statue he wants you to take me to?” He didn’t seem pleased that Jack had even suggested such a thing, and that alone peaked her interest in it.

“Oh, uhm, I’ll eat almost anything, really.” By looking at her you would think she didn’t eat anything. While her figure was feminine, she was much too skinny, mainly because there were days she didn’t eat, days on end in fact. It all just depended on where she was. Right now, she could out eat a grown man she was so hungry.

“You lead the way, I’ll go wherever you take me.”
Skylar
Almost Famous

Postby Sage on Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:36 pm

The young mercenary didn't bother trying to explain. He'd made a deal to show her the statue, not explain it. He made sure to grab his box, and another from beneath the counter before he made his way out of the shop with his new friend. The old man who dealt with the customers never once took notice of Xavier, as though he could not see him, but his eyes fell eerily on Frankie as she walked from the store, his usual grim expression unchanging.

" Who knows what Jack's thinking is? Perhaps he's just a sentimental old man who wants me to share with you a history lesson? "

Xavier pulled his head low on his forehead to further disguise his features as they approached a massive gate blocking an arch made of fine black stone, as was Castle Warheight. High above the arch, on pedestals facing one another were statues of two large phoenix. They were monoliths in an epic struggle, casting what appeared to be ice and fire at one another, set in stone. As they approached, several armed guards turned in their direction and took a few steps toward them, blocking their path.

" Non-citizens may be allowed into the Residential District at nightfall, please enjoy the Trade District's many-- "

Xavier pulled back the thin white fabric from his wrist, revealing several small black markings across his veins. The men ceased their monotone explanation and reverted almost to the exact same expression of the old man in the sweets shop. It was as if they could no longer see Xavier at all. With a great moaning, the gate clanked open for them, and as they entered, their senses would be assaulted.

The Residential District was much different from the Trade District. The presence of patrolling guards was noticeably smaller, and the area was much greener. Exotic plants and soft grass covered all that the walkways and foundations did not. There were tall trees casting shade and green veils across everything, and the smell of Algeroth's cuisine mixed subtly with burning fragrances, fine leather, and hot steel, steaming in salt water quenches.
Sage
Almost Famous

Postby Skylar on Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:44 pm

“Why do I feel like you aren’t being completely truthful with me?” It was more under her breath then aloud, but none the less it was how she felt. She followed him past the other man, eying her like she was some kind of side show freak. She gawked back at him, wondering what she was missing...

She wrapped her arm once more in his as the guards approached them. She wondered if they learned that she was the one that stole all the monies from the air craft, and that she was the one that stole away with the luggage. Then they started off on their rehearsed speech....

She watched in awe as Xavier pulled his sleeve back and they retreated as quickly as they had came. The gate opened and as they walked forward, she couldn’t help but toss a glance back to the guards, wondering why they had such an odd look on their faces.

With all the beauty that surrounded them, her mind was elsewhere. She didn’t even take the time to soak it all in before pulling him off the path, over to the side, where they would be alone. Her voice was low as she spoke, a whisper... “What is going on here? Who are you?”
Skylar
Almost Famous

Postby Sage on Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:11 pm

Xavier sighed woefully. He had hoped to use this girl to get away from his unusual interactions with Algerothians for a few hours, but it seemed that his old life followed him in too strong a sense to be ignored.

" Maybe I'm not being truthful with you. In fact, though, what have I really told you about me? Anything I say to you is subject to question as we don't know each other that well, but hey, you've probably got a few secrets yourself. Isn't that right, Frankie? "

His smile had faded into an annoyed restlessness that sought for the ending of this subject, but he didn't want his time with her to end, either. There was no real reason not to tell people who he was. He would probably be heralded as a hero, given a parade, even. People would never leave him alone, and though his contract with the Metsuke was over, he would probably fall back into his role as a soldier. Xavier had done his duty, and he only used his skills now to make enough to survive.

His eyes narrowed at her in agitation and frustration as she pulled him aside into an alley. " My name is Xavier. I used to be in the military. Today, I'm shopping. " He shoved the two thin boxes of treats into his now-overflowing pack and looked around.

" Look, I have a place near here, and I need to drop some things off. Also, the statue's near there. Mind if we make a stop before we eat? The other box was for you if you want some to tide you over. "
Sage
Almost Famous

Postby Skylar on Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:11 pm

The mournful sigh that escaped his lips almost broke her heart. Had she said something wrong? In the past she never really cared much for this kind of interaction between commoners of the places she had been. He was different though, so much different in fact that she actually felt bad that she may have upset him.

“It’s not about secrets Xavier, it’s about details, and it seems both of us have left a few out, no?” She smiled and snatched his arm up again. To look at this man he came across as a brute, but his heart was tender, that much she knew, and today she was on his arm, and everyone would damn sure know that.

“We can stop wherever you like. I’m not going to drop over dead from starvation anytime soon.” She laughed heartily at herself, but secretly wanted to ask him more question. She could play sly.... “So what is it you’d like to know about me? I reckon I don’t have anything to hide.”
Skylar
Almost Famous

Postby Sage on Sat May 01, 2010 1:00 am

Without another word, he pulled her across the busy street they had stopped near and down a few long alleyways between extraordinary homes of the citizens, as well as many restaurants and taverns. The smell wasn't as pleasant as out in the open greenery, but there were still many living pieces of art floating in from the main courtyards.

The Residential District, instead of being composed of several circular strips of structures radiating out from the second wall was a series of cul de sacs, so to speak. There were several relatively narrow streets which branched out almost endlessly into groupings of buildings. There was no obvious difference in most of the homes in relation to the shops, aside from the signing, and all the buildings were pretty close to the same size as the buildings in it's semicircle.

He lead them behind one of the mid to larger range semicircles and inside. Going the back way was quicker, sure, but the statue in question was outside the front of the building and going in the back allowed him to delay a little longer. The home around them seemed odd, a feeling of a near-haunted nature lingering about. Though it was well-kept, it seemed abandoned, as though the only inhabitants were the ones who occasionally came by to maintain or clean the structure. Xavier pulled the large pack off his back and pulled several choice objects out of it, leaving the pack itself along with her box of sweets on a large sturdy table in the center of the central dining room. The bottom floor they were on consisted of an ill-decorated study overflowing with books, mostly on strategy and war, and maps of Algeroth, as well as farther away lands.

There was a living area equipped with a glassy black fireplace, and a collection of trophies and furniture surrounding the front entrance. The objects were not trophies of game, or of philanthropy, but of war and reflected their origin in the wear that was evident on most of them. Downstairs were a small kitchen and Xavier's rough workshop where he made minor repairs or tinkered, and upon closer inspection it would be obvious it had not seen use in months. Upstairs were a few simple quarters, Xavier's suite and bath, and a shrine to Dyami, child of the Phoenix God Naos, the Blessed One. There were several portraits lining the halls to the different rooms on the first floor, each with black velvet pulled back like curtains on windows. Several sparse portraits were completely eclipsed by the black velvet rather than framed by them, and these each bore a single lit candle to it's left.

" Make yourself at home, I'm just going to change clothes and put some things away, they leave fresh fruit and bread on the dining table, and there's some fresh water down in the kitchen. "

Xavier gave one strange look around the room, and then withdrew a single curved blade from his belt and placed it purposefully on a counter before her, before locking the door they'd come through.

" Please do not go to the third floor, and please do not answer the door. " His eyes were intense, almost fierce as he spoke this warning, and then he disappeared up the stairs, pulling off his swordbelt as he climbed.
Sage
Almost Famous

Postby Skylar on Sun May 02, 2010 1:20 pm

She took in as many sights as she could as he drug her along with him. She had no idea where they were going, really, she didn’t care. It really didn’t take long before the were upon the home she assumed was his, since he took her inside.

Once inside, she looked around, not wanting to nib nose to the point of rudeness. She smile and nodded at him. It was a quaint house. Not all that well organized, and the decor was a bit askew, but none the less the belongings were nice. Least, nicer then anything she owned, which was basically nothing.

She raised a brow as he locked the door and places his sword on the counter. It was his warning that bothered her slightly. Not that she would answer the door at someone elses home, but why would he mention that? She gave him a nervous nod, unsure of what to think, and before she could say a word, he was gone.

She stayed put. That was her plan from the get go. Stealing from this man was never a consideration, his kindness already had been more then charitable. She crossed her arms under her bosom and stared at the sword. Finely crafted, and so beautiful, but even at that, she couldn’t bring herself to touch it. Quietly, she hummed to herself and rapped her long fingernails on the counter waiting his return.
Skylar
Almost Famous

Postby Sage on Sun May 02, 2010 10:50 pm

" It's almost dark. "

A tiny girl had suddenly appeared at the top of the stairs leading down into the kitchen and workshop. She held several cleaning instruments and solvents in her shaking hands, and she seemed nervous, anxious to leave.

" You shouldn't sta-- " She seemed to come to some sort of a realization as she heard steps coming from upstairs, as Xavier walked around. Then came the sound of running water. " He's...here? They said he almost never comes here. I...I have to go. "

She disappeared through the front door and the sounds of her retreating footsteps grew louder as soon as she was on the outside, as she burst into a run. From the front entrance, the last rays of light began to shimmer out of existence as the day turned to night. Almost immediately the house took on a different appearance. The sound of stirring upstairs had ceased, and the house began to grow unnaturally dark. The only sources of light in the house were the flickering lights amongst the portraits, and an odd glow that seemed to be coming from the knife on the table.

Rumbling. Slow at first, it's existence almost deniable but slowly it began to rise in intensity and volume, the house quaking as a foreign wind blew through the house, despite there being no open doors or windows. The marble tiles near the door they had entered began to crack and shift. Gradually, the air in the room changed direction and began escaping through the tiny hairline wounds in the floor.

Then the tiles began to disintegrate, creating a vacuous black nothingness beneath the floor there. It would cut off any chance of escape, and were she to check her surroundings, the same insane occurrence would be taking place near every window and door, creeping inward toward the three halls and the portraits that lined them. She would be forced to travel toward them, whereby the engravings beneath them would become readable. Even the portraits covered by the black velvet had small gold plates visible beneath them, each with a name and two spaces for dates.

The first, on the right read:

Alistair Baptiste
5029-5144

It would be one of the few which was veiled by opaque black curtains, and the ones that were not were missing the second year beneath their names. At the end of the largest hallway, there was one portrait, larger than the others. She would need to be closer to read it, but from behind it's curtained frame was the source of the wind, which carried a sickly sweet scent of decay.
Sage
Almost Famous

Postby Skylar on Tue May 04, 2010 8:50 am

The small girl was cute, but the look of fear, surprise....whatever it was took Frankie by surprise herself. “Wait, no...who are you?” But the child stayed good to her word and was gone. Frankie took a step to go after her, remembering that he had asked her not to open the door or something to that effect. Then suddenly as darkness began to envelop the outside, it seemed to take hold of the inside as well.

Her stray locks of hair were blown up around her face as a phantom wind blew through the house. Unnatural sounds teased her ears as the darkness grew more and more black. As she went to step once more toward the door, she realized that the tile were gone, in fact, they were gone all around her, save for one path.... “Xavier!!?”

With no other choice but to follow the path, she did so. At first she was almost in awe at the odd lightening of the framed images, until that was she noticed the name plates as well. None of them, of course rang a bell with her, this being her first time in this particular land.

With confusion growing more intense on her face, she looked further down the isle. A putrid odor assaulted her immediately and she turned her face away, but not her eyes. Something told her not to go on, turn back.....but back where!? Before she knew it, she was at the end of the largest hall, looking at the largest portrait, she leaned in to read it....
Skylar
Almost Famous

Postby Sage on Tue May 04, 2010 5:58 pm

Saint Xavier Gottheit
5027-5144

The logical conclusion would be easy to make. The covered portraits were of those in Xavier's life whom had fallen, and yet lastly there was the portrait of Xavier himself. As the wind whipped the curtains around Xavier's portrait, Frankie would be assaulted by glances of a silhouette of a figure, just a black mass with blazing white orbs for eyes. It seemed to be moving, closer and larger with each glance the curtains allowed, hands raising toward her as if beckoning for her to join it.

Finally, just as one would think the being would have been able to step out of the portrait to attack her, it would be gone. Replaced instead by the briefest glimpse of a corpse. Nothing but bones forgotten in the desert, and then? They were gone. The floor returned, there was enough light to see, and the sounds and smell were gone. Xavier bounded happily down the stairs, wearing a simple white tunic and black short pants. His feet were bear, and he carried his armor and near-empty pack slung over his shoulder, his vision partially obscured by still-damp hair.

" Frankie? "
Sage
Almost Famous

PreviousNext

Return to Algeroth