Dystopia

Skip to content

Change font size

A Face in the Crowd.

Moderators: Amethyst, Sage

Re: A Face in the Crowd.

Postby Skylar on Thu May 06, 2010 1:14 pm

A gasp escaped her lips and her hands quickly met them and covered them in astonishment. Instinctively this time, she took a step back, catching a glimpse of something from the corner of her eye. The curtain tussled violently around the portrait and with one of her hands, she tried to control it.

A person? She squinted her eyes trying to get a better look at the dark figure. It’s eyes were really all she could make out, other then the fact that it seemed to be getting closer.... “Hello?” She didn’t know what else to do, and for a moment she thought it was waving to her to come closer.

A huge lump began to form in her throat. She wasn’t sure if she was going to vomit, or scream. Then, nothing. It was gone? But replacing it was a horrible looking corpse, then she realized it was a scream caught in her throat when it burst forth from her mouth.

Suddenly the lights were back to normal, everything was in order, and the sound of her own screaming was cut through by the sound of Xaviers voice calling her name. She ran around the corner, nearly running into him, her chest rising and falling rapidly. “What the hell is going on here? WHO are you?”
Skylar
Almost Famous

Postby Sage on Thu May 06, 2010 8:04 pm

Xavier's lightheartedness quickly disappeared as he saw Frankie's face. He dropped everything he carried, allowing it to clatter down the rest of the stairwell. He flitted past her at a mercurial pace and pressed his body against the door that the maid had exited, locking several mechanisms on it. He let out a sigh once it was done, and made sure to pull the curtains closed, tight, as he trudged back toward his guest thinking about how to explain. He ran his fingers through the back of his hair as he exhaled one long breath, then let his hands drop to his sides.

" I'm sorry. I told them to lock the damned doors. "

He raised his hands at an odd angle toward her. He would offer her an embrace of comfort if she accepted it, though it wasn't a natural thing for him.

" I'm Saint Xavier Gottheit. " Xavier pointed out the front window, to a statue in the center of the courtyard that existed between the houses and shops in this particular cul de sac. There was a man, looking to the sky with a dreamy expression on his face. He drug a large sword behind him, almost reluctantly, and glorious wings erupted from his back, pointing straight behind him. Behind his head was a large halo, cradling of all things, a Leviathan. It was enchanted by magic, and not connected to the rest of the statue.
Sage
Almost Famous

Postby Skylar on Sun May 09, 2010 8:00 am

She watched him as he locked the doors and closed the curtains. Still the look of fear and confusion so thick on her face it was unmistakable. When his arms outstretched toward her, she ran into them and wrapped her own around him. She was beyond scared, still shaking in fact.

As he spoke, she looked out the window to the statue. “Saint?” It was really all she could muster for now, still unsure if she really saw what she thought she saw. She moved back away from him, the dates under the picture etched in her mind. “Dates.....there were two of them under your name....”

She looked around frantically, remembering he had made it a point to not open the door. She leaned against the wall, sliding down it. With knees bent, bottom on the floor she buried her face in her knees. She was a strong woman, so she thought, but this....this was all too much. “Did you....” Her words ceased as she shook her head, she felt like her heart would pound right outta her chest, and that lump, it was back, causing her words to be less then a whisper... “Are you......dead?”
Skylar
Almost Famous

Postby Sage on Sun May 09, 2010 2:08 pm

Xavier sighed. His eyes pleaded with her for understanding. " Yes, Saint is a title given posthumously. But I am no revenant. I am a mortal, no more or less than you, though I am incomplete because of an unfortunate set of circumstances. "

The statue outside of Xavier was an incredible likeness. The features were fair and soft, even though made of stone, as by the hand of an incredibly talented sculptor. He carried an overly large sword, dragging it in his wake as though he detested the thought of violence, and his gaze skyward, eyes dreamy. A large stone halo floated behind his head, detached and enchanted to float away from the rest of the statue. At his feet were a book and a strange-looking dagger, and most amazing of all were a giant ivory wingspan erupting out from his shoulders, and lifted in perfect alignment with the horizon.

To an outsider, it might make him resemble an angel, though Algerothians knew better. The halo would resemble his Sainthood, a symbol of status, of good and of service to man. The wings were Xavier's own, a genetic gift born of a rare occurrence in Descendant blood. It was rare, but not impossible that a Descendant born of human and Sagastic blood could have the genetic predisposition to grow wings upon reaching maturity.

" The being of shadow. Did you see it? Did it speak, or show you anything? I know it can be frightening, but there's nothing it can do to harm you here. "
Sage
Almost Famous

Postby Skylar on Sun May 09, 2010 6:27 pm

From her seated position she listened and searched her mind for the proper words to speak. For a moment they eluded her even though his question was easy enough to answer, her mind was still trying to make up and down of what she had seen and heard this evening.

“Yeah, I saw it.” Finally her voice broke the silence that hung for mere moments after his broke. However it seemed like an eternity. “It did not speak, but it beckoned me....I....I was just so scared." She wiped the tears from her cheeks with the back of her hand finally locking her gaze to him.

She considered getting up, but her body still felt as though it wasn’t there. Standing may be a bad idea, so still she sat on the floor. “Incomplete? What do you mean by that? What happened to make you that way?”

A flood of question perhaps, but none the less question she felt were fair for him to offer her answers to after the ordeal she had just been through.
Skylar
Almost Famous

Postby Sage on Mon May 10, 2010 3:45 am

" I died once. The specifics aren't important, but I was brought back here. There was a man trapped in hell unjustly, and a very powerful being offered him a chance to escape eternal damnation for a favor. " He looked down at her, and turned, sliding down to sit beside her. How do you tell someone that their body doesn't belong to them, but is owed in a contract you never agreed to sign?

" The favor was me, and did it ever come with strings. Believe me, I wouldn't have brought you here if I thought you would have to deal with that creature, but the locks I had made have proved capable thus far. It is drawn to me because of the strength, and current vulnerability of my soul. For some reasons, the Sleiden value my soul higher than others, and without complete ownership of my body I may as well not have one at all. "

He wouldn't try to explain further, as he wasn't sure of all the details himself. All he knew was that supernatural beings saw him only as a soul, wandering the earth, but mortals could still interact with him, and saw a body. He had been working to buy the rights to his body back, and he was almost there. So long as he could keep the shadows at bay long enough to succeed in one more big mission without further incident.

" I wouldn't blame you if you ran, you know. My company certainly isn't worth this. I can't apologize enough for exposing you to this ugly business, I just thought...for one night... " Xavier leaned across the hallway, easily reaching the other side without moving away from her, and yanked the soft velvet ropes that connected to the curtains, pulling the whole thing down, and revealing Alistair's portrait. He was a youth, in his early twenties. Seemingly his whole life ahead of him.

His body lay still against a background of granite, a peaceful expression on his face and eyes forever closed. A large shield bearing the Baptiste crest rested on his arms, which crossed his chest.

" ...it might be nice to be normal. "
Sage
Almost Famous

Postby Skylar on Mon May 10, 2010 1:08 pm

She rested her cheek on her knee and watched him as he spoke. His words seemed so sincere, so heartfelt had she not already been crying she swore she would be by now. She reached out and placed her hand on his thigh, patting it lightly.

“I’m not going to run.” Her voice broke the uncomfortable silence. “Even if I had somewhere to go.” She winked at him, trying to lift his spirits even if just for a moment.

She tugged lightly on him so he would lean in toward her as she straightened her legs out in front of herself, crossing her ankles. “Your company has been the most fun I have had in a long time, even with all this scary stuff.” She tucked her hair behind her ears, and again wiped the tears away from her cheeks.

“Tonight is your night to be as normal as you wanna be. I’m not here to judge the only person who has tried to befriend me in years. I’ll stay as long as you’ll have me, or until I decide to move on again.” That was her way, staying in a place for so long, then picking up and leaving without a word. Something told her this time could very well be different.
Skylar
Almost Famous

Postby Sage on Mon May 10, 2010 9:36 pm

Xavier smiled, pulling himself to his feet, and offering her a hand to do the same. He stretched once, and reached into his bag. He pulled out and put on a fine, but baggy pair of tan Xexorian trousers and a simple sleeveless vest, pale blue and white. He decided against wearing his full armor, though he did slip on a pair of his usual azure bracers before he pulled on his shoes, new belt, and his swordbelt.

" Why don't we go get something to eat. Best restaurant outside the castle, my treat. " He defaulted back to a somewhat carefree smile, reassuring her nothing would happen again so long as his previous warnings about the locks were followed.
Sage
Almost Famous

Postby Skylar on Tue May 11, 2010 12:59 pm

It was good to see him smile, and easier to smile back at him. Her fragile digits curled around his hands and squeezed. Perhaps, not so fragile. With his help, she boosted herself up, lingering for a moment before releasing his hands.

Going out seemed fun enough, and she took the time to pause and watch him dig all his things out of the bag. “Xavier?” She paused for another moment, thinking slightly on the next words she would speak. “Promise me that so long as I am with you, you’ll keep me safe...” An odd request maybe, but she couldn’t explain some of the things that had taken place in this strange land. He was one or more steps ahead of her in that aspect.

Brushing some hair from her eyes she looked down at herself. She wasn’t in drab attired, but she wasn’t in anything fancy either. Holding her arms out to her sides she looked up at him. “Will this do?” She didn’t want to be an embarrassment to a saint! Her saint, even if for tonight. Perhaps he hadn’t thought about the fact that her life as also anything but normal, and she, too had dreams of normality.
Skylar
Almost Famous

Postby Sage on Wed May 12, 2010 12:45 am

He didn't flinch, but in his mind a siren went off. Alistair had always been the one who protected people. He had his brother, his family, he'd even had love interests. And he had the power to be successful at it, those shields of his were devastating to attackers. But, Xavier. All he had ever had to worry about was pure offense, attacking before the enemy had a chance to attack first. He was the strongest, the most mobile, and his only real talents involved ending people's lives, not saving them.

But it felt nice to be asked, for once, to bear such a burden of responsibility. It felt normal. " As long as you're by my side, you don't have to worry. "

It wasn't exactly the direct response to her question she might have been after, but the seriousness she would be able to see in his eyes would speak volumes more than any promise he could make. If he had not been completely enthralled with this girl an hour ago, being needed and trusted in this very real way changed that.

Once she began speaking of clothes again, his mood lightened somewhat, and he made preparations to head out the front door. He retrieved the gleaming blade from the table in the kitchen, and tucked it securely at his side. " Oh, but haven't you heard? Guests of a Saint dine clothing optional. " Xavier was coming more and more out of his shell, his very thick shell, and he exploded into playful laughter as he unlocked the front door, and held his hand out, gesturing toward the open courtyard that held his statue. " I made a deal with a very old friend, if I recall. I must show the lady the statue. "
Sage
Almost Famous

Postby Skylar on Wed May 12, 2010 12:57 pm

Satisfaction. His answer was exactly what she wanted to hear, and with a nod, she dropped the subject. Though her eyes did not leave him. She wondered if this man before her understood how special he was, normal or not. He was the epitome of male beauty in her eyes. Strong and manly, yet gentle, even if others hadn’t had the blessing of seeing that side of him.

Her thoughts caused a gently smile to spread across her face. A smile that grew as his words continued. “Clothing optional while dining?” She approached him as he beckoned her to come, and instead of going on through the door, she grasped his hand in hers.

“Isn’t that supposed to be saved for dessert?” She raised a brow, a wicked little smile curling her lips upward once more. “Yes, you did indeed promise to show a lady the statue. But will I work instead?” She laughed at her own words drawing herself close to him. “Shall we?”
Skylar
Almost Famous

Postby Sage on Wed May 12, 2010 1:23 pm

Xavier took her hand, as was expected of him, and closed the door behind them as he walked them through the doorway. He took care to lock the front door, and turned to slowly approach the statue of his likeness, staring almost straight upward. The resemblance really was quite good, the mason that had done the job was skilled. His hair was a little longer all around, and did not stick out quite so much in extreme directions. He wasn't wearing the same azure armor as in the statue any more, and he had never once used the sword in the image. It was likely more of a symbol of strength than an actual representation of his equipment.

Xavier broke away from her grasp, to stand between her and the giant stone statue. He stretched backward once, rolling his neck and shoulders, and then an explosion of ivory erupted from behind him. The wings matched the statue almost perfectly, save for the iron rings which pierced the large joints of his real ones. In the visage, there were armored caps over the tips and large joints of his wings instead, and the feathers were much more well-kept than was apparent in real life.

" Let the record show, so far as the Old Man is concerned, that the lady has seen the statue, in the context that was agreed upon. " He would likely keep putting emphasis on that word, until she stopped denying it's application to her.
Sage
Almost Famous

Postby Skylar on Wed May 12, 2010 1:42 pm

As her hand left his, she made a circle around the statue which made her speechless. It looked exactly like him, save for the wings, that seemed to add an angelic touch to his facade. And while, he was not sporting these wings she saw on the statue, the angelic part did not go amiss with her.

As she looked back at him, suddenly something burst from behind him. She jumped slightly, mouth agape as she gazed upon his wings. “Oh my...” Her words trailed off as she moved around him. Reaching out she wished to touch them so badly.... “May I?”

“If it is a lady you would like to have on your arm tonight, I will gladly play the part.”
Skylar
Almost Famous

Postby Sage on Wed May 12, 2010 1:59 pm

Xavier carefully reached in front of him with his massive wingspan, surrounding the two of them in a protective sheath made up entirely of pristine white feathers. As the two wingtips overlapped, they would be forced closer together, and the cool-headed warrior could feel the heat rise in his face. A new sensation, altogether.

The feathers themselves were soft and pillowy to the touch, despite appearing as straight as razors. The structure beneath them however was incredibly dense, stronger than normal bone, but light enough for Xavier to be able to easily maneuver them. The high arch of the wing joint was several feet above their heads, creating the effect of being in a tall cylinder.

" Good. Unfortunately, you will have to make due with a scoundrel for company. " He couldn't bring himself to say the word 'mercenary.' She'd heard enough about his dirty secrets, at least for the hour.
Sage
Almost Famous

Postby Skylar on Wed May 12, 2010 4:45 pm

Within the protection of his wings, she turned a full circle to behold the beauty they offered. Gently, she trailed her fingertips over the all too soft feathers. This was truly one of the happiest moments she had, had in a long time. A moment she would not soon forget.

As she turned completely, she was once more facing him. His cheeks were flush which only caused her smile to grow. Her fingertips finished their dance across the feathers, only to come to rest on his cheek. “You have been nothing but honest with me, no?” It wasn’t so much a question toward him as it was a statement, but none the less the way she felt. "Your company is more then sufficiant."

She took a stop closer then necessary, her body daring to press against his. “Thank you for all this. You don’t know what it means to me.” She withdrew her hand from his face, sliding it down his cheek and neck, grazing his chest on the way back to her side. And with her voice barely a whisper she continued..... “What now?”
Skylar
Almost Famous

PreviousNext

Return to Algeroth