Dystopia

Skip to content

Change font size

Our Last Days as Children

Re: Our Last Days as Children

Postby Nayt on Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:39 pm

For Eld's sake, then, Gestahl continued: "In military training, like Hillcrest's militia training, you are far too busy to be distracted. You sleep five to six hours a night, wake up, eat breakfast, complete tasks until evening, eat dinner, and complete more tasks until midnight, whereupon you sleep and repeat consistently for the duration. It is as much conditioning as it is training. By the end, you are compliant, less likely to showboat or put yourself above your obligations, and exhibit uniformity, self control, and self discipline. Lack of discipline is rewarded with an increased workload and less sleep, guaranteeing either conditioning or removal from the program."

There was a long pause, as few really knew what to say when Gestahl spoke that much--let alone about something he seemed to be vastly knowledgeable on. Usually, he was a man of few words, but at his wife's request, he spoke to educate . . . not that his tone differed, of course. If there was anything Toushikyo learned from his father, it was how to be without expression.

"Some programs do not permit removal, and pile work in excess until you are compliant," Gestahl added.
Nayt
Olympic Badminton Champion

Postby Zach Kaiser on Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:56 pm

If Eld needed any more reason to believe that Gestahl had firsthand experience with military or militia other than in Hillcrest, his last statement sealed it. He still wasn't going to ask about it; maybe he'd see if his father knew anything. They went out for drinks on the rare occasion both had a night with nothing else to do.

"W-Well, at least a lack of discipline isn't one of Kyo's problems." While it could be argued that Eld wasn't always completely responsible, he was still good about taking care of things he needed to before going out and doing what he wanted to do. By comparison, Toushikyo made him look like he spent all his time gallivanting around town.

Signature by Nate-o
Zach Kaiser
Broseiden: God of the Brocean

Postby Nayt on Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:28 pm

"Yes," Gestahl nodded his head, "Toushikyo will do just fine."

"O-oh man . . ." Akizets trailed off. She hadn't actually thought about tough Toushikyo was going to have it, and that sounded really tough! "T-Tou, are you really gonna be okay?"

Toushikyo nodded his head. If there was anything he had, it was discipline and patience. Looking at the future, he might start to get homesick eventually, perhaps even tired, but by that point he was probably going to be close to going home, anyways. He wasn't too concerned.

On the subject, though, Noah couldn't help but toss in the question: "Any chance you could take the training, but not the militia job?"

Gestahl raised a brow. "Yes," he said, "But you'll cover your own expenses in training. Why?"

"Friend of mine says discipline's my greatest weakness," Noah replied, "Might sign up for their training, if it's that good at beating discipline into a person."
Nayt

Postby Zach Kaiser on Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:43 pm

"You certainly seem good at taking a beating, so it couldn't hurt," Eld observed dryly. He had little doubt the friend he was referring to was Kageko, and she certainly had him pegged. Noah didn't seem to think too far ahead when it came to...whatever it was he was doing. If he did, perhaps he'd get hurt less often.

"The way you guys put it, it sounds like a good experience." He wondered if Maya was still listening; maybe talking about this would help set her heart at ease about Toushikyo being gone for so long.

Signature by Nate-o
Zach Kaiser

Postby Nayt on Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:15 am

"Heh, you could probably use it yourself, kid," Noah retorted after a second.

Of course, he was just joking with that . . . but it might not have been far from the truth. If going through that brand of training was as helpful as Gestahl made it out to be, then Noah and Eld both probably could have used it, especially if they had it in mind to be capable of defending themselves or others.

"H-hey!" Akizets protested immediately, "I-- I'm gonna be goin' months without Toushikyo! Don't make me go months without Eldridge, too!"

"Ehhhh," Sarah rolled her shoulders, "Eld wouldn't be able to handle it, anyways."

"True. Toushikyo's a bit better built," Emily added after a moment of thought.
Nayt

Postby Zach Kaiser on Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:24 am

"Just because I'm not as strong as you two doesn't mean I'm weak," Eld repeated at Sarah's comment. "It would be tough, but I think I could handle it."

He agreed with Noah, for once; the training probably would do him some good, especially if he wanted to continue learning how to fight. However, there was one small problem with that.

"...But I'm afraid I don't have time for it. The training keeps you busy for every waking moment...I can't afford to stop my studies for two months."

Practicing martial arts was a hobby, a discipline even...but not a way of life. He wanted to become a doctor, and before long he'd be taking exams and applying to a university.

Signature by Nate-o
Zach Kaiser

Postby Nayt on Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:37 am

Noah shrugged his shoulders, "Only about two months. Same span of time most schools give you for summer break--and no one studies through summer break. Take it from me."

"H-heeeey!" Akizets protested again, "Don't try and convince him, now!"

Maya suppressed a sigh and hugged Toushikyo's arm. She'd have been a bit more sympathetic towards Akizetsumei were the same thing the girl was worried about not happening to her right now. But . . . Toushikyo would be back, of this she had no doubt, and hopefully he'd be all right. When he was back, they'd have all the time together they could ask for, with Toushikyo working only a little more often than he was at his last job. Maya looked up at his face quizzically, as if to silently ask all these questions at once . . . if only thoughts could be transferred. If only. So many conflicts in her life would have been resolved so, so quickly . . .

When Toushikyo looked back down at her, she couldn't help but smile, and for a second there, she could have sworn she saw a twinge at the corner of Toushikyo's lips.

Akizetsumei, too, hugged her boyfriend's arm, but in her case, it was more of a tackle following a dash to his side, whereupon she addressed Noah with a look of stubborn determination. "I-if he's gotta study then he's gotta study, you big jerk."
Nayt

Postby Zach Kaiser on Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:08 pm

"I-I study every summer," Eld murmured, a little embarrassed. Noah had a point: most people took breaks where they didn't study. He supposed schools wouldn't require you to study between semesters. It was easy to forget in a town that only had five years of school or so.

A slight sway to the side was the only sign that Akizetsumei's surge of affection phased him, at least physically. "In any case, it's not like I'm leaving right now." He smiled reassuringly down at her. "I'm pretty sure you have to sign up farther in advance than the day you leave."

It was maybe something to consider for the future, if he felt comfortable with how his studies were going, but it wasn't the kind of thing he could do on a spur of the moment anyway.

Signature by Nate-o
Zach Kaiser

Postby Nayt on Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:26 pm

"Yeah, true," Noah replied, "I might sign up for their next rounds, then. I mean, why not."

"Not to interrupt," Emily chimed in after a moment, "But weren't we here to see off someone a bit cooler than these two resident fools?"

Seeing Toushikyo off was about as emotional of an event as one could expect from something Toushikyo-centric. Which is to say, it was emotional, but all of that was subtle and all extremes, except for a couple (from Maya, earlier), were kept well hidden. It was almost universally concluded that Toushikyo would do fine, though, and that he'd make a good militiaman when he got out of training.

It was an early winter day when the clinic received an unfamiliar visitor--unfamiliar to Eld, at least, who had been the one to answer the door. It was mid-afternoon, and at the clinic door stood what appeared to be a Cizokian man of short, yet wide stature. He looked like the type to be in the same line of work as Gestahl, albeit not nearly as large. He may have been two Eld's wide, but certainly not three and a half or four Eld's wide. He dressed down nicely, almost too nice, and looked like he had shaved and cut his hair just earlier that day. He looked nice. Ready for an interview nice. Or at least something of similar importance.

"Is your father here?" was all the man asked.
Nayt

Postby Zach Kaiser on Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:43 pm

A Cizokian visitor was...unusual. Eld's mind quickly scrambled into the correct mode. "Yes sir," he said with a bow. "Please, come in." He definitely wasn't from Hillcrest, so Eld could only assume that he must've come a fair ways just to see his father, which meant he probably knew his father personally, which meant he was to be given a good deal of respect.

Fortunately, they did have house slippers for guests, though pretty much the only guests they had that used them were Eld's grandfather, Maya, and her father. He bade the guest to sit down in the living room while he fetched his father.

It was only a minute before he returned with Urikuse in tow; it wasn't every day they had a visitor from Cizok, after all, so it had to be some manner of importance. He recognized the man straight away, and made a snap decision. "Eld, could you return to your room? I'd like to talk to our guest in private."

"C-Certainly, father." Eld seemed a little confused as to why, but obeyed and with a final bow to the guest (and a look over his shoulder as he walked) he returned to his room as asked.

Once Urikuse saw his son shut the door to his room (and confirmed the door to the guest room was shut as well) he sat down across from the Cizokian man. "It's been awhile," he greeted his friend, extending his hand.

Signature by Nate-o
Zach Kaiser

Postby Nayt on Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:20 am

"Thank you," said the man with a slight bow to Eldridge.

He sat within the living room as Eld directed and waited patiently, though not without anxiety. At first, he was calm, sitting contently and confidently. But after a moment, he began to glance around, at the kitchen, down the hall, back towards the clinic, looking for something. Someone.

Soon, though, Urikuse was there and bidding his son to return to his room. The man silently bowed once more to Eld, returning the show of respect, before standing to meet Urikuse.

"Too long," he replied with a sad smile and a firm shake of Urikuse's hand.

It was impossible for him to still his nerves or quell his anxieties. He had so many questions he wanted to ask, he could hardly stand it. So many things he wanted to say to so many people, all so very important, that he felt like his heart would compress from the weight of it all.

Needless to say, he was an easy man to read.
Nayt

Previous

Return to Paradiso